Best portrait, one-handed, non-tilt based game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ikemike, Jan 25, 2010.

1. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    What's the best portrait style, single-handed, non-tilt based game? I know about Orbital and Minimae.

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
  3. Themagictouch

Themagictouch Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    what are you going to be doing with the other hand...... :rolleyes:

4. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

5. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    portrait? what is a portrait game?

6. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    The Quest, although two hands is ideal, it is turn-based, so it still works.

7. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    portrait = hold iphone/ipod upright

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Word games like Scramble, Textropolis, Fishtropolis, Wordsworth, Bookworm, Lexic;

Bunch of Puzzle Games;

Dragon Sword - not sure if you can do that one handed though; Elven Chronicles the same;

All I can think of off the top of my head!

9. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Thanks for explaining!

10. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    #10 starmonkey101, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
    orbital

EDIT: MY 1000TH POST!!!!!

11. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Canabalt, the perfect game to fit your needs.

12. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Cricket Game
    Cricket T20 Fever
    Canabalt

13. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    uniwar.
    geoDefense.

14. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Space Invaders

15. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    I've tried all of these listed as of now, and none of them have been very good (except Canabalt, but that's not portrait). Any more, guys?

16. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Ion Charge.

Lite : http://appshopper.com/games/ion-charge-lite
    Full : http://appshopper.com/games/ion-charge
    ======================
    Big Albie
    --------
    Ion Charge - frustration and punishment lead to addictive gameplay
    Have you ever played a game that was so painfully frustrating yet still addictive enough that you would go back for more punishment? That’s exactly what you have with Ion Charge, a unique game that involves polarities, angles, and most importantly, patience. Just as magnets are attracted to each other, you may find yourself strangely fascinated by this well-designed game.

The game is about understanding and using the laws of physics as you control an ion and its magnetic forces in order to move around various obstacles to collect chips. Once all the chips in that level are collected, the exit opens, and thus you can proceed to the next torture chamber, I mean level. Presented in a progressive game mode, Ion Charge consists of 20 levels which may not sound like many, but once you get into the gameplay, those levels will take a while to master. Nonetheless, more levels would be welcome.

The game levels look great in a 3D industrial view and can only be played in portrait mode. What would be helpful is the addition of zoom and pan functionality because in its current format, it’s hard to tell where everything is located when starting a new level. Each of the levels has unique obstacles which really aren’t obstacles per se, but more like maneuvering challenges such as automatically closing walls, narrow corridors, oppositely charged towers right next each other which can impact the level of attraction.

The controls look rather simple: a slider where you can adjust the polarity from negative to positive charge is located at the bottom of the screen. Within each level, a number of towers appear each with either a positive or negative charge. Based on how the polarity is adjusted via the slider controls, this will change the charge of the ion that will move it towards or away from towers. The game controls and figuring out polarity takes some getting used to and honestly, I was sarcastically shaking my head when I read the app description about playing this game with one hand. Don’t get me wrong…the game can be played that way, but you better be a grand master of Ion Charge before attempting that.

To further add challenge to the game, each level has a par time and by beating or matching the par time, additional bonus points are awarded. I can tell you that most will be happy just being able to complete the level and getting out of dodge. But, this adds to the replay value since you can never the same level the same way twice.

In the game screen, the timer is located in the upper left corner with the chip counter on the opposite side. Something I feel is missing is the par time which I think should be located underneath the timer so I have an idea of where I stand. As of right now, you only see it after completing the level. Of course, if you don’t want the pressure from a timed game, simply ignore the timer, and the game will be just as entertaining.

The physics in Ion Charge are pretty solid, and most of time, it’s about using angles and ricochets in addition to slight tweaks to the polarity to get where you want to go. Literally, I’ve been right next to the exit, and because I tweak a little too much, I’ll wide up far away which costs me time. That’s not the fault of the game. Ion Charge is well designed and well presented. The graphics run on the Unity engine run smoothly with no lag on my iPod Touch 2g, and the sound effects and voiceovers offer just the right touch.

Overall, I’m surprised by how much I enjoy Ion Charge, and while I don’t come close to the par time in most cases, the game offers something very different from the usual iTunes games fare. Be warned: this is not a game for people are not well-versed in patience. Even while I was completely PO’d, I kept playing, and if you’re willing to take a chance, Ion Charge provides an addictive experience for those not afraid of a little extra challenge along the way.

Albie Meter: 4 Stars (terrific mechanics along with smooth industrial-looking graphics; offers addictive gameplay)

17. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    #17 Scottlarsen, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
    Elven Chronicles. May require two hands though.

No, only need one.

18. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Space Invaders Infinity Gene
    Virus Laboratory
    Up There (uses tilt)
    Noiz2sa
    Rrootage
    Expando
    Snail Mail (Can be played portrait, touch control option)
    Doodle Jump (uses tilt)
    Stacked

19. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Mazefinger ain't half bad. Just sent this from my iPod

20. David7

David7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    South Dakota
    Dig it games.
    Nuo nuo.

That's all I can think of that people haven't already said.