iPad Dark-Quest / Dark-Quest HD (by Brain Seal Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #1 Vovin, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013

Dark-Quest

Brain Seal Ltd
    •• PLAY THE #1 ROLE PLAYING GAME IN 7 COUNTRIES •• "Dark Quest makes good use of a rather eclectic mix of gameplay ide…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    •• PLAY THE #1 ROLE PLAYING GAME IN 7 COUNTRIES •• "Dark Quest makes good use of a rather eclectic mix of gameplay ideas" - 148apps "We had a blast playing this game who knew wizards could be fun?" - TouchArcade "Dark Quest brings the spirit of classic dungeon crawling boardgame" - HardcoreDroid "The game offers some solid turn based strategy RPG gameplay" - Capsule Computers _________________________________________________________________ Dark Quest is a turn based fantasy role playing adventure game where players assume the role of a mighty barbarian on his epic quest to destroy the forces of the evil sorcerer and save the land from evil. _________________________________________________________________ Story An evil sorcerer has appeared in the lands, he has built a dungeon in the nearby village of faladir, where his minions use it as a base to raid the surrounding villages to bring terror and death to all its citizens. A hero by the name Zantor dares to defy the powers of the sorcerer and seeks to destroy the dungeon and put an end to this. Features • Enter a world of fantasy and adventure: Explore twisted mazes, find hidden doors and fight bloodthirsty orcs! • Roll the skull of fate and reveal your twisted fate: The evil sorcerer will torment your soul for his own amusement, he will summon you in the sphere of judgment where you will be forced to play a twisted game of death, and can you survive his magic? • Slaughter endless hordes of orcs & undead: Your strength, courage and strategy will be the key into wining every battle. • Trade with the people in the village: Spend the gold you find in your adventures in the village to buy new potions, weapons and spells for your characters. • Control a party of up to 3 characters each with their own unique abilities: Use the unique strengths of each character and work together to defeat the minions of the evil sorcerer. Characters • The Barbarian: A powerful character who can bring terror and destruction to all his enemies with his destructive force and skill of sword. • The Wizard: This character is very weak in close combat but his highly potent spells are capable of altering the outcome of any battle to your favor. Use his powers wisely and you may stand a chance against the hordes of the evil sorcerer. • The Dwarf: The dungeons are vast and dangerous but with the help of your ally Thorin the Dwarf you have nothing to fear. His quick feet and eye for danger will save you against numerous traps and grave danger!
    Information
    Seller:Brain Seal Ltd
    Genre:Role Playing, Strategy
    Release:Apr 16, 2013
    Updated:Jun 27, 2013
    Version:1.0.5
    Size:129.8 MB
    User Rating: (16)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Hey... just a buck ($2.99 for iPad) and no IAP according to iTunes, gonna download it now!

iPad version, not universal:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=592072574&mt=8

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Leave impressions, Vovin...just saw this in "newest game releases". Looks a bit like "Companions" by Smuttleworks but I'm sure the similarities are only cosmetic.

3. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Don't like seeing 3 stars in the corner...not an element I expect to find in a strategy game.

4. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Now that I think about it, it looks more like Hero Mages.

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #5 pjft, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Hm, call me interested.

Do we control a party, or only take the single guy through the dungeons? How's the gameplay?

If it's anything like a turn-based board game, with dice-rolling and such, I'm buying this when I get home.

Curious about impressions!

[EDIT] Actually, just found a video:

6. Skypoint

Skypoint Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Judging from screenshot 1, it looks inspired by the Heroquest board game from Milton Bradley. I'll buy it later today, I think...
    [​IMG]

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I just bought it on Android, since it's the phone I have around, and perhaps I'll double dip on the iPad version when I get home if it's fun.

Lots of Dungeon-y-Questy-like games coming out now - they do know how to get me to spend money... And here I am waiting for Warhammer Quest!

Let me know about impressions whenever you have the chance to play it.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #8 Vovin, Apr 16, 2013

Because, mate. ;)

Firing it up now, right after I took my original, honemade Ciabatta out of the oven. :)

First impressions are good, nice board-game / dungeon crawler hybrid like Hero Quest or the first Warhammer Quest. Very atmospheric sounds, crisp graphics.
    It's close to Mighty Dungeons, just without seperate battle screens.
    You accept missions and have to get them done in a specific number of turns, otherwise you're dead as as the Python parrot.
    You collect money on your way and battle foes. Nice: random events come up every bunch of turns.
    You also meet other AI-controlled characters along the way which follow and help / support you at battle. They auto-follow you, but you canaslso give them commands.
    Between missions, the usual town-/character management stuff.
    There are also dialogues while playing a mission, cool thing.
    There's also some polish.

9. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Looks pretty cool but the way price drops have been happening this past couple of weeks I'll wait until the weekend and the ipad version will be 69p :rolleyes:

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hypothetically how does one roll a "skull of fate" in a way that would produce a meaningful result? Too bad there's no animation with that.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #11 Vovin, Apr 16, 2013

Yeah, that's the only thing I am missing.

But oops, I am a bit addicted now. Very fluid gameplay. After you've picked up your first companion, things get more fun. You need to think before every move to maximize it. It also get quite tactical, especially if one hero gets badly hurt.

12. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Looks really interesting. How many missions are there? Any kind of endless mode?

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Sounds like my type of game...except for the limited turns. I would snap it up right now, but I hardly use my phone anymore...this looks precisely like the type of game which would leave me with a headache on a 3.5 inch screen. I'll put the ipad version on my wishlist.

BTW, if the art and aound assests are exectly the same, just scaled up in size, why does there have to be a price difference? Are iPad owners considered more affluent? Should I be charged 33% less because my ipad is a mini, and only recieve 7 inches of game for my money ;)?

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Adding to AppShopper...

What is the unique selling point that Dark Quest have over Mighty Dungeons? They both seem quite similar...

15. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    The skull of fate I'm not sure how it's triggered. I got +1 health, lose your next turn, and a couple of others so far.

It's interesting - the stars are not what you'd expect, it's more like hidden treasures in the dungeon. If you find the 3 stars and collect them, you'll rack up more points at the end of the dungeon (perhaps money?).

As for combats, there's no dice-rolling, which I had some expectations for, so since that's hidden it's really just clicking it and it shows the result.

The AI companions follow you around, but you don't control them directly. Vovin: you said you can give them commands, how does that work?

So far it's fun, though I haven't played much yet - just a few minutes during lunch break. Not sure how I feel about the turn counter, but I guess I can live with it - it's like every mission has a sense of urgency.

Cheers,
    Paulo

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Good question.

The combat is different here, it's more like the original board game. In Mighty Dungeons it's like you have to wear your opponent out, he starts with, say 40HP, you start with 80HP, and then you mash the button or change attacks during the fight, but all in all they're very resilient enemies. Here it's really the original board game rules, as far as I can tell. You have a number of HeroQuest dice you roll (look them up), and you have defense dice that you can roll to block attacks, and a certain amount of HP. It's all hidden, though. I know the mechanics here sound similar to Mighty Dungeons, but they're not - and that's all down to the scale of the enemies' and yours HP and attack power. It's like you have 7HP, you have 3 attack dice, and 2 defense dice.

Also, it has parties and you can face multiple enemies at once, which adds to the tactical depth. You do not seem to have complete control over your other party members, though.

What else...

I'm sure as we play more, we'll find out more things. that being said, if you like the idea of Mighty Dungeons, but feel that the mechanics with the combat kind of make things feel a bit repetitive or pointless, this might be something you should consider.

[EDIT] Also, can anyone confirm if there's auto-save? I was playing on my Android phone, and I had quit halfway through the dungeon. I went back and it re-started at the beginning of the dungeon. Does that also happen in iOS?

Cheers!

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Holy wow. This looks awesome. Will have to download this later.

18. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    What's AppShopper?

I had and loved the board game back in the day... Also space crusade and addons.
    Wonder if there ever be a space crusade one come out?

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    The closest we get to Space Crusade on an iPad is Hunters: Episode One and Hunters 2, in my opinion.

If you haven't tried them, do look into it, they're quite fun.

If you have an Android device, asides from Hunters: Episode One, there's also Templar Assault, from the Trese Brothers.

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #20 undeadcow, Apr 16, 2013
    AppShopper is a price tracking website that allows you to "bookmark" certain apps for when they drop to a particularly price. You can also browse new releases and recent price drops.

Link: www.appshopper.com
    Well said, downloading Dark Quest.