Modern Combat 4

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by elisha11230, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    That's kinda different to your last post

2. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #102 Rip73, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    Tokyo show is a massive showcase. I understand that. I have just seem no recognisable source to this as yet. And I don't speak Japanese.
    I can't understand why not other site or outlet has picked up on it other than the two Japanese language ones.

On seeing the higher quality shots, there is strong indicators of Gameloft type of artwork visible more clearly and no Battlefield type of artwork.
    So I might have to reassess my previous stance.
    I still do have a big question mark over the vehicles but the other soldier in the last picture has a definite Modern Combat look to the character.
    And the scenes do look more like high end mobile than console on the higher quality shots. The images in the low res shots looked like they could just be very generic but the clearer shots do seem to paint a clearer picture (pun intended).
    If this is the actual announcement, it still surprises me in relation to timing and that nothing has come out of Gameloft directly (by directly I mean European headquarters or Montreal studio). It breaks all of Gamelofts previous announcement and lead in marketing procedures.

But then again, it does look like Gameloft artwork and assets. Have to wait and see I suppose.
    My first sight of them came to the wrong conclusion by the looks of it.

3. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the reason is because it only happened yesterday and it was a very small feature, 4 screenshots and a statement, and it hasnt been officially announced by gameloft.

If i remember correctly they did the same thing with mc3, released screenshots to some annonymous website.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #104 JBRUU, Sep 22, 2012
    I stand corrected.

Though to be fair I meant overall quality, I really see this being marginally better in all departments except lighting, which is excellent for an iOS title. That's what I meant to say, or that's what I'm saying to answer your rather embarrassing point.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The NPC soldier does have a very MC look to him.

If these are legit screens then I'm willing to bet that this is GL's in house engine. That doesn't look anything like any UE3 I've seen for iOS.

6. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #106 Rip73, Sep 22, 2012
    Ah, I knew some day I would eventually catch ya.
    I'm shadow high fiving right now. (Insert appropriate smiley face)

In seriousness though, the low res pics caught me out as well. So I have to duck and hide from that one as well.
    It is still not what I was expecting just yet. I hadn't expected any screenshots till mid October. (That's not to say I've seen any others now)
    Those vehicles, helicopters in particular, still have me confused though.
    Definitely doesn't look like Unreal Engine but after seeing some March of Heroes stuff, there is environment similarities.

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #107 Rip73, Sep 22, 2012
    Well, thanks for posting them.
    Plus it looks like they are gathering momentum and legitimacy.
    Some reliable sources are reverting to not at liberty to say just yet.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #108 JBRUU, Sep 22, 2012
    Surprised I haven't been corned with something like that sooner. And you hadn't expected screenshots until October? I take it that source of yours has been really earning his Christmas and New Years cards, huh?

I'm hopeful that those are real. So out of my hope I will proclaim, whether it is logical or not, that those screens are legit. In a sudden and probably one-time burst of clear headedness in regard to these pics, I ask the following:

-if these were shared at a big huge Japanese event, why the resolution?
    -Gameloft hasn't kept the same hand for any of the mc games. Why start now?
    -the development time seems to have been suspiciously short for such a pretty game
    -why the futuristic flying vehicles? (Though zero hour does seem like a title GL would use)
    -I can't see any a4 devices running this. Are you really ready to yank support?
    -weird timing for the announcement (or was it a leak? I know some DH3 pics were leaked prior to release...)

And I've exhausted my criticisms. The art assets look somewhat Gameloftish, but particularly the NPC soldier and those stairs textures. Also the rocks in the second picture. I don't know what to make of the helicopters, though.

9. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #109 Rip73, Sep 22, 2012
    The first set of shots were pictures taken of a large screen so that's why res was so bad.
    The futuristic vehicles I don't quite get myself.
    The same hand and arm would possibly be used in a pre alpha test phase and the art polished or changed later.
    Development time has been long for the game. I suspect it hasn't always been MC4 though.
    It took year and a half for NOVA 3 to be developed and it would only make sense that MC4 would have started very close behind it. Factor in March of Heroes and other unreleased stuff and it creates a clearer picture.
    As for a4, it'll be lots of fog or unsupported.
    And I think this was more of leak than a planned announcement. It looks like it might have been a trade or industry only presentation.
    I mean we know of lots of games coming up that people would have seen stills or had quick game play of but would be limited by an embargo. This almost certainly breaks any MC4 embargo.

10. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This event wasnt the highlight of the tokyo game show, it was a small venue called ilove iphone, my belief is that gameloft is trying to increase their fanbase in japan and this was the only place to do it.

They probably used alot of the same assets as mc3, thus increasing the development time.

From what i can tell from the pictures, they all seem to be on some island, i dont understand the futuristic helis and then the outdated gun, maybe the game has some sort of flashback story or something

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It's possible they are going for a Black Ops 2 "inspiration".

12. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I don't understand the surprise over these graphics. IOS gaming has entered a new phaze with games like horn, wild blood, lili, dead trigger and even Nova3 and i would expect nothing less than amazing graphics from gameloft's most profitable franchise that has the highest budget of any gameloft game .
    New games are targeting Ipad2/Iphone4s as their base hardware so of course we see a huge upgrade over games that were playable on older devices .
    This and real racing 3 will be the stars of the christmas period .

13. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    I agree, i don't think these graphics are impossible on a mobile device. Gameloft will pour loads of money and effort into making this their best game ever, look at wild blood, the graphics are very good, and that was probably not gamelofts number one priority, imagine what they can do now when a game like this happens.

14. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    Haha dude, graphic for wild blood isn't that good at all... And since animation in that game is pretty much 6 different moved keep repeating

15. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    Well I am pretty sure this game will lag like bitch on my 4S, since nova 3 isn't smooth as mc3 on 4S..
    Well, but I don't wanna get iPhone 5... Waiting for iPhone 6!

16. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    And I really think Gameloft should get new art designer for trees and and leafs and etc... They dont improve at all

17. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Alright, but the graphics aren't exactly bad, even on my iPad one, they are very good, my point is that wild blood wouldn't have had a very big budget compared to what mc4 will have

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    These graphics are legit until you find another FPS with these screenshots.

Amazing all I can say.

19. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #119 Rip73, Sep 22, 2012
    The surprise at the graphics was based on the first set of screen shots which had a very low res and looked liked there was a lot more going on.
    The second posting of the higher quality captures showed clearly that it is high end mobile graphics.
    After seeing higher res, it is basically at a visual level I would expect MC4 to be at.
    Whether Wild Blood or MC4 has higher investment of time and development is debatable. As their first UE release, you can pretty much be sure a lot of time was put into just getting to know the engine and you can be very sure they spent enough to want it to be a showcase game.

And NOVA has always been their showcase fps in previous iterations. Nova 1,2 and 3 are all visually ahead of their MC counterparts
    I still prefer the MC series but in the past MC games would get launched before NOVA and NOVA would showcase their graphics and engine improvements.
    So basically this will have the visual effects developed for NOVA 3 and whatever improvements they've done to the engine in the meantime.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    We still don't know if those screens are legit, so don't hold your breath people.

And yes for the record I am holding my breath.