The Making of More Zombies?!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PocketMonkey, Jan 14, 2010.

1. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    #1 PocketMonkey, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    Hello all,

The Pocket Monkey team is at work on an upcoming iPhone game (duh...) :)

and we have decided to pull you along for the ride to see what it takes.

The first step is to hammer out details in a game design document. (Can't show that yet since we can't give out our position just yet...)

The Gameplay: Despite how simple a game appears from the outside, they do take a long time to program and develop. So for this project to show off how we are making the game, we decided to go with something somewhat simple but still entertaining, so we are turning this one into a "Highscore Survival Shooter", similar to iDracula or Minigore.

After that, we begin work on design concepts, such as characters, levels, and additional assets (weapons, interactive objectives, etc.)

First we had to decide on our hero, Bob. Bob is simply an office worker stuck in an 5 x 5 cubicle, but is destined for so much more. We ran through a few different sketches, but these 2 were the best. We are going with the second sketch as the first one looks more like a detective, not an office worker. These small details are very important for the story of the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See BOB Run:

[​IMG]

Background: Oh, so delicious! I decided to make the background scalable vertically and hortizontally (Think Castle Crashers.) It really gives the game more depth and extra servings of awesome.

[​IMG]

Some Weapons: Almost any good game these days needs to be action packed with guns, so here are some of those bad boys.

[​IMG]

Join us as we continue to bring you the more...interesting... side of video game development. Rejoice as you don't need to see the piles of code and slashies and dots that really make the game. ;)

2. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    nice. I wanna see what comes next!

3. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    Now you can! You can see the colored concept of our unlikey hero, Bob. It was JUST posted in the original post.

4. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    Long time, no post for us here in this thread as we show you how we are making our newest iPhone game!

Is the image below, you can see our hero, Bob, running and firing his trusty sidearm.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned as we reveal a little bit more over this weekend.

(P.S.: The first person to correctly guess what kind of game this will be earns an early copy of it!)

5. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Looks like a platformer/action game to me, based on the running and gunning sprite. Looks neat.

6. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    Not a platformer, but it does have a bit of "A Quest of Knights Onrush" going on for it. Later today, I'll show you our background layout.

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

looks fun!

8. Coops58

Coops58 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I said don't look here!
    Something like a 2D sidescroller, similar to zombieville... at least thats what the sprite is telling me :p

9. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    Here is one screenshot with the background. It is important for iPhone developers to create an atmosphere that is appropriate to the game but is also inviting to the players. Screenshots are very important for generating sales, so it is something that must be carefully produced.

[​IMG]

10. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    Good guess, but we've strayed away from the 1 dimensional moving path like in Zombieville and Sparta. We think you'll love it!

11. BimBamm

BimBamm Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    US AND A
    the draft looks better

12. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    You mean for the character?

We felt that he looks too much like a cop/detective, where Bob is a simple office worker caught up in a problem above his pay grade. :)

13. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    So is the character named Bob?

14. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009

At least that is what everyone is lead to believe... ;)

Perhaps "Bob" is more than meets the eye.

15. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Is it like one o those awesome arcde style beat em ups where the sprites are 2d but there's actually depth in the background? And maybe the gun I just one of the many possible weapons you can find!

16. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    I can happily tell you that you are not for off at all! There is a good selection of weapons that you can collect and choose from. :)

17. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    Anyone care to guess the enemies that Bob will be facing? Hint: They've been in other iPhone games at least once or twice...

18. Bag of Awesome

Bag of Awesome Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Austin, TX
  19. PocketMonkey

Mar 29, 2009
    More Zombies?! :eek:

20. Bag of Awesome

Bag of Awesome Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Austin, TX