Every get discouraged when looking at games on app store that look amazing?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Tosty, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Ive been working on a basic 2D/pixel type game for some months now. My graphics are not bad, but not amazing. The gameplay itself is also not bad (RPG/dungeon style). Im very motivated to finish the game as its my first game and don't want to leave anything undone. However, I get discouraged when I load up the appstore in itunes and see all these amazing looking games. I have to wonder how I will ever compete with any of that without spending 20-30k on my game?

Anyone else willing to share their thoughts?

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I tend to think there is space for less than perfect graphics but it usually paired with super fun gameplay.

If your graphics are "not bad" and your gameplay is "not bad" why would someone play your game?

If you shared your progress you might get better feedback.

3. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Well, it's my first game i've been developing. All im trying to say is that it seems like all the top games have budgets of 50-100k. Looks very tough to break through unless you want to spend big bucks or have a good development team.

Having said that, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so my next project can be even better.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Theres a lot of gamers out there who love retro style games, so graphics may look basic but the gameplay is superb.

If the gameplay works well on your game then a lot of these gamers will not be put off by more 'basic' graphics

I mean look at Pixa, this is a great homage to the basic looking 'Adventure' game on the Atari 2600....

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pixa/id826977016?mt=8

The gameplay is superb on this and its a great homage to the old retro game

5. DryGin Studios

DryGin Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 13, 2014
    Well, first or all, top games have budgets in terms of hundred of thousands or millions of dollars.

You need to find yourself a good niche and a good game mechanic. Also, do not underestimate the importance of marketing. It is a very difficult space but it can be done. Don't get discouraged and focus on building a cool game.

You can post/send visual is you want some feedback.

Cheers.

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    As mentioned they have higher budgets than that, but that is the reality of developing. There are areas you just can't compete without the budget so you have to be smart and look for things you can do as well as them.

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Perhaps approaching it from a different angle, for us it can be discouraging actually seeing poor quality games or high quality but simple games at the top of the charts.

We have quite an involved and expensive process to try and create the best games we can, and strive to release titles that are both creatively and commercially successfully (and for the most part we achieve that). So, it can be "frustrating" after all the time, effort, and money to see something an individual or small team put together top the charts and make a lot of money. At the very least, it can make you think "what the hell are we doing?!" and makes us look critically at our process :p

Ultimately, you just have to look at everything on the App Store as an inspiration, and seeing new and interesting things, low quality or high quality, shallow or deep, be successful is an indication that there is room and opportunity for all manner of developers and publishers on the App Store.

8. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian

First you should not be discouraged you should be motivated by good games. Everyday you get behind your computer to create your game you have a chance to make yours the best. :)

9. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    I find that with small teams and minimal budget you need to do less and you need to do it better. With no money, you can't expect to do AAA quality graphics and you can't try and create a fully deep AAA gameplay experience. As already suggested: focus on your core gameplay loop (the thing the player does over and over). I would further suggest you stay away from content driven games. I would also recommend a simple art style that is easy to maintain and keep consistent.

Fun game's don't have to be AAA games. A good game is a good game. Just remember: You need to do less and you need to do it better :)

10. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Nice comments here guys, I like it!

11. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #11 Touchmint, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Honestly that's how I look at it. I see games that arnt 100k+ budget games and know that I can do it! I see some giant games and know I can do better. Really it's about pulling inspiration and adjusting to the market.

Side note: With nongame apps Id actually scan certain parts of the store and see what was on the top and do it better and often get more sales.