Games to play with the wifey?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kiranb28, Jun 24, 2010.

1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Now that I have your attention... :rolleyes:

I'm looking for games which two people CAN play together on the same device, even if the game may not necessarily have a two-player mode. Some examples of what we enjoy as of now:

1. Doodle Find - a pleasure for both of us to frantically search for the next item, trying to top our high score from the previous round

2. Elementz - fun Bejewled-type game where we take turns moving pieces and racing against the clock

3. Ultimate Hangman - one of our favorites; we even pair up and challenge friends on the craziest (naughtiest) words we can come up with ;)

4. Tic Tac Toe / Checkers / Chess - tried and tested, not big on these

Any other suggestions would be gladly welcome... thank you!

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    Well - it is not really a game, but I would highly recommend iKamasutra... :)

In every other case, try:

- Carcassonne!
    The best board game you'll find all over the AppStore, highly addictive and with a great depth. You can even play with additional AI characters. You will find yourself playing round after round the whole evening into the night, forgetting to go to sleep. At least that happened to me... ;)

- Air Hockey (one of these)
    if you are ready for fast paced action. It is player versus player on the same screen.

- Sword & Poker (1+2)
    Play 1-on-1 poker card games, very good for a quick game. Each player has his own area on the screen.

- Dungeons & Dice
    Another board game, fantasy style, for longer matches. Everyone picks his character and fights through a board styled fantasy world.

- Textropolis
    A nice word game you can play and try to solve together.

- other games:
    You can also try 4-in-a-row, Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit. All are available for the iPhone/iPod.

3. Alyindar

Alyindar Well-Known Member

I second Carcassone, even in the board gaming world its considered one of the ideal games to play with non-gamers. Scrabble is also a good choice - the iPhone port is suprisingly well done. If you enjoy games like this, you could also try Hive or Hanto, it offers a little more challenge than the standard fare, although there are relatively few rules so it's easy to learn.

One game my wife and I like to play together is Text Twist, although it's not so much a pass-and-play type of game, we bounce words off each other while we take turns entering them. I'm not 100% fond of the iPhone implementation of "Text Twist 2", but its passable, and there are plenty of clones as well if you don't like the way it handles.

4. nkflier23

nkflier23 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Tap Tap Revenge
    Doodle Jump

5. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Yes, well um... the internet version of that is more fun to use ;o

I have heard a lot of good things about the game, but most of those comments were from people who used to play the traditional board-game instead of from new players. Being someone who never heard of this game till now and would have to learn all the rules (and potentially teach my wife the same), is it still worth getting?

Forgot to mention this, yep - we play Air Hockey too (but not as often as the others, it got boring)

Doubt she would like these - good suggestions nevertheless, thanks!

Thanks for the tips - she's not big on word games though :)

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    About Carcassonne:

this game is more than easy to learn but hard to master.
    It has a fantastic tutorial with full voice over, she'll learn that in a few minutes. The big fun starts when you are developing your own strategies.
    Moreover, Carcassonne is a must have for every iDevice gamer. In the German AppStore, it has nearly 1500 5-star-ratings now and the overall rating is 5 star, too.
    You can make nothing wrong with this game - if you don't hate board games utterly.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    P.S.: maybe you should try Blokus - if it has a pass'n'play mode.

Or you can try Angry Birds - it's hilarious funny and you can try to beat each others level scores. :)

8. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Ahh, another one I skipped out on. We've played through Angry Birds already, stopped playing a while ago!

Blokus doesn't look too appealing, not sure... for 4.99, it's not helping my decision :)

The price tag is just about the only thing stopping me from diving in right now. I've spent 15 dollars between yesterday and today, that too, all on 0.99c games. Bah! Should i wait for a price drop?

9. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    the thread title just screams for the proper answer... :(

10. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Took the 4.99 plunge for Carcassonne. Figured better now than when it jumps to 9.99 when the Universal update comes out.

Looking forward to delving into it as a first-time player tomorrow :)

11. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    rofl

12. runformoney1110

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    would you prefer games that you can play with your wife at the same time or a pass n play thing? How about scrabble or a turn-based game?

13. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    www.annsummers.com

14. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    carcassone was a good buy maybe try newtons 3d dice if you like dice games has pass n play for 5 people and two different games

15. runformoney1110

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
  16. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    And all this time, i've been wasting money on the AppStore?!

17. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    Indeed :)

I would go there but I've been assigned the doghouse at the moment. Thats when I pop off to the appstore!

I have plenty of respect. When you settle down with a lady you *need* a sense of humour!

18. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Hehe kudos to that.

Runformoney> thanks for getting my back, but it's gonna take more than his comment to set me off. That's what marriage teaches you, to be patient, and to take things lightly ;)

19. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Um...
    plants vs zombies
    iAssociate 2
    tap Tap revenge 3(not sure about 1 &2)
    earth vs moon
    checkers
    chess
    the game of life
    battleship
    diner dash
    the creeps.

20. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    So umm... I <3 Carcassonne :D :eek:

Right now, I just focus on the building and 'blocking moves for the CPU' aspect of the game, instead of the actual number of points i'm going to be getting for each move I make.

In other words - I try to make the biggest castles, the longest roads, the most monasteries, and some fields (haven't really put my meeples on fields much).

Liking the game a lot, finding myself wanting to play more and more! The CPU is kicking my ass so far (on the second-easiest difficulty level), but oh well :)