Anyone have info on Myst?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ponyboy, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponyboy

ponyboy Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Okay I’m new so I apologize if this question has already been exhausted. Does anyone know what’s going on with the supposed Myst port and if it’s actual Myst or more like RealMyst? I checked the forums at Cyan but I really can’t find any definitive answers. I think RealMyst would be cool but maybe it would require too much space. Although I think someone ported the series to Pocket PC in like a 100Mb or so each.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Welcome to TA, I havent heard anything yet but I played Mist before and its pretty cool

3. iPheonix

iPheonix Member

Jan 24, 2009
    myst + ipod = awesome

myst for ipod? really? that would be so cool!

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    One question though, has anyone ever beat it without any help whatsoever? I don't think it's possible, I was stuck on that stupid game for almost a year until I broke down and bought the guide...:(

5. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I ran into the developers at Casual Connect in Seattle last year. I don't know why it isn't out yet.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

What? Myst is easy; I think most people beat it without help. Riven, on the other hand, is quite hard, but I still beat it without any help...barely. :D (Myst III is also easy, Myst IV is pretty hard, Myst V is just annoying. I stopped playing it, but not because I got stuck.)

--Eric

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I'm sorry I hate that everyone tells me "Man you couldn't beat Myst?" "Dude that game is easy". You mean to tell me you beat it 100% without asking anyone "how do you..?" Or looking in a guide? Honestly? If so then I commend you, then again, I was only 12 or 13 when it came out, I haven't tried since. But from what I remember I hated that game...

8. eriathien

eriathien Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    California
    Don't worry...I was the same way. :eek:

But I want this game to be released soooo bad. I try to forget it's there so I don't feel sad that it's not out yet...haha.

9. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #9 Donburns99, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    I remember playing this when I was 7 (1993/1994?). I never figured out the code you needed to input inside the fireplace in the library. I remember there being a metal wall in the fireplace where you had to press a bunch of squares.

I always wanted to find out what was up with those two guys in the red/blue books in the library. I remember one (both?) of them trapping the player inside once read.

I should revisit this game now that I'm 3x as old as when I last played. :p

10. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i remember on the first one, the ending was right there in front of you right at the beginning, but you had to go all over the place solving puzzles to find out the code to figure the above statement out

good game

i did hear it was rumored to be ported, but haven't heard anything since

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Yes, honestly. :) If I can't get though a game 100% on my own, I don't get through it at all. I used to look in guides, but I ended up feeling so cheated, that now I would rather not finish a game than resort to walkthroughs. There was one puzzle I didn't quite understand the first time through, but got through it anyway using some trial and error. But when I played it again (RealMyst), I understood it and said "duh, can't believe I resorted to trial and error the first time."

Maybe 12 or 13 is kinda young for Myst...but it is pretty easy, sorry....

--Eric

12. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Of course you hate it...it's condescending. No need to apologize for the rudeness of others.
    I would guess that many -- if not most -- of the people who played MYST used a guide to decipher some of the more obscure puzzles. That's why so many guides and walkthroughs were published for that game. In fact, MYST might have even started the whole Prima Guide craze!

13. ponyboy

Feb 10, 2009
    #13 ponyboy, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    Myst for the iPhone/iPod Update

For any Myst fans (like me) interested, according to Derek Odell (see Derek's attached image), Gameplay Programmer at Cyan Worlds, Inc., iMyst is coming along:

"The ability to play sounds is working, and a few of the cards around the dock area have their ambient bird sounds and waves lapping against the dock in there. Transitioning between cards is also in, and includes 98% of all the cards in the game (a few are named with illegal characters that we need to hunt down). Age linking is working, as is showing correction images, like switches and doors and such. Basic logic for variable states (again, like doors and switches) is in there. Movies work on the mac simulator, but there appears to be a codec problem on the iphone itself which is weird since they're supposed to be identical.

All in all... things progressing nicely."

Here's input from Chogon, another Cyan employee:

"...the Spaceship on Myst Island slider sound puzzle will be a problem as it is... so we will have to do something to make that easy to use on the iPhone... Now before everyone starts pointing out every puzzle in the game ( "yeah but what about the speaking like the tree dweller monkey-like people of Channelwood puzzle, how are you going to do that?")... we will work hard at making all the puzzles work and work well in the iPhone form... in other words, we are not afraid to make some (hopefully small) changes."

Attached Files:

14. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    [Offtopic]You're only 22?!?! I thought you were in your 40s! (because you sound so wise ;)). You're almost a decade younger than me![/Offtopic]

15. popthatcorn

popthatcorn Member

Nov 25, 2008
    So here's the issue with Myst.

I'm sure you've played the original, do you remember how the cursor worked? There'd be these tiny little areas on the screen that you could interact with, but the cursor would change icons.

Now how would that work on a touch screen, exactly?

Let's not ignore the shit that was Myst DS. God help us if Cyan can't properly get it to work on the DS, let alone the iPhone.

16. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Yea, turn 23 on the 23rd of September. ^ ^

17. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    cool

18. ponyboy

Feb 10, 2009
    Good question. I searched the Myst Online forums and Chogon from Cyan posted that they are increasing the size of hotspots and that we'll have to use our fingers to navigate, etc. The cursor icons are supposed to change as you drag your finger across the touch screen. Apparently when you lift your finger up off of a hotspot it acts like a mouse-click in the original game. I also read that Cyan acknowledges the issues in previous ports such as in the Nintendo-DS version, and will not make the same mistakes with iMyst.

I guess we’ll have to wait to find out when it’s released.

19. ponyboy

Feb 10, 2009
    For anyone interested, this was posted on the Myst Online Forums today by Chogon--a Cyan employee:

"Myst was submitted to Apple on last Friday night (late)(4/17/2009) for approval. Now we wait."

20. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    wow! nice find! can't wait for it . . .