Old School soccer game with no name - Yet

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Skiproach Studio, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Skiproach Studio

Skiproach Studio Well-Known Member

#1 Skiproach Studio, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Hi TA forum,

Soon the world cup will be all over us and last week a handful of really good soccer/football games got released. We felt so inspired that we couldn't resist making our own little soccer game.

We are a team of two guys from that time where Sensible soccer and Kick Off ruled… they still do;) but we think it could be fun too make a little penalty shoot out game with the look and feel from that time.

Pixel graphic with little animations, simple controls, great atmosphere, all to get the nice feeling of a 90's game.

To be honest we haven't got any big plans with this, we just make it and come up with ideas while we sit with it. We just want to capture the mood from that time.

What we do know is that the game will be a high score game with GC leader boards and GC Achievements. Anything else is pretty much open :) (Though we do have some ideas how we could make it a fun game)

So.. If you guys are feeling you have a great idea we could put into the game we will gladly listen.

Also the name of the game, there is no:) So if you have an idea for a name please shoot us a private message, or type it here.

Heres some footage of the current stage the game is in:

Thanks,
    Henrik and Christian
    www.skiproachstudio.com

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Oh looks really nice! Reminds me of sensible soccer, I would definitely love it if it has more than PK, free kicks with wall (4 to 5 players) would be really great and more fun. Choosing your national team with maybe one or two famous players (can't use real names but you can use nicknames), maybe a few legend games would be nice too (like the brazil vs Italy PK final during the World Cup 1994, Roberto Baggio missing the last one)

3. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    As for a name: Vintage FC, Retro FC, Penalty Club, Kick it in, Goal Scorer, Goal United, 4-4-2, Score it, back of the net

4. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I would love to see something like in Flick Kick Legends, where you use the same mechanic to get up the field before shooting.

My dream tiny game like this has the above sentence, plus national teams (player names are unnecessary for a pixel game IMO), plus a tournament bracket system. Maybe a round of 16 with each game being at a successively harder skill level.

As far as a name, I guess that depends on where you can go with it. I can't think of anything clever. Is is a tap or swipe system? That could be a major point in the title.

5. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    By the way, would be really great to be able to control the goalkeeper too, like trying to stop free kicks and PK. And here are a few other names: golden boot, ballon d'or, Sunday Champions

By the way, I don't know if you are willing to make it like real football or not, but you could add a few things like obstacles (for free kicks) like a cow or a goat, or having to hit something in the goal, and why not adding a super kick like captain Tsubasa, or you could add the shaolin soccer team (yes that crazy movie)

6. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    My dream would be a shaolin soccer or captain Tsubasa pixel art game that would play like kick off or sensible soccer

7. Doom_1990

Doom_1990 New Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Name idea

You might call it Retroball. Why not? Sounds good for me.

By the way, I liked the game. It's simple and reminds me of my sweet childhood.

8. Skiproach Studio

It will be tap too shoot. Kick Off style. In the end of the movie, you can see the arrow going from side to side :)

I like the style of all the japanese manga thing, it's so crazy and makes such great dynamic - I am trying to incorporate some of that style but still keeping it old school.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It will be only penalty kick for this time. Obstacles or things to shoot at for extra points is a good idea, thats some of the things we have had in our mind. It will make it more competitive for a highscore game, instead of just scoring goals.

9. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Any chance to see it out this month? Please tell us more about it

10. Skiproach Studio

I don't think we will be able to get it out this month. We did start on it because we got exited about the world cup start. And we did have the world cup in mind at first - and that it should have been some sort of world cup penalty shoot out. But we have now decided to make it a bit different.

The game will be a "quick play" type of game, when you have 5 min. here and there you can have a shootout.

It will feature 3 game modes, both with keeper on goal and whitout and instead we have targets to shoot at. We have game modes on time and without time.

You will only be the shooter, no keeper action.

GC achievemnts and leaderboards will be included.

..and some extra things I wont mention atm. :)