Getting started with 3D development

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arkanigon, Feb 28, 2009.

1. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    hey guys. I'm wondering what tools those of you that have done 3d games for the iphone/ipod touch use?

any hints on getting started?

Thanks.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Well there Unity (its a 3D engine)

i havent made a iphone game yet but I still know some stuff :)

3. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks. :) Unity3D seems to be the most popular choice... Though I'm wondering what other options there are.

4. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    Just learn OpenGL, then learn the differences that make up OpenGLES, then write your own 3d Engine, and then integrate this into your new game. Sorted :)

A good place to start learning OpenGL is http://nehe.gamedev.net/

5. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Hi, I'm a 3ds max artist, does that mean that I can't create models and animation for a game without having first learn OpenGL? that sucks... :(

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008

What u said (a max 3d artist) I think it means that you can only create 3d objects etc... But to make your own 3d engine you have to knoe openGL or openGLES.

7. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    3ds max is the name of the software which my company use to create animations for TV commercials. Well, I guess I'll never be able to make my very own game without a good coder/programmer to help me out.

8. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    you can take a low poly model from 3dsmax and write an opengl converter from the ASE Text output. There are plenty of examples on the net, but it doesn't take long to write your own one, which I did for my latest game in development.

9. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks. :) I'll probably end up going this route, as it will force me to learn OpenGL.

10. lightbrush

lightbrush Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Project Assistant (teaching computing to the disab
    Cambridge, UK
    OpenGL libs + Cheetah 3D to create the models (really good tool that includes an export to opengl compatible format)

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
  12. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Appreciate all the info guys.

13. indigo8

indigo8 Well-Known Member

Developing in 3D

Coming from a background of a lot of PC and console development experience, we developed our game (Indigo Ocho) on a desktop machine (actually a PC, because we didn't have a Mac or an iPod when we started) first (in C++), then basically ported that to the iPhone (still nearly all C++). We used an Xbox 360 controller to 'simulate' our accelerometer.

The reason we maintained it that way as long as we did was to keep the change-build-run cycle as short as possible, because deploying to the iPhone is pretty slow. In our experience, the shorter that cycle is, the better quality the game ends up.

However, now that the game has grown into its own on the iPhone we pretty much can't go back easily.. ;)