Ipod touch 3.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bluenag, Jul 12, 2009.

1. bluenag

bluenag Member

Jul 12, 2009
    How risky is it to update my ipod touch to 3.0? I want to, but I have heard a lot about it screwing up people's ipods in various ways. Does anyone here think it is worth it? And if it did screw my ipod up, is it fixable?

Thanks!!

2. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I did it and I've had no problems so far

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I've had no problems either, but if you do you can always restore.

4. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    #4 Greko, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
    Because iPhone OS 3.0 is now a public release, the risk involved is minimal to none. But as with all new software, there are always bugs that need to be fixed in a future release.

As far as "screwing up people's ipods in various ways" goes, there are known bugs in the 3.0 update. One in particular causes the the incorrect app icon to show up above the name of the app. There is a workaround to prevent this from happening however, and it's as easy as turning your iPod off, turning it back on, and then resetting it after you sync your device in iTunes.

It's "worth" is measured in how many of the new features you plan to use. Because it is a paid update for iPod touch users, you'd have to ask yourself if you feel like forking out $10 for it.
    In my opinion, it's definitely worth it. The update itself adds alot of new functionality to your device that makes it easier to use and more fun as well.

If you ever have any problems or issues with your iPod when it's running any version of the iPhone OS, you can always follow Apple's "iPod touch Troubleshooting Assistant". I've provided the link for you below.

http://bit.ly/Lr4kx

5. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    What do you mean by resetting it? I had that problem and I ended up restoring my iPod :(

6. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I bet he means in setting where there is the reset springboard. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Home Screen Layout

7. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I finally did it, and so far, haven't had any problems. I really like the spotlight feature, plus it's nice when games can access they're web servers right from the app. I haven't played with any other feature, but can't wait to play some flight control multiplayer:)

8. bluenag

bluenag Member

Jul 12, 2009
    thanks for all the inputs, i just updated and so far no problems! Any common issues to look out for?

9. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    #9 Greko, Jul 13, 2009
    I quote this from one of my previous posts in another thread:

Be warned that if you're running iPhone OS 3.0 that there is an issue with app icons being messed up whenever you reset the device.
    If you don't know what version of the iPhone OS you're running, tap the Settings app on your iPhone/iPod touch, then tap "General", and then tap "About" and look at "Version".
    You can also connect your device to iTunes and in the "Summary" pane of the iPhone/iPod touch, look at the "Software Version".

If you are running iPhone OS 3.0, read the following on the reset procedure workaround for fixing the app icon bug and to refresh the system memory as well.
    If you're running iPhone OS 2.x you can also use the following procedure.
    The first 2 steps are to save the current state of the device before you reset it so that things don't get moved around. (In case anyone was wondering why you bother to turn it off before you reset it.)

1. After you sync your device in iTunes, disconnect the iPhone/iPod touch and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red "slide to power off" slider appears. Slide that to turn off the device.

2. After it's been shut off, hold the Sleep/Wake button for about 3-5 seconds to turn the device back on.

3. Once the iPhone/iPod touch has finished booting and you can see your Home screen; hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds or until the screen turns off and turns back on showing you an Apple logo.
    Once you see that Apple logo, you can release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons and let it reboot.

And for anyone who doesn't know the difference between a "restart" and a "reset" on the iPhone/iPod touch and is afraid something bad will happen to their device, read the following:

- A "restart" is when you hold the Sleep/Wake button and slide that red "slide to power off" slider to turn off the device. After it turns off and you turn it back on, that is called a "restart".

- A "reset" is when the device is completely rebooted to refresh the system memory and also used to fix a device that was frozen as well. A "reset" is initiated by holding down the Sleep/Wake + Home buttons for around 10 seconds or when the screen turns off and turns back on showing you an Apple logo.

A "reset" takes longer than a "restart" as well. Roughly around 1 minute for a "reset" compared to around 20-30 seconds for a "restart".

10. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    #10 Greko, Jul 13, 2009
    Other than the incorrect app icons, the most noticeable one I've found on my 1G iPod touch is speed. I've found that I end up resetting my device throughout the day because it occasionally gets to the point where the performance is really sluggish and just plain slow.
    Of course, most users will only have this problem if they use many apps over a period of time without refreshing the system memory.
    Another bug is Wi-Fi. Some users of both iPhones and iPod touch's have reported they have a really weak signal with the router even though it's like 1 metre away. I myself have noticed my connection randomly drop to one bar for whatever unknown reason on occasion, but it fixes itself afterwards.
    Here's a link for more information on the Wi-Fi issue: http://bit.ly/tt5r4

11. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I see.
    Aye, "resets" sometimes took several minutes.

12. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    #12 Greko, Jul 13, 2009
    In my experience on my 1G iPod touch. A reset only takes around 1 minute and 16 seconds for me on 3.0.
    The funny thing is that with 2.2.1 from a fresh restore without any content synced to the device, a reset only took 40 seconds. With content, it took around 55-60 seconds.
    I also did a reset with a clean 3.0 restore with no content synced and it took 52 seconds to finish.
    The other funky thing I found on my device is that on the last 10 seconds before the device finishes rebooting, the screen blanks out to black. That didn't happen in the 2.x firmware. o_0

But clearly, boot times get longer and longer with every new OS release. =P

13. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I've found that the screen turns black too. It scared me the first time, I thought something was wrong with my iPod. I thought it might be because I'm jailbroken, but maybe not.

14. bluenag

bluenag Member

Jul 12, 2009
    thanks for all the info, so far my only problem is with the sims 3 icon. I just purchased it, and rebooted my ipod immediately after but when it came back on the diamond is missing from the apps icon, is this normal?

15. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I don't know. I'm a little suspicious of the new OS 3.0, but I'm most likely going to upgrade when Killtest comes out.

16. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    For some reason, it makes you ipod touch overheat. some guy with an iphone 3g had his iphone 3g overheat and there was a pink ring around the back if the phone.

Also, the Wi-Fi for some reason is horrible. When im upstairs, the signal is horrible, even though before, it was good.

17. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    same here. whenever i reset it

18. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    #18 Greko, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
    You may not have followed the reset procedure correctly. I suggest you delete the app from your iPod and resync it. Then after you resync it and disconnect the iPod from iTunes, turn off the iPod, turn it back on, THEN reset it. I've done this every time I sync in iTunes regardless of whether I install new apps or not and I haven't had a problem yet.

19. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    That "pink ring" you refer to has only been apparent on the white iPhone 3GS. Here is a link to clarify it: http://bit.ly/M0OKx

It's unlikely that an iPod touch would experience that kind of issue because of the clock speed the processors are set at.

20. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    I haven't jailbroken my current iPod touch yet so it's definitely an OS change.