iPad iMAME (iOS iMAME4ALL in App Store) by Jim VanDeventer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AnarKitty, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Outside of the "Golden Age" stuff, I'm partial to Top Hunter, a quirky multiworld platformer. Pac-Land is also good to see where SMB would go.

2. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Is Garou Mark of the Wolves supported?

Keep the recommendations coming guys. Especially newer games, from 90s onward. :)

Moonwalker didn't work here by the way.

3. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Uh oh, I think I f* up.

I brought a emulation menu by accident while playing a game and fumbled in a few options. Turns out now no game recognizes the up direction on my dpad. Not one of them.

And now I can't bring the options menu back. Any help?

4. freezesicle

freezesicle Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    just delete Documents->cfg->default.cfg

it will be recreated with default settings when u close and restart imame.

5. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Thanks!

6. RotaryP7

RotaryP7 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Moonwalker works perfect. You are not using the correct rom. And a hint, the bootleg version works flawlessly.

7. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    #507 jwm2, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    No its not illegal, i have the right to download or dump the roms on my pcbs for archival purposes in the event one of them goes corrupt. I also have the right to use that dump in any device just so long as i don't resell and retain the backup copy. I am also allowed to use that dump on any device as long as I am only using one copy at a time and not using another backup copy simultaniously. The same laws that govern dvds also govern the data on the pcbs i own.

You are legally able to make a copy of your dvd, download a copy if you do not have the means to make a copy yourself, burn it to a disc and use it in place of the original copy. The law protects these rights and sets strict guidelines on usage and backing up materials you own the right to use.

Downloading is not illegal, distributing it is. If it is being distributed in a country that does not adhere to the same laws we do, that is not my problem. All i am liable for is the laws and useage in the country i reside in and in the USA i have these rights.

If you don't believe me check the ESA website, they are the group that enforces software copyrights in the united states. It explictly states the fact mentioned above. They are the group that will go after you and work in coordination with the authorities to enforce these laws.

8. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I'm still looking for a copy of gigawing that works. I'm also looking for the sound samples for batsugun. Happy holidays!

9. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Everything in this thread might as well be written in Chinese. Being 34 years old i have no clue how these emulators work and downloading Roms and zips a and whatever else. This seems really cool but i dont understand anything. Wow i feel old. And stupid. lol

10. freezesicle

Dec 22, 2011
    gigawing is not in the supported list so it's not going to work with this version of imame.

if there are unofficial samples for batsugun they surely will not work by simply putting them in the samples folder for imame. this version is just not programmed for sound on that game. i know i love that game but we are talking mame 37b5 here :D

11. freezesicle

Dec 22, 2011
    hey we have all been there. just ask questions as you have them and i'm sure you can get some friendly help. it's not all that complicated after all is said and done.

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #512 bigrand1, Dec 26, 2011
    Heh-Heh, I hear ya! No kidding! You think you know a thing or two and all of a sudden there's this! Now I don't feel alone here anymore.

13. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    @freezesicle. Thank u very much for that. Its nice to hear a friendly voice. Usually id expect a response like well u are a dumbass if u dont understand.

14. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    Whew. Thought i was the only one. I feel a little better.

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, but we'll both feel lots better when we get this thing wired and get going loading lots of roms into this puppy successfully, right?

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #516 squarezero, Dec 26, 2011
    The "archival copy" defense is used a lot in these discussions but it's usually poorly understood. The case law is complex and pretty tedious, and much of it has not been conclusively adjudicated. Cases decided in one particular medium (music or broadcast TV) are not necessarily applicable to other media (i.e. software). Folks also confuse case law in Canada with US precedent. In some cases, making an archival copy is legal, but circumventing copy protection to do so is not (nice catch-22 there). In addition, nothing in case law suggests that downloading a ROM of a game that you own is actually legal (Nintendo has made this point over and over again when the subject of SNES emulators comes up). Archival copies are supposed to be made of your own personal media -- you can't just take someone else's backup, and you are likely not allowed to play it in alternate hardware.

That, of course, has nothing to do with my point, which you seem to have ignored. 99.9% of the folks who downloaded iMAME for their iOS devices do not own any original arcade cabinets or pcbs. I grant you that you are part of the minority who (may) have a legitimate right to play ROMs on their iDevices. Most people on this thread (including me) are not. Again, I'm not saying that sharing these very old games is immoral or even unethical. But people shouldn't fool themselves: it is definitely illegal, and no less so because the law is not being enforced.

For reference, here's a link to the ESA page you mentioned. Read the section on archival copies and see if it in any way sanctions the kind of sharing we're talking about.

17. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    #517 Fimb, Dec 26, 2011
    Okay, tried a couple of roms, and nearly everything worked fine. Blazing Star, Esprade, and WakuWaku7 worked like a charm. It amazes me how WakuWaku7 doesn't age -- it looks crisp and funny, and boy, it has colors! Someone should definitely port this game to modern devices.

A question, though. I am on iOS 4.3 so my Options menu won't work. Could anyone tell me ... does this iMAME version have a working bluray connection? Somewhere someone posted about connecting a Wiimote to his iPad and playing iMAME with the classic Nintendo controller through Wiimote. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

18. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    Omg I so love wakuwaku. I have to mess with this now yay.

19. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    #519 heringer, Dec 26, 2011
    Weird. Tried from the 37b5 romset and it definitely doesn't work. Even the bootleg version.

Also, why does the help guide tell you to set the CPU clock to 80% to gain performance in most games while in Neogeo games you should set to 200%? What's the logic here? Shouldn't 200% provide a better performance for every game?

20. mamemeister

mamemeister Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Running marathons and Ultras and retro gaming
    Scotland
    Hehe, probably find at 34 you're one of the youngest hence the lack of knowledge. It's us 40+ somethings that have been into this Mame lark for years.