Collaboration: iPhone/iPod touch project

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mikeOSX, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mikeOSX

mikeOSX New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

A friend of mine and I thought about teaming up with other people to develop a videogame for the iPhone/iPod touch. Both of us live in Spain, and since presential meetings would be quite hard to arrange, the team could share and comment its ideas via msn, e-mail...

We have a big bunch of great ideas for the game, but we need people specialized in the art of programming and 3D design/animation. Almost everything is prepared, but we lack of the most important thing: the team.

We are full of hope. The creation of a videogame is something that we wanted to do since forever, and we think that the iPhone/iPod touch plattform is a great chance to let the whole world know about us and about our projects. It is, indeed, a good decision.

If you are that kind of people that love videogames, if you have an ambitious nature and, of course, you fulfill the required requirements and knowledge... Stop thinking and join us!

Working as a small team is hard at the beginning (well, that is how everything begins, right?), but in the end, a well-done project is rewarding (and it is not only the cash).
    This matter is not a typical job offer, because it does not deal only with the money, it is something that becomes real thanks to the team’s unity and the hope of its members to see their projects published someday.

And that is... Priceless.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    By any chance, do you need a web person?

3. mikeOSX

mikeOSX New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for your interest.

In a future, when the develop of the video game comes to the end, we will need, for sure, a web programmer/designer.

It's very soon in this moment, but I can assure you that create a great web page is part of our plans ;)

4. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    "We have a big bunch of great ideas for the game, but we need people specialized in the art of programming and 3D design/animation. Almost everything is prepared, but we lack of the most important thing: the team."

When you say "almost everything is prepared", but then "need programmers and artists", I'm curious about what you already have? Is it just an idea, or do you have some sort of prototype? What skills do you guys bring to the table?

5. mikeOSX

mikeOSX New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for your response ;)

We have been working in the project since 9 months ago. The idea is really defined and planned and, in this moment, we are looking for persons who are interested in collaborate and being part of the developing team.

We are creatives and designers (characters, elements, actions, levels, situations, puzzles, interface, difficulty curve, etc), but we need the work of programmers to make real our ideas.

We sincerely think that it's a very creative and exciting idea, and we are confident that the project will like to all the members of the team. We believe that it fits perfectly with iPhone's philosophy.

We are basically looking for 3D artists (preferably animation), music/sound composers and programmers.
    At this moment, the preference are the programming area, but, of course, we are looking for persons who work in the design (creatives and designers (3D and 2D artists)) and sound areas.

6. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #6 Flickitty, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    The design process doesn't actually work that way.

Without being a programmer, artist or audio person, it is highly unlikely that your game is original in any capacity- you don't have a working prototype at all, and certainly not on the iPhone. Without this, you can't build a competent business model.

Post your ideas here, and I guarantee you will get immediate feedback. You may even get the interest of the top designers, programmers and artists, all vying for a position.

7. 9000bcgame

9000bcgame Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    do you know Joomla? Perhaps you could help me out with the website design of my new game and the corporate website?

8. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    joomla is seriously overkill for anything that is not massive.

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I agree with that comment for a few posts on TouchArcade, but don't you think you are making the assumption that the team who posted this aren't designers? I think the prospect of a fleshed out game design, with ready levels, and all the details already done, ready to just be turned programmed into code, would be attractive to a lot of programmers who aren't so good at the creative side of development.

Whoever they are, I think they did an original job posting with that nice graphic, and I think it shows they care about what they're doing.

But your advice is still helpful, and I might be wrong.

10. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Speaking as a developer, I love browsing pixel art forums and seeing mock-ups of game ideas. The idea that an artist has already fleshed out the visual look and feel of the project and already has (some) art done definitely motivates me to reach out to them and see if they'd be interested in collaborating.

While this post is well meaning and thought out, it doesn't really motivate me to seek out information about the project. I know it's hard for people to share their ideas for fear of being 'stolen', but I know that I would be a lot more motivated to help if I could look at some mock-ups and say "Yeah, that looks pretty cool"

Anyway, just my 2 cents on attracting developer talent.

11. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Just curious, what pixel art forums do you see people posting video game mock-up art? I'm considering doing a pixel art project soon, and the only real pixel art game I've seen in the app store is RPG Quest: Minimae.

And in terms of the game this thread is about, making a game when you're new is a huge learning process, and it's very fun. It all depends on how ambitious you're trying to be, but if this project doesn't get off the ground (like if you don't find a programmer), I highly suggest starting with something kinda simple and doing it yourself (or just you two). Some of the best games were done with just one or two people. A full "team" isn't really necessary for iPhone games unless you're making something huge. You do, of course, need to know how to program and make art on your own though, but it's really fun. And there's so many people who can do art and design, but not programming -- it's well worth learning.

I have 3 games in the App Store (one is more of a toy, though) and I've done almost all the work myself developing them, with my girlfriend doing parts of the graphics. I used audacity, a free sound editing tool, to record and edit sound effects, and I found royalty-free Creative Commons music on the internet. And my girlfriend and I have done all of the marketing for the games ourselves too.

It's a lot of work, but very rewarding. And remember, if you're trying to do this as a living, the more people involved the smaller a slice of the profits you get. And nowadays it's seriously hard to "get rich quick" off the App Store, so unless you make a big hit, it would probably be better to think of a single iPhone game profits split 5 ways as more of a hobby than a job. If you two make a game, you can split it 50/50, which is way better than splitting it 20/20/20/20/20.

12. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Hey micah, for some pixel art, check out 'Beat It!' by Glu. It's a pretty awesome game in all respects, but the pixel art(and how the scenes change) is just amazing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsqDGB0DWws

To the original poster(and really everyone else here), you really should read this article on why you should *Share Your Game Designs*: http://lostgarden.com/2005/08/why-you-should-share-your-game-designs.html

Basically, ideas for games are GREAT, but nobody is actually gonna steal them before they've seen them executed... So be more open with them, and you'll end up with better games.

It sounds to me like you guys JUST have an idea. Every single programmer has an idea for an amazing game they wanna make, so don't think that you guys bring something "magical" to the table, because I hate to break it to you, but EVERYONE around here is a "game designer". If you've really been working on it for 9 months, show us some visual design stuff or whatever, give us some juicy tidbits! We're not thieves, and we don't like being treated like we are, but we MIGHT be interested in your game if you show us something cool about it.

13. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I could put some mere animation and 3Dart on the table, it probably be free but im glad to offer any help needed! it just wont be as you might say, EPIC!>!>!

14. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

15. ElectricGrandpa

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario