cell shading ??

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by geelet, May 6, 2009.

1. geelet

geelet Member

Mar 13, 2009
    #1 geelet, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    is it possible ??

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    ummm..... yes?

3. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Word for word, exactly what I was going to write XD

4. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Ha! I dont even understand what this person is asking. To the OP, why dont you ask more of your question than what you did post.

It would be like if i posted a thread called "games?" and said "people make?"

5. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    #5 Anders, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    Of course it is a legitimate question. Rephrased:

"Is it possible to implement cell shading with the current hardware and OpenGL support on the iPhone/iPod Touch?"

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Not sure about cell shading (whatever that is ;) ), but as far as cel shading goes, you mean like Rebolt? If so, then I'd say yes.

--Eric

7. geelet

geelet Member

Mar 13, 2009
    great :D learned about two things here ;)

thanks for the info, didnt knew about this one. seems like a nice game.

as far for cel shading, im thinking about phantom hourglass.

8. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    No it's not. There is no support for pixel shaders on iPhone. Rebolt's outline on the characters is done by upscaling the model 5% and then re-rendering in black. (twice the polygons...)

9. geelet

geelet Member

Mar 13, 2009
    thanks!
    this expains why the level isnt cel shaded too.

so does it depend on the sdk to make pixeshaders possible or is the hardware never good enough ?!

10. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Not that I know the specifics of the graphics hardware, but it would be rather strange not to include the support if the hardware allowed it. It's OpenGL anyway.. I don't think Apple would have to do too much if it was possible in the first place.

11. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    You can do convincing cell shading using a fixed function pipeline (per-vertex at least), but it's a little more work on the iPhone due to the lack of 1D textures and projection modes. It basically comes down to calculating the texture coords manually every frame and using a specially crafted stepped-gradient texture. A second pass can be used to draw outlines.

12. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    rebolt does that trick and its discussed on unity forums from when i talked about it a while back.. opengles 2 should support shaders so when that happens itll open many doors.. hopefully this summers iphone :p

13. geelet

geelet Member

Mar 13, 2009
    well yeah but apple is known for NOT including things even if the hardware is capable of doing it. but i guess they are still working hard on what the iphone should be.

frank or evp too, does your ideas of doin the cel shaded design makes the game more slow or draining the battery more then as if it would acually be possible to do it with pixel shaders ie cel shading ?

14. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

There is no one true way to accomplish 'cel shading', and the term itself is even very vague as to what it means. Some interpret it as outlines (accomplished using double geometry with inverted normals), others refer to stepped gradients when shading the objects.

In any case, it's not something you just flick a switch in the hardware to do, it's something you can accomplish using a number of tricks, some of which were already outlined above. And yes, they're perfectly feasible on the iPhone using OpenGL ES 1.1.

Concerns about battery life and performance are a bit silly. If you decide to go with outlines that double your poly count, just be more mindful of how many polys you use. Nothing in graphics comes for free.

15. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    well i think the reasoning is is it worth it to use primitive methods to achieve an outline if it means doubling the poly count for that object? maybe for 1 model its ok.. but the whole scene noway. and its hard enough having complex scenes with high detail and low poly count.