QuestLord vUpdates 1.2

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LavaLevel, Feb 16, 2013.

?

Eric's list of things to do...by importance

Poll closed Feb 18, 2013.
  1. Crisp pixels only (get rid of anti-aliasing all together)

40.0%
  2. Make Crisp pixels an option

45.0%
  3. iCloud saving

15.0%
  1. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    I have had some requests for QuestLord and I wanted to address them here for people to vote on their main concern in order for me to arrange what is most important to tackle first. I can only get onto certain things at a time so, lets hit it with the requests I have the most current comments on.

Thanks so much guys for your continued support!

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Remove blur
    Unify back/exit button in one spot for all screens
    Make Undeadcow a playable character class

3. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    hehe. undeadCow an option... DANG I should have read that before creating the poll. lol.

you guys are the best.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #4 undeadcow, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    I say 'none of the above,' bring on more content. Additional quests, further elaboration on the plot. The Quest, which very harsh to play on 2x iPad, has gotten tons of praise and fanfare just for keeping things deep. Clean graphics and iCloud save are extra features that I consider secondary to core gameplay and content. If I recall correctly you're already enhancing the bonus roguelike quick game mode so I say keep with that direction.

Never before has an intentionally pixelated retro game been so divisive; QuestLord looks great on my iPod Touch 5G.
    A zombie cow would make an irresistible playable character. Swords, shields, and fireballs nice but nothing says original like bludgeoning giant spiders with cow hooves (Envirobear step aside).

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The options make it somewhat difficult to vote. I would love to see less blurry pixels, especially if they would look better on iPad (currently I only play this on the phone), but it's impossible to decide between a complete changeover and just an option without seeing what it would look like.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    While I personally voted for iCloud backup for selfish reasons, I would suggest the developer just works on whatever is easiest and holds the most appeal to him. That way it is more likely that his enthusiasm and momentum for Questlord can be sustained.

My rationale for iCloud saving: I frequently delete apps to make space and the thought of starting from scratch is really off putting. One of the reasons why I hadn't completed Undercroft even though I was near the ending before deleting it...

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That is brilliant advice; one way QuestLord shines is the obvious enthusiasm for the genre the developer holds. I also think this enthusiasm is one of the reasons QuestLord broke the top 200 and won TA GOTW. QuestLord is stacked with personality slightly blurred graphics on some devices or no.

8. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011

+1 more.

Though... while I didn't even think about the 'blurry' pixiles until it became a point of contention amongst the community, I do think the option to turn it off or on would be neat. (and to deviate further, I like the 'retro view' in gog.com titles - it gives the impression of scan-lines on an old CRT. And, it looks better to me than sharp, square pixles)

Though, like Undeadcow mentioned, I'm way more interested in the expanded quick game content update!

9. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    A complete overhaul is not realistic if that is not what the developer wants. In the end, the game as the developer envisions must be what we accept.

Whether a game succeeds or fails must be on the shoulders of the person who has the most invested - the developer. Who am I to dictate what they spend their time changing or adding?

That being said, the poll is very limiting - two of the three choices are for the graphics. I would rather have the dev spend time on content and game play. Even a new icon as I mentioned in the main thread. Some things in the game should be tweaked before the dev goes and gets sidetracked by this endeavor.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #10 undeadcow, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    I can appreciate "retro view" too; are the graphics in QuestLord really that "broken" or are people just not able to appreciate an intentional retro style present in QuestLord? They never bothered me; but maybe it would be a good way to better "future proof" QuestLord since it seems to be a late generation iPad only issue (?). However my thurst for Goblin Mage blood can only be satiated with expansion content.
    True as this is; I find it refreshing to see a developer seeking audience feedback in direction. I do not imagine he would inquire about unrealistic features. One of the cool things about TA, and iOS gaming, is the potential for developer accessibility. I imagine player satisfaction shaped from collaborative community feedback weighs heavily on small studio game development

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    No I agree with this wholeheartedly. I guess my thing is that if a dev opens this up to the public / community then they are subject to an onslaught of unrealistic requests. There is a difference between make the undeadcow a playable character and oh and by the way can you change the ENTIRE graphics? I kind of feel bad I said I didn't like the icon now even. I guess my point is that everyone should be careful what they wish for. If something takes too much of a developer's time and energy than other cool things might get abandoned.

12. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I suspect that those who want improvements in QuestLord's graphics might not have been playing games yet back in the Apple II or DOS era. Maybe that is why its graphics are acceptable to some and not to others.

13. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    The graphics aren't broken. But I am guessing the higher resolution of the newer i devices require more hardware aliasing, enhancing the softened look.

Thanks for the conversation :)

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well said and quoted for truth. Looking forward to whatever the future has in store for QuestLord; whenever the developer seems fit to give us a hint.

15. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I was trying to figure out how to say (essentially) the same thing earlier! So succinct! Thank you :)

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I'll vote for more content - Eric was going to focus on the Quick Game mode, bring it on :)

But yes, one of my main niggles is the home button on the items screen, I keep hitting it when wanting to go back... If that would be changed, it would be great :) Other than that, nothing from my end, really.

17. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Me too, hitting the back to main menu button instead of the back button that is...