Agon? OpenFeint?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by racingspider, Jul 19, 2010.

1. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

Hey all. I'm an indie developer and am wanting to put some leaderboards on my game. I was wondering what the community here thinks of some of the 3rd party leaderboard tools out there.

I haven't had much experience with either of those listed, and I'd like some feedback on what you guys think. For instance, if either of them do something weird to the gameplay, etc.

Thanks a lot!

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You've named the two best IMHO.

Between these two I prefer OpenFeint.

If you search around, there have been several threads on the topic on these forums...

3. racingspider

Yeah

Good point. Hmmn. That might be the best idea. I probably should have included Game Center in my first post! :D

4. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Yeah btw, AGON doesn't have enough features, and OpenFeint is like a sinking boat, full to the brim with worthless crap..

5. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    @racingspider I'm a bit biased, but I would pick OpenFeint. OF is available now, has 30 million players, tons of advanced features, is going to be cross platform (android) very soon, and great community features like developer announcements and forums. And we're going to make it easy to mix and match game center features with OpenFeint so you can get the best of both worlds.

@RttaM I'd genuinely like to hear more about what you think OpenFeint is doing wrong. Shoot me a PM or an e-mail! jason at aurorafeint dot com. I'm always up for some constructive criticism... or just criticism ;-)

Anyway, if anyone has any further questions I'll follow the thread or feel free to reach out to me directly jason at aurorafeint dot com!

woot!

6. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    OpenFeint FTW. Agon just seems very basic and is not as cool and modern as OpenFeint. Now, I'm a very classy teenager and whatnot, so I like to keep my things organzied and looking modern. I have always preferred Plus+ for the design and simplicity but over a few months I have started to gain an affection for OpenFeint more so than Plus+. This is mainly because of the fact that it has a ton more features that are very fun and cool to use.

@Jasoncitron: any chance you could let us customize the interface color of OpenFeint, green is my most disliked color, yuck:)

7. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    Hah... well. Havn't gotten that request before! It would be a ton of work but... it's a fun request. Let me chew on it :)

(thanks for the +1!)

8. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Anytime. My friends recommended a themes update for the background of OpenFeint but I told them that might be to hard, so I just said colors.

9. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Game Center is the best option, as by the very nature of it it will become the major player, however as for now I would say Plus+. AGON is fine, except it is really slow and clunky to use - different areas take a long time to load. OpenFeint has a very good feature set, however its interface doesn't feel at home on the iPhone, popups during games can be annoying, and it feels quite slow and takes a lot of taps to get from A-B. Plus+ is smooth, fast, easy to navigate, and has a clean interface.

10. racingspider

Excellent all. Thanks for all of the thoughts on these different products.

11. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    OpenFeint, Switching to GameCenter when its available. It will be an easy switch.

12. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    OpenFeint > AGON.

13. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I like the layout of Agon, but Openfeint is more popular.