Wasteland coming to iOS!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 1nonya1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Oh.. My... GOD! I can't wait!!! Didn't even notice this when I looked at the front page!

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really looking forward to this Elite app. I loved the Speccy app they released but this surely will be a bigger hit for them as it'll feature famous 8/16 bit games which most people will know (As the Speccy was mostly UK based).

Shame it didnt come out last weekend but i hope to get this the second its out. Shame Elite release their apps on a friday (or saturday) instead of the usual wednesday at midnight. Probably get more exposure if they did it on the big release night ?

But i'm looking forward to trying out lots of these old classics

3. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    No... way.

Holy crap.

2 Questions. #1 = When, #2 = How in the hell are they going to deal with the "paragraph" system of delivering the story?

For those that don't know Wasteland, the "copy protection" for that game was basically that it shipped with a little paperback book. At certain points in the game, you would be prompted to "read paragraph 12" or whatever. At these points, the little paragraph in the book would give you the related part of the story (some of which were essential for progressing through the game).

I actually still have my paragraph book, so I'm good to go. However, I'd hope they've added a way to access the paragraphs "in game" somehow.

Also, how are they going to deal with the persistent world issues? Thing about Wasteland was that back when it was released, they actually encouraged you to copy your disks before playing it. Once you started playing it, anything changed in the game world was actually written directly to the disc. If you wanted to start over, you had to start from your backup copies (basically... you could actually start over on the same discs, but anything the previous characters had blown up/wrecked, etc, would still be wrecked at the start of the new game).

Actually, that's 3 questions, but what the hell, I love me some Wasteland.

If this actually comes out for iOS, I'll doubt you'll see much of me around here, as this would literally be the only game I'd need.

EDIT: Read this before actually reading the article, and just came back to say HOLY **** Neuromancer too??

4. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Had this running on my PSP using DOSbox, should be nice to get a portable version of this on my phone! This was one of the first RPG's I beat, played the whole thing through on my AppleIIe!

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Likely.
    So nothing is, in fact, confirmed..?

6. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Oh.. crap. Umm. Boooooooooooooo!

Though honestly, they must know something, or have an idea that those are titles which are going to be released. Would be a hell of a tease if they just pulled those titles out of their collective rears.

7. Arkais

Arkais Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Such a great old school RPG! Can't wait for this one to hit the app store.

8. Gnome

Gnome Well-Known Member

Amazing news indeed! Wasteland does after all remain one of the best classic CRPGs, has aged much better than expected and is easily Fallout's granddaddy. A brilliant, brilliant game.