iPad Lost Cities - (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'll probably buy for the iPhone before all is said and done, but I do wish it had an iPad version. I also do my gaming almost exclusively from tablet.

2. dwerny

dwerny Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yeah I was also looking for an iPad version. I guess I will wait to buy :-(

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I picked it up anyway. The game seems interesting but a little simple. The presentation is top notch.

As for Playdek not even being close to surpassing TCM, I'll disagree. Playdek's work on multiple licenses over the last year (including expansions for Ascension, the incredible Summoner Wars and the upcoming Martial Law expansion for Nightfall) have placed them very close to the top of the hill if not the very top. Along with them we have also seen great work from Codito in wrangling those menacing euro titles into a manageable package and Stainless in porting Magic to the iPad. To say that Carcassonne is still the absolute best board game on the app store wouldn't be fair to them.

4. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I purchases this game and it's ok, not tooo thrilled about it (yet) as I am usually with a Knizia title but it's good enough.
    I have a question though:

It says the game ends when the last card of your pile is played, even though it often ends when I have like 6-7 cards left. Could someone explain that to me please?

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It means the communal draw pile on the right of the screen. Once the last card is taken the game ends instantly.

6. Tyska

Tyska Active Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I just gave it a try this morning! Indeed, a very polished game from the makers of Carcossonne. Although no iPad-version the game is well playable in 2X-Mode on my Retina iPad! Very well done - this game was worth waiting for it :)

In the last time there were plenty well done board game and card game translations to iOS. Here's my top five atm:

1. Carcassonne
    2. Café International
    3. Lost Cities
    4. Le Havre
    5. Scotland Yard

Two times Coding Monkeys ;)

7. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Bought it and while it's not the most complex card game out there, it is perfect for the iphone. Always nice to have a bit more variety beside Frantic Frankfurt, the unofficial Dominion app, and Super Durak. I can see why they made this for the iphone first, not the ipad. It's an easy, quick game to play on the go. Personally, I wouldn't play it that much on the ipad, but I see your point if you don't have an iphone /ipod. Let's hope it will sell well so they can make it universal and make happy all of us.

8. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    Awesome game.

While I'd love to have an iPad version, I can definitely undertsand now why they went with the iPhone version first. This game is not really complex with respect to the interface and suits the iPhone screen perfectly. It looks gorgeous on the new iPad in 2x nonetheless.

So stop whining and get this now or miss out on a great polished game. Your choice ;)

9. Sheo

Sheo Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Russia
    Hm, this game requires ios 5.1 but I have 5.0.1 How do you think this game will run on 5.0.1 or not?

10. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I started to play it online and it's very nice when you can play async with a lot of people (you have always a turn to do :D).
    The problem I have is: is there a way to disable the notifications ? It keeps beeping when I have a new turn to do which can be pretty annoying.
    In the global notification settings I can't find a "lost cities" entry like in most other games.

11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    EVERYONE who has actually tried it on the iPad has agreed with the above statement. Not one person who has actually played it on their iPad has complained about how it looks. The only people still complaining are those that have not even bothered to try it. So let's please put to bed all the complaints about this game not being universal. Thank you!

12. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    It's easy to overlook the lack of Universal, but if they pull some DoW stunt with two versions of the app I'll stay clear of further projects.

As for the game itself, I haven't really seen the appeal yet. It's effectively two player solitaire with a minor twist.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

Something this game pulls off I don't think I've ever seen so well implemented before is how the game tracks detailed stats on your match history with each individual opponent (bot or real) showing point spreads, win/loss rations, etc.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Enh, I'd bump it up a bit more to Gin Rummy, if that means anything to folk out there. There is only 1 set of 2-8 for each of the 5 colored suits so you have the ability to really mess with an opponent by holding onto cards they desperately need.

15. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Well, it's not particularly hard to implement in a 2p game with visible victory points. As for the win loss ratios, Summoner Wars goes pretty deep into faction stats for personal as well as global records, and 1v1 w/l records as well.

16. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I have to agree with LordGek that the implementation of game track in Lost Cities is superb. I have Summoner Wars and I think it doesn't go deep enough as this one, it doesn't even show up during a game with AI. Here, I can track all of my previous games, it calculates the trend, show me the chance of winning, give a nice graphics where we can put our emojis anytime during our turns, win/loss ratios, and all is shown in a nice and clean presentations.

17. Blammo72

Blammo72 New Member

May 23, 2012
    All the shit talk about no iPad Version from the trolls is so funny. Especially when reading it in the upscaled TouchArcade App on my iPad *wink wink*

Didn't the Coding Monkeys also release Carcasonne - they are good guys

18. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Not all of us are trolls. It's a fair demand from a developer whose only other product is universal (now). Their response about no solid plans for an update to universal was honest but also disappointing.

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That ability to place little emojis in play and therefore into the timeline of the game is so stupid/silly it's kind of brilliant. :p

20. webman2k

webman2k Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Wow. Can't believe this thread. What nerve some of you have to bash this developer because they didn't release an iPad native version?! They released a game for the iPhone. So, you can play it on your iPhone, or pixel double play it on your iPad.

You want an iPad version? Tell them! Don't complain that it doesn't exist.