Borderlands Game Of The Year Edition

Discussion in 'Mac App Store Games' started by goiMot, Jan 26, 2011.

1. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

US$49.99

Description

Check out our Borderlands mini-site! http://www.feralinteractive.com/borderlands

Bloodthirsty bandits. Vicious monsters. Tons of loot. Lock, load and face the madness. Gearbox Software’s acclaimed sci-fi hit comes to the Mac App Store, complete with all four Add-On packs. Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition is a unique hybrid of first person shooter and role-playing game with a super sharp visual style and a compelling four player co-op mode.

Planet Pandora is a sparsely populated wasteland where the rule of law gets rewritten daily in the smoke of the last gun battle. Civilization consists of small outposts on the fringe of human influence, in an area called the Borderlands. Pandora’s one claim to fame is a mythical Vault supposedly packed with fantastic riches.

Fortune hunters, corrupt corporate mercenaries and lowlife hoodlums roam the landscape, searching under every grain of sand for the treasure. Since most intelligent life on Pandora has the occupation of Vault Hunter, society has gone to hell – making the outposts and outback areas more than just a little dangerous.

• Unique hybrid role playing shooter that combines frantic first-person shooting action with accessible role-playing character progression.
    • Super sharp graphics style gives Borderlands a unique comic book come-to-life look.
    • Co-op Frenzy – drop in and out with up to 4 player co-operative for a maniacal multiplayer experience.
    • Millions of randomly generated guns! Choose your weapon from rocket-launching shotguns, enemy-torching revolvers, and tons more.
    • Huge single-player game with four playable characters and serious replayability.
    • Includes all four Add-On packs – The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution.

★★★★★ MacFormat Choice Award “A stunning game that pulls off role-playing with first-person shooting.” – MacFormat

★★★★★ “Borderlands has become a cult hit on PC and console systems since its release, and for good reason” – iCreate

The following graphics cards are NOT supported: ATI X1xxx series, NVIDIA 7xxx series and Intel GMA series. Full system requirements are available on our Borderlands mini-site at http://www.feralinteractive.com/borderlands

Link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/borderlands-game-of-the-year/id411888529?mt=12#

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
  3. edge3112

edge3112 Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Again, anyone know if this will run okay on an 11" MacBook Air (1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 256 MB video memory)? The minimum system requirements ask for 1.6GHz processor but I'm sure when I got bioshock on my windows laptop my processor wasn't quite up to scratch and it ran alright. Not much of a pc/mac gamer so these things r good to know now. Thanx :)

4. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    I have played bioshock on my 13" macbook pro 2.53 GHz Nvidia 9400M and it ran just fine. Anyone know if Borderlands will run just fine as well on the same computer?

5. edge3112

edge3112 Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I downloaded borderlands the other night on my 11" Air. The first time it was jerky as hell. I was about to write an email to ask for a refund but i started it up again. Now it works amazingly well. I have dynamic shadows and all graphical tweaks on. Probably just needed a reboot. I only have a 1.4GHz processor too. So I'm pretty sure you'll be fine!

6. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    First things first AHHH yes, Mac's are great! next: questions to help with a large purchase decision: How many people are online? This came out in 2008, wondering if it's died out?
    I'm on a 24 inch Mac but am using nvidia's crap graphics card (9400?) wondering about estimations on the frame rate

7. danozzy18

danozzy18 Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2010
    for some reason, after downloading the game i instantly booted up and played it, however the native settings seemed so choppy and i cant have been getting about 20fps.
    Other reviews said that macbook pro with nvidia 9400m runs fine, maybe a proper reboot will sort it? ill give it a go later, i can still have fun but im having to play the game on seemingly low settings :(

8. tantrikninja

tantrikninja Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Would love some user-feedback on the controls and stuff? is it as easy as touch to click? do keyboard and mouse work well? I checked out their website but couldnt get a sense of the targeting system or anything? I guess wht im trying to ask is - can I play this while i pretend to be working or something? or do i need to be a bit too involved for that sort of subterfuge?

keen to download and join up on-line - but need to know whts wht before getting into that.

9. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    It's just an FPS, so you move around with WASD, aim with the mouse, shoot with the left mouse button etc.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm wondering how well this would work on a Mac mini (current gen)? I'm guessing only fair. Even Portal (Steam) ran a little jerky, though it wasn't too bad. This seems like it would be more graphic intensive. Anyway, I'm probably not buying until it drops to $20 or less, so I have a while to wait. Still, I'm very happy to see a relatively big title like this appear.

How is the online? Is there an active community? Also, can you play with Windows players?

11. Remon

Remon Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Loved this game on the pc, great to see it appear in the Mac AppStore!

12. tantrikninja

Nov 18, 2010
    Cool. thnks for the feedback.

So i mulled over it - and im decided - im going for it. Now im wondering if I can use that app that makes my ipad an extended screen for my mac to play this of that.

8GB sooo i just shut down my system as usual and it'll pick up frm where it leaves off right.

13. edge3112

edge3112 Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I did tantrikninja (quite a few times).

Couldn't agree more about the native settings too. I chose this over the tried and tested demo of bioshock cos I'v completed the submerged distopian excellence already. Never played Borderlands, only seen clips that looked rather incredible... So I went for it.

The first time I loaded up my 11" Air, I was horrified. The cut scenes to lead me into the game were grand, but as soon as I was in control I was running at about 5fps. Nightmare. I thought I'd made the biggest mistake yet. No way was iTunes refunding me for this... cos the Air's stats were nowhere near good enough to match the minimum system requirements. I tried fiddling with everything, but even lowering graphical settings to the very lowest level was no good. I went to bed quite depressed about the whole thing...

Next day I gave it another shot. What a difference. Smoothe (except for odd splitsecond jerkiness between missions and when there's alot going on in screen).

Now, admittedly, I've only played the one player adventure so far. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, cos I'm a bit crap at first person shooters truth be told...

But I'm using a 1.4GHz processor and I can run dynamic shaddows, high graphical levels and all the little extras.

Controls are as you'd expect. I don't have a mouse, so I can't comment, but even with a bluetooth trackpad (and keyboard from my bed), the action is all pretty east to control. Even better with my trackpad on the laptop to be honest...

But yeh, best £30 I've spent on a game in a long time. Couldn't recommend it enough. Can't wait to see some more A+ titles appear on the MacStore. Wonder if it'll adopt an unofficial big realease day, like the Appstore's Thursday.

That probably wasn't much use to most people, but if u can at least learn that after a reboot the performance picks up, then at least I can save you the same mental anguish that I went through on day one.

See you online :)

14. tantrikninja

Nov 18, 2010
    Im with you on the restart philosophy. sometimes all you gotta do is show the machine who's boss. and if tht dont work i go with a switching on and off of the main supply. -if laptop: remove the battery and waterboard.

thatll learn them real good.

Dmn thought id have it by now for sure. guess my connection picked this time to act up for no reason. i even got it to perk up for a minute or two with a system restart. ultimately had to request the IT person to do it form the server.

fortunately - gotta be at work (heh-heh) tomorrow. Saturday. Should pick up by then. look forward to an hour or so of some solid console type gaming. I hear the loot system is quite sophisticated in this game. Cant wait. cant wait.

15. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    So looking forward to playing this!

16. tantrikninja

Nov 18, 2010
    Was it just my mind playing tricks on me or did I see the Unreal Engine Logo Splash across my screen on startup?

So this is basically an Unreal Engine FPS. And there is more to the controls than the old WASD - R=Reload; V=For Close-Range Attacks; C=Crouch. But yeah - Totally playable (so far) and totally worth it. Mostly because - Unreal Engine - of Dungeon Defenders fame - the sweet secret sauce which makes it all possible.

17. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Bought this over the weekend, it was really amazing. It plays beautifully at 1920x on the top end 2010 iMac, but only when I have Dynamic Shadow set to off, though. Everything else was set to high / ON.

18. SlimlineGames

SlimlineGames Well-Known Member

Cloud

With Onlive (www.onlive.com) you could run it on almost any computer (it's cloud computing)

19. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I agree with the OnLive recommendation if you have a fast connection - toucan also save a ton of storage space!

20. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Yeah, but only if you have a s=fast connection.

My connection is rubbish, so when I tried OnLive, the whole thing constantly cut out on me every 30m.