Pixel Defenders Puzzle (by Gary Whittle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Dec 15, 2012.

1. formulae

formulae Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Yeah it gets more intense as you progress ;D Some of the late levels can be very unforgiving!

Going to trial an undo button for the next version. Only problem is (aside from lack of UI space) what to do with the currently-issued unit? Because if you undo, it will have to re-issue you the previous unit you placed. It might upset gameplay, so I'll have to test it, but I'm hoping to add it.

Not sure re/ Lv14, I'd have to play it again. No doubt if you get lucky it can certainly be done.

2. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #142 y2kmp3, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Yes, please try out and let me know about this for Level 14.

I have since been able to complete the level (only once, after about 150 restarts (no kidding, really)) without using the shop and without ever getting my VIP hit. However, I now run into another problem. The number of turns it took was too high, yielding only half a for the "turns taken". That level was literally well played (i.e., minimize wasted moves). When you mentioned that you can complete the level WITHOUT the shop, do you mean that the level can be completed with 3-star rating for this level too?

Having played a lot of similar strategy type games, I am beginning to wonder if there is too much optimization, narrowing too much the window of winning strategies to allow the player to be creative. Any deviation yields a penalty one way or another. Reminds of me the initial version of Fieldrunners 2, with excessive optimization that made the game punishingly difficult.

3. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Okay I just played Level 14, and although it's probably a bit tougher than it should be for the 14th level, its very possible to 3-star with no stock-items, without the VIP getting hit.
    The trick for this level is to allow the Evil Wizard to make his first cast, then immediately kill the unit he targeted.
    Later on in the level you should be able to easily remove the Evil Wizard with the Magician (on my go I even got unlucky and his first 2 actions missed - and I still got within the turns-taken threshold by 30 turns).

There are various strategies to some levels (like the above) that require thinking and experimentation to get 3 stars on.

Yes, we did this before the first release - 3-stars on every level without using any stock items. This obviously isn't easily achieved unless you're an expert at the game.

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I will try it out. Where can I find this "turns-taken threshold"? I can't locate it anywhere? Also, is there a total turn counter during play? This will help to determine if I am close or far from star rating.

5. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    I can only see it cos I made it ;D The star thresholds will be visible to everyone in the next update.

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    That would be awesome! :)

Great update by the way. Thanks for all those GC achievements

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #147 y2kmp3, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Thanks. I finally 3-starred Level 14 without any VIP hit and without using the shop!

That was just insanely difficult, in large part (as you rightly pointed out) that you need to have certain random chances for the correct items to drop and for you to trade up in time to the magician to work. The time I made it was entirely because the magician, at a truly critical moment, had eliminated an enemy unit that was about to attack in the nick of time. If it had not done so, the level would have been lost again.

Looking the road ahead, can you tell me which other levels are particularly insanely difficult so I can keep an eye out?

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    formulae,

Any tips for Level 19? Same problem as Level 14. Enemies appearing too fast and cannot ramp up unit fast enough to accumulate enough hit points to take enemies out before at least one of them strikes the VIP. Are you able to do it without getting VIP hit and without using the store?

9. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Just bought this game, it's really great but icloud save support would be really appreciated. I have to decide whether I want to play this on my phone or ipad. :(

10. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I think I've had about 150 goes at level 35, and I cannot do it without using an extra action button. I'll keep going though, given that you tell me it's possible...

What a splendid game! A great example of the way in which small tweaks of a game mechanic can produce something that's really different and exciting.

11. JayTay

JayTay Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    I cannot for the life of me figure out level 20 (a puzzle one). Any pointers anyone?

12. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Hey Touch Arcaders - Just to let you know there is a huge update coming!
    Here's the details:

- Removed all In App Purchases. Stock Items (now known as Loot) can now be earned at an increased rate in multiple new ways.
    - Improved Endless Mode.
    - Undo! - You can now undo your last move at no cost.
    - Scare V.I.P.s - Pesky V.I.P. in the way? Now you can scare them onto another tile.
    - Move Defenders - For the cost of some Action Points you can now move a Defender from their current tile to another one.
    - Boss-Fight Level - The final level (36) has been changed from a Puzzle Stage to a brand-new Boss Fight.
    - Intro & ending cut-scenes added.
    - Game Restoration - If quit mid-level, the next time you start the game your progress on that level will be restored.
    - Star Targets - You can now view the target requirements for earning stars on each level.
    - Music - A new regular-stage background track added, as well as new music for the boss stage.
    - A trophy replaces an enemy on the title screen if the final boss is defeated.
    - View the lineage of each Defender from their status bar.
    - Tons of minor improvements and fixes.

Also trying to support iCloud but haven't been able to test it yet.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback given on here, it's helped a lot!

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are some great improvements in this update from the looks of it. Thank you for removing in app purchase, adding undo, etc. If anyone hasn't picked up Pixel Defenders Puzzle they should now, it's a great game.

14. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    A screenshot of the final boss + UI improvements

[​IMG]

15. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    #155 formulae, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  16. graverubber

graverubber Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The only thing missing from this game is iCloud support. Damn near perfect.

17. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great update! Thanks, and keep up the good work.

18. Alyindar

Alyindar Well-Known Member

I can't seem to enable Music anymore. By default none plays, and if I go to settings and tap the "Mute Music" button a checkbox shows up, but I am unable to make the check go away. iPad 3 running iOS 6.1.3, no jailbreak.

19. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Yeah there's a bit of a bug when it comes to loading the music now (the software I used to develop it changed its behaviour between updates, unbeknownst to me). I'll have the fix for it submitted tomorrow.

If you experience any more problems check out/get in contact via http://pixeldefenders.com/

20. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I started a game last night after redownloading the app and completed a couple levels, but when I opened it again later on my progress was reset.