How do you get your game reviewed?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Edge, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Edge

Edge New Member

Aug 2, 2013
    How do you get reviews for your game?
    What do you need to do, to get sites like this one write reviews about your game?

A couple of days ago we realized our shmup game Teslapunk. We sent out a Press Release, though I doubt that this alone will grant us any reviews. I definitely have faith in our game's quality. But this is not enough if there are no reviews written about it.

Reviews offer great potential for quality games of indie devs. Because they usually don't have any money for marketing.

Here is the Teslapunk Release Trailer: http://vimeo.com/70820213

2. Gua

Gua Active Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Gamedesigner
    Ukraine, Kyiv
    One of the mysteries of this universe.

3. goodluck000

goodluck000 New Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Re:How do you get your game reviewed?

Dear Edge,
    There're many sites providing reviews and promoting services. Have you ever tried? We also have app marketing, reviews and rank boosting services. You can contact me if you really need.
    Good luck!

4. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    This is what I do if i can be bothered that is! :p Needless to say, speaking for myself as a newbie, I find review site submissions are quite pointless and get me nowhere apart from wasting time going through the process.

I guess the old saying of making a really, really, really good game will help. And clearly, i am not at that stage!

5. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Reviews take so much work!

I've spent the past several months putting together lists of review sites and researching how to write great review request emails. It's an art.

Although I haven't had a lot of time to format and update this document recently, I'm willing to share it - gotta give Indie Love! This has integrated several of the lists mentioned often in these forums as well as my own research - it's the most comprehensive list I've seen. :eek:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhfhQ91oX8hadDZXa1JyWFN4R1I1YnhRelJ3dzBhd1E#gid=10

I hope it helps!

6. rzdesign

rzdesign Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Illustrator & (Game) Designer
    The Netherlands
    I've actually started what raekess did. Making a Google document with all blogs, websites, etc. Specifically for iOS articles. (A lot of gaming websites don't really publish mobile reviews and such). Took me months to get them all...

Afterwards I've collected the main contact addresses & webforms. Which I've contacted all with my first game. Afterwards you get personal contacts, that I could use for my second game, etc, etc.

At this very moment (3 games further) I have a great press contact list with personal contacts. That way my chances in getting reviews are significantly higher than it was at first. BUT, don't forget that even with a 'below average'-game, even press contacts won't help you.

Just look at some classics, ... most of them didn't even do marketing at all and still they'll get reviewed. It's all about going viral. But, besides that, having personal contact with some major iOS/review websites can be helpful!

7. James [Oso Games]

Oct 9, 2012
    Senior Software Engineer
    http://www.osogames.com
    Merely shooting off press release emails is rarely going to work if nobody knows who you are. This is about as friendly and personal as cold calling someone on the phone. Nobody wants to talk to people they don't know (and who are basically trying to sell them something).

If you're not a big name developer or publisher it's very hard to get noticed. But that said, pretty much every big name developer became big by doing (and continuing to do) the following:

Get out there and meet people. Go to trade shows, developer conferences, exhibitions, etc. and network with reviewers, advertisers, site editors/owners. Get to know them personally. Build and cultivate those relationships. If your budget is small (and I realise it is for a lot of people) at least try and get to a show close to home - you don't have to go to every conference there is, but you should strive to get to at least one or two.

As you're developing a game, keep in regular contact with these good folks. Keep them up-to-date with the progress of your game, but most of all try to get them excited about the game. But never fire off a single mass email to everyone in your address book - keep the mails personal. Make them feel they're being given something nobody else has (if you can truly give out unique content to all of them, so much the better).

While there are still no guarantees that this will get your game reviewed, every little helps. Get a few sites interested in your game, and - if it's a great game - other sites will quite possibly pick it up in the future.

Good luck. :)

8. onbekend

onbekend Member

Apr 22, 2013
    #9 onbekend, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    This is what I did. I made a media pack as described in this blog article: http://retrodreamer.com/blog/2011/08/how-to-media-kits-retro-dreamer-style/ and put the zip in dropbox and had a link to it in my emails. Went down the list of possible review (google them, there are loads). Sent a email with a video link, promo code and a description of why my app was worth bothering with. I also did a similar thing with you tube app reviewers. I got a few reviews and mentions and about half my promos got used, which I think is a pretty reasonable considering the amount of games that are released.

What I learned from the experience is that you should have all this sorted before you release your game. If you release a game and no one knows about it, then you can't realistically expect it to sell well unless you have a amazing original game and you are lucky. The temptation is that as a game takes ages to make and you get to the finish line you want it out as soon as possible.

Apart from valuable support from hardcore mobile app players, my view is the primary purpose of reviews and such is to get it noticed by apple and placed somewhere reasonable in iTunes. My feeling is that most people don't read app reviews and don't look on forums, they are on the bus and they look at iTunes and pick something based on its visibility there.

9. mokoolapps

mokoolapps Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Male
    Mobile App Developer
    There are a few ways
    - The wrong way - goto Fiverr
    - The right way - add a review script in your app, after they play X times, ask them for a review. I would keep it at 3-4 plays since people who dont like it are not going to play that many times.

10. Heromind

Heromind New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    This document helps a lot! Thanks you.
    Btw, the video on your website: http://www.squinkgames.com about Gummies is fantastic, did you made it by your self? If so, what software/tools are you using?

11. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Glad it Helps!

Heromind, I'm glad you found the document helpful. :)

Yes, we made both trailers ourselves. We used Fraps to record the in-game footage and then Adobe After Effects to put it all together. As part of Erik's (my partner's) freelance work, he can do trailers if you're interested. ;)

12. emdash

emdash Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    artist / Art Director
    Oakland, CA
    Just chiming in there with thanks to raekess for sharing the doc with all that useful information. We're getting close to the final polish stage on MageMaze and so that kind of info is going to be very handy very soon. Very cool of you to share it.... Thanks!

13. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Holy Generosity Batman!

14. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    LOL! Most welcome!

It's all about the Indie love. :)

15. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    My pleasure!

16. Muppetpuppet

Muppetpuppet Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    That Sir, is a thing of beauty, I feel bad actually reading it without returning anything..

But by way of promoting Vlambeer's (go dutchies) Presskit() I can hopefully add something. They've released their presskit tool for free. Its a thoroughly thought out and tested tool to create and manage a proffesional game presskit. Based on their very successful experiences with ridiculous fishing for instance.

So that's my little bit, go check out Presskit() at dopresskit.com its an awesome free tool, made with the same dedication to the game dev community as you put into your google doc here.

Cheers

17. metekamil

metekamil Active Member

Feb 22, 2013
    If you write your own review, I will place it on YouGamePlay.com (homepage)
    I am looking to add reviews but I don't have the time. Plus, who knows better than the developer? :)

mail me at [email protected] if interested. I will be placing the review spot below the top video pick of the day. The app MUST have a video uploaded on youtube to accompany the review.

I'll have a proper system in place soon to submit reviews. No fee's.

18. Jacky

Jacky Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Hi friend, do you have any recommended site? Could you please share with us? Thank you so much.

19. Jacky

Jacky Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I agree with you, Appvism. I have submitted many requests for review to review site, but no one replied. It is really a hurt and a waste of time. Even though you got a reply, that is a paid review site. The best way is to make great game, win good fame, then players will share with their friends, this is the most effective way I think.