When to contact press?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TheFootballPlaybook, Apr 17, 2013.

1. TheFootballPlaybook

TheFootballPlaybook Active Member

Hi,

When should you contact the press for the release of your app?

Release the app on the app store then start to email people with the link?

Email press before you release on the app store and give them a build through say TestFlight?

Or is there a way to give press a link to your app after it has been approved but before you make it go "live"?

Ideally i would like the press contacts to already have played a version and then write a review during the week of release.

I guess it should be after release so that people read the review then follow the link to the app store?

2. zooom18

zooom18 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #2 zooom18, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    deleted

3. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

You should send out multiple emails, imo. One well before the game is released (have some promo art, maybe some early screens as long as they look good). This is like an announcement email, and again, should be sent out as soon as the game is in good enough shape to show off something. Regardless of whether you get a preview, its still good to get your foot in the door and "plant the seed" for your game.

As for emailing for reviews...

One little tip is to set your release date a good bit in the future, so that its approved and ready to go but not released on the App Store yet... this way you will have promo codes, and you can send them out to reviewers BEFORE the game is even out. Tell them your release date, give them a promo, and ask for a review. Do this maybe a week before launch (I have no hard data on this, but you want to give them enough time to play the game before launch, but not so much time that they forget about the game).

Another reason you may want to set a specific release date is so you can do your best to drive as much interest as you can to that one specific launch day... from reviews, to fans and potential buyers - you want to make as big a splash as you can on day 1. You can't do that if you can't tell people up front when your game is coming out...

Anyway, after the game is out, I'd send another email the day of, announcing that it has hit the app store, with another offer to give out any promos if anyone is interested.

I know it may seem like a lot, but you can't be shy about trying to get your name out there. Reviewers have to sift through a lot of stuff every day, so one extra email might be just enough for them to remember your game. At the very least you don't want to end up saying "Crap... I wish I did more" because once your game is released, its released and its already too late.

4. Apptopia

Apptopia Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    One common mistake developers make is to rush their app onto the market. Sometimes the best move is to wait to release your app until you have the PR in place. Also, just a thought, we think that it makes sense to improve your app's web presence. The app stores alone can limit the amount and quality of promotional material you want to include: http://blog.apptopia.com/5-reasons-your-app-needs-an-online-presence/

5. TheFootballPlaybook

Thanks all, i am going with @Foursaken_Media idea of contacting people multiple times.

6. TheFootballPlaybook

It was a very nice feeling!!! :)
    Have been buying the Sun every day this week since the guy said he would put it in.

You know, even if it does nothing for the game, making something some likes is reward enough!

7. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Very cool! Placements like that feel very good, regardless if you see a bunch of app downloads :)