Worried about infinity blade gameplay

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Borgqueenx, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    To quote from the interview
    sounds like the two virtual sticks walking will be removed. That would be really ashame as i love to do that, especially with those graphics.
    Also seems its now completly third person, not first person ability anymore.

Ofcource id still buy it fore sure...but come on...i think i will miss epic citadel once the game comes out.

2. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Honestly, I don't really care about the movement. As long as you can control where you go i'm fine with it.

3. Oh no :/

I much prefer free roam games.

4. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Hey, whatever improves the gameplay is ok with me.

5. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    They're making the game control naturally for iOS, rather than implement simulated controller inputs. I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised by what Infinity Blade turns out to be, and how it will play.

6. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    That's big sentence, I see a lot behind.

First game designers tend be glued in past controls designs and have hard time to think different than controls used in past. I totally agree with that, at least game designers should think of this potential problem much more.

There are natural controls. Well I think it's the trap and all the difficulty of the amazing freedom that offer virtual controls. I don't think there are really natural controls, most need to be learned.

When first mouses appear you should have live it and felt by yourself how it was a difficult tool during the first days or even weeks. I know now it's hugely different and kids seem have almost birth with a mouse in hand. It's just a feeling, the point is in one way or another they had to learn it. It's just that it's now it's a very common device and only see some other people use it at ease is enough for very young kids to make a huge step in learning using a mouse even before have use any.

I see only one type of controls that is natural, it's pure touch tap (no swipe, pads, sticks, arrows and so one). Ie tap involves immediate effect and that's all. But this isn't new at all in gaming devices, because it's totally close to pure point and click with the mouse, even if clearly it's quite more technical with a mouse. Anyway it's a game control design already fully explored and we know since age it's a bit limited and games need be adapted to allow such simplification of controls.

Because of this, there's perhaps natural controls but it's a big design limit to stick to it.

We will see but I see two points:
    • If it's limited to pure tap controls as I explained above, I already know a game that seems very very close to the description quoted in OP. It's Doom Resurrection, myself this game has been a big surprise how it could be much more pleasant than I would bet.
    • But many players won't be able to adapt mentally to such games because first person shooters like on PC are now like a fully natural game mechanism and control mode. So have a game where you can aim, shoot, look around to search some secret or some stuff, dodge, and so on, but not moving freely but from one position to another position, well quite many players just won't be able to adapt to such limits.

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    We have to learn how to adapt. We're not using a PSP, XBox, or DS. We're using an iDevice that only has buttons for power, home, and volume (such an elegant design :)). I was a little worried too about the point and move controls, but the more I think about them, the more I think they'll work best, especially on iPhones and iPods.

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    @Qordobo Why was that the most confusing thing I've read in awhile? It's either the punctuation or the grammar, but I couldn't understand the point. :eek:

9. Controls - you gotta get used to them.

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Lol thanks! :D

11. Lol NP :D

12. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Dude you know I'm your biggest fan. Cap'n nonsense to the rescue!

13. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Lol you are rude with me. Ok fine let go.

Ok let start with the first sentence. So ok you can't understand it. You have zero clue?

Let me try make it more clear:
    Ok so is this first sentence more clear for you now? :)

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Not at all, if it's a language translation barrier, I understand. :)

15. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Ok you didn't answer for the first sentence explanation so I bet it is fully clear for you now. So let go for second sentence.

The first sentence was a first point I understood in alchemistrpm sentence I quoted. :) And second sentence means:
    Is the second sentence ok now?

16. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Lol ok.

So:
    Aren't right English sentences? Don't you push it a little far?
    The means nothing for you?

Ha well.

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Fixd?

18. t0panka

t0panka Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Creative Director
    Slovakia
    there wil be ''fruit ninja controls'' during the battle and then ''epic citadel controls'' during searching for items so its win win .)

19. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I've yet to play any game on the iDevices with a joystick that feels natural, or as responsive as a physical one.

Using the touch to walk (almost like using waypoints), in Citadel was a much better experience, esp. since I could swipe to look while moving. For me that should be a default way to move.

Having said that, the joystick in Citadel is the best I've encountered so far.

20. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    #20 Qordobo, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    Well, don't you push it a bit far? Your sentence I quoted explained that:
    • Many game designers design their games for pad or stick. And then implement a virtual pad or stick to make the game works on touch device.
    • At the opposite designers of infinite blade design their games for controls that are natural for a touch device.

I agree with the first sentence but think I could develop a little the point, well ok I won't develop again. :)

I disagree with the second sentence, I don't agree that there are natural controls. I tried use the mouse as an example to show that there's no natural controls, all are learned.

The only natural control I see for a touch device is the simple tap. So your quote that Infinity Blade is designed for natural controls means it is designed for simple tap controls only.

But simple tap control isn't a true new stuff, we already knew it through point and click on a PC. It's an interesting game design but it limits a lot the game design.

So if like you wrote, Infinity Blade will use only tap "natural" controls, it will invent nothing. I bet you'll find multiple games on PC already using point and click in the same way that Infinity Blade will use tap commands.