With iOS 4.2 Beta, Does iPad play retnia games in high resolution?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greg G, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    #1 Greg G, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    Been really hoping that games designed for retnia display would look full quality on the iPad once 4.2 comes out and now the beta is out so hopefully someone can clue us in. My main fear is that they won't do it because iPad has half the memory of the iPhone 4 (Apple just wants to make sure we upgrade when they come out with the "magical" 512mb iPad)

EDIT: The answer is no :mad::mad::mad::mad:

-Greg

2. QuantumDuck

QuantumDuck Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Spreading the word about FREE apps!
    Theres no retina display on the iPad so no, but I must say, some of the apps (native apple apps) look "spiffed up."

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It has nothing to do with ram, it has to do with the hardware of the screen - so in short, no because the iPad does not have a retina display.

iPad dpi = 130 something

iPhone 4 dpi = 326

Magazine print dpi = 300 (just for kicks)

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    but the iPad has more pixels than the iPhone the iPhone's are just smaller

5. maxcalibre

maxcalibre Member

Nov 5, 2008
    This is actually an interesting point. I design apps for iPhone, iPhone 4 and iPad. The resolution I have to create images for the iPhone 4 (640x960) is not too far off the iPad resolution (768x1024), so in theory, if a Retina Display app was displayed on the iPad, it should fill the area that normal double pixeled iPhone apps fill. Doubt this is the way Apple will do it though.

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #6 Cilo, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    So how close is it?

Hmm check this article on screen comparisons out, it's starting to make more sense.

7. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Actually makes a lot of sense. Retina has 4X the amount of pixels, whereas the iPad is just over 4 times bigger (screen size)
    So, if the retina capable app displayed all of the pixels, just not as dense, it should work.

I don't know the technical issues, but it just makes sense to me that it'd look better than a non retina game.

8. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    It would be extremely lazy of Apple not to display retnia optimized iPhone applications at 640x960 rather than pixel doubling the 320x480 graphics if it is possible. The concern I have with memory is that if developers assume they have an extra 256mb of memory when in Retnia mode because they assume it is an iPhone 4 and use the extra RAM then it would crash the iPad if it tried to run that version of the software. It burns me up that they did not make the iPad have 512mb.

While they are at it they can get rid of the stupid 2x button. Who the heck would try to use a tiny 320x480 screen in the middle of their iPad! Even my 3yr old knows that the first thing to do when starting an iPhone app on the iPad is to hit the 2x button. And like me, she gets annoyed when she hits the 1x button by mistake! At a minimum there should be a setting to default to 2x and have no button. Did not mean to side track but these seem like obvious things to me!

9. tonyunreal

tonyunreal Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    You really shouldn't make you app with 512MB of RAM in mind, since the 4th generation of iPod touch has a retina display and only 256MB of RAM.

10. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Great point! I can think of No good reason that retina games should not be high res on the iPad with 4.2. I don't understand why this is not being discussed more. I would think that Apple would be hyping it if it was a feature. It is big deal to me anyway...

11. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I'm currently installing the iPad 4.2 beta on my iPad...can't wait.

Anyways. The whole retina display thing shouldn't be a problem. Basically using the resolution of the new iPhone 4 apps under the iPad's ability to display higher resolution images. Would be nice if Apple enabled the iPad to run iPhone 4's resolutions...it should be possible.

Woot, just finishing updating to 4.2...finally FOLDERS!!!!

12. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Right. Got the folders thing. What do you see when you run a retnia optimized iPhone app?! :D

13. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    iLounge posted the sad answer in their article :

New in iOS 4.2: The Full Breakdown With Screenshots

:(:(:(:(

14. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Seems strange that they didn't fix that issue with iOS 4.2

15. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Yea. Just don't understand. :confused:

16. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    I was wondering about this, too

so the iPad has 132 pixels per inch display with 1024x768 pixels in size.
    the iPhone /iPod 4 has 326 pixels per inch display with 960x640 in size.

So if the iPad displays an iPhone4 Retina optimized game
    it should nearly take up most of the screen in 1x Mode (app. 94%)

If I assume that correctly.

That would in fact make the need of original iPad games _nearly_ obsolete.

17. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    thats stopid from apple, but expectable...
    I hope something in the jailbreak scene makes it possible, or apple will make it possible in newer beta's...but i dont think so.

Lets hope for the best.

18. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Yea. If it is not there in now I'm not holding my breath for it to show up later. JB may be the best hope but I suspect it is not something that can be controlled at the OS level. It would certainly give folks who are satisfied with the new backgrounding a reason to jailbreak so it would be worth while for the community to do it if possible.

What really blows my mind is that Apple is somehow getting a pass on not implementing this obvious feature. I would expect the journalists to be all over this failure!

-Greg