Universal Battle of the Bulge - (by Shenandoah Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    #201 ddunham, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    iPad 1

Our QA team used an original iPad for about half of the testing. Memory is tight (we sometimes stop sound effects rather than exhausting memory), and there are some less-important iOS 6 features we can’t support. But the game works fine, and we can tell that a lot of players are indeed using the original iPad.

(The game is even better on a retina display, if you do decide to upgrade.)

2. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Will confirm that the retina graphics for this game are beautiful, sometimes I just like to zoom in on the map to maximum and check out the individual trees and buildings.

3. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    If it is any indication (or encouragement to you) I would definitely pay a premium price for such games and believe there is a market for them... it may not be a big market but it is definitely an appreciative market. :)

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Seconded...it's truly gorgeous.
    I often beam the game on the TV via AirPlay, it's really damn nice.
    Sometimes I wish it was even animated (I know I know) because it is so gorgeous I can almost see people running out of the trees.
    Banks of fog (like the ones you see at the start of the 'review game' video) would be awesome :)
    Just saying...the game is technically exceptional nonetheless.

5. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks, great.. I will play it for now on the original iPad, and some other day on the retina one than :)

6. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Have a question or his game as well. I am a complete noob o this genre, is tis a good starting game? If yes how is the tutorial? Thanks in advance or the reply.

7. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    In my opinion, BotB is the perfect platform to be introduced to the "classic board wargame" genre...it's rather easy to pick up and learn the basics, then you start to learn the finer nuances of the terrain map features and battle probabilities. The tutorial is decent also.

8. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
  9. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
  10. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Nope, she will notice the sharp spike in time spent on your iPad. Questions/queries ensure.

I still saving up for TPL.

BTW, I would like to have the rivers marked more clearer (I know, I should have memorised the map by now)

11. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    You can at least see the rivers more clearly by pressing and holding on the map.

12. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    PROTIP: if it's any kind of curved or squiggly line, it's a river. If its a straight border you can attack with multiple units. ;)

13. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Here's another incredible Quarter To Three article where developers and gamers muse upon their favorite or most feared territories in BotB:

The Hex is Dead
    http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/01/18/battle-of-the-bulge-open-mic-night/

Some excepts from the article:

Eupen
    Just look at Eupen, so tall and long and forested, no roads entering it from the east, protecting Verviers and its 2 VP like a cup protects the junk, and tell me it’s not the most important territory on the map. If the Allies reinforce it even a tiny bit, the Axis is forced south into a river-choked roadless passage through Malmedy. The people of Verviers will enjoy at least two extra days of cheese and wine socials before having to shine their bayonets and cock their hats.

Werbomont
    It is right at that tantalizing corner of the Ourthe that is just one space away from the Meuse. Your panzers are merrily cruising along, enjoying the nice, dense forest and its big defense bonus. And then, bam! They are suddenly out in the open, stuck behind this river. So either they attack across the river, which they can only do one at a time, and probably get cut to pieces, or they sit there uselessly until the weather clears and the allies slaughter them.
    It’s no better from the Allied side. “Hey, if I send some guys into Werbomont, I might be able to cut off the panzers in the north!” Uh huh. Nothing can go wrong with that plan.

Huy
    It is the light at the end of the tunnel for the Axis. If Panzer divisions race to that territory early in the game, the Allies need to scramble to defend. From there, it’s only a short drive across the Meuse at multiple points.
    Yet it always seems just out of reach. It’s the high water mark in most of the games I’ve played. If the Axis can’t capitalize, they need to weigh the risk of holding it. That’s because it’s one of the few territories with the clear terrain modifier. Units on both sides gain a +1 chance to hit. Battles at Huy quickly turn into a bloodbath. The Allies usually have enough reinforcements to take that trade.
    There’s never a dull moment at Huy.

Bastogne
    I love how the road network around and through Bastogne has a large effect on dictating movement, as it did historically. I love how the German player is more or less forced to the north if he is unable to take the space. Mostly, I love how the placement and design of the space forces both players to make critical decisions early on. And I love that the game design gives both players a decent chance to take/ hold the space if they decide to make that their focus

Trois Ponts
    If I can secure Trois Ponts in the early game, playing either side, I feel like I can take a breather. Completely untrue and probably derives from very early testing, but it’s my little comfort blanket. It’s flanked by Rivers and Forest and is a key point in the Eupen-Bastogne line that’s important to both sides.

14. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
  15. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
  16. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
  17. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Definetly enjoying the game, but I think for a strategy game, it should have more units variety and additional type units , that would make it much more complex and realistic, current units divide into 3 types is just too simple for a strategy like this in my humble opinion.

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I think this operation game are on "division" level and the amount of complexity is just right so the players could concentrate on more on maneuver than micro-managing the troops.

Try playing against real human and you will find the 17th December can be really fun and exciting (and sometime desperate, too)

I think what this game needs now is in-game chat and more scenario variation options.

19. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
  20. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Yes it's a must buy for any real strategy fan and I was always particullary more interested in North Africa theatre of war which I will definety enjoy playing on division tactical level with this game.This will be a hot summer ! :)