If people don't spend more than 99 cents per app...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, May 31, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Explain why a supposedly niche title like Warhammer is currently #2 on the game charts.

2. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    just my opinion

because there are hardcore fans of that game that will pay any price.

i knew a few guys i worked with that will wait in lines or buy $50-$60 games. later finding out there living on rice and beans or in basement of there moms house at 30 years old. i have backlog of 100's so i can wait for a price drop to play. some that are on a budget and like to save money stick to it, while other have the extra cash to spare or spend living day to day with no money i guess?

the way the market is i see $5 as five apps now or something that can go free in 1 year, otherwise wait for xmas sale if i badly want something.

just like the way Steam pc/indie bundle go... just wait and games are dirt cheap.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I don't wait for price drops. If we all waited for games to be 99c many companies wouldn't make a profit and would then give up on iPhone gaming and move on

If companies make a good profit then they'll make more and more for us

Waiting for price drops when games are a few dollars is a joke

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I guess the real teller will be how long it stays up there. The initial flood of sales would have included most of the people who were already waiting for it, but it's the more casual crowd who decide whether or not it keeps its rank.

5. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    i doubt this will ever go free (by the way...there are tons of games which have never been free) because of the Warhammer license. Though, to be honest, the only Warhammer I've heard of is 40,000K, which has had a lot of games based on it.

6. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Yeah, it was a pretty slow release day for casual fair. Not many games I can think of were released that would sell tens of thousands of copies overnight.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    People will pay for what they consider to be value, if product warrants price then the average person won't have a problem.

8. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    You charge $100 per game irrespective of production value and market interest and no one blinks an eye.

You let devs decide the price based off actual costing and the targeted demographic and everyone loses their minds.

*1st crack at the Joker meme. Sorry
    :)

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Very well said, if everybody wait for this you said or for games to become free, the AppStore would suck and collapse leaving us with FarmVille freemium kind of games, worst scenario ever IMO. Thats why I buy every game I like regardless of price on release.

10. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Also well said, in no time it will starting to fall. Almost no game stays up there for long unless its casual, and even so...

11. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Yessss but we are the minority. For all the talk of boycotting IAP fests and supporting premium the financial results speak for themselves.

I too never wait for sales and try to support good honest devs whenever possible. Who cares?

The problem is structural

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    And Apple is getting rich because of that so they will do nothing about it. And people (sorry for this next) is too stupid and are like sheep to try to fight it back, they just don't care at all. Some day, when all devs are gone they (Apple) will look into it, but then it will be too late

And yeah, Im getting more and more pissed off about this situation where good honest devs cant make a living like they used to because of IAP and sheeps. Now flame me

13. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    No flaming at all. We're on the same team. We are all pissed off. It sucks. Pretty easy to assume we all love gaming and we all hate greed. Sadly the latter is devouring the former.

However, slight movement is being made away from f2p from smaller devs lately and it's refreshing to see some premium games holding firm. The Xcom devs have said the upcoming port won't have any IAPs but will be $$$.

Things will get better but we might just have to ride this period out :(

14. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Badland (they are being featured by Apple every week, and still holding its place very good) is a good example of that.

Thanks for making me aware of the Xcom game, Im buying it now for support.

Hoping for a brighter future too :)

15. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Do you know how much the physical version of Warhammer Quest would cost you? The game is a steal at its price! Fortunately, the game transcends just board game fans and also entices strategy/tactics fans in general. But you have a point I believe, in that paid games can still be a viable market on iOS. It also helps that despite some perception, Warhammer is actually a recognized license and has a very strong and loyal fanbase in its Gamesworkshop fans and has made its money as a franchise not just in tabletop gaming but in very successful books series, films and video games.

As for the fiasco that is the pricing mentality of the AppStore:
    Personally I think if developers formed some type of guild or union and stuck to the idea of charging a proper price for their games and not to gouging each other that they could take back control of the AppStores joke of a pricing standard and eliminate a lot if the junk developers that have clogged the market and further perpetuate this mindset. Every other industry (hardware,oil, cars, manufacturing in general) has such a group except software developers it seems. Even console and PC gaming have a more reasonable understanding of pricing than the AppStore. I believe that the AppStore could get closer to. Steam-like pricing model, where games could be priced cheaper than their worth but still priced well enough to pull profit. The.99ยข mentality however, serves no one but the consumer and cost us even then in the way of getting truly qualitative games because developers are not willing to invest the money in fear of lackluster return.

I fear a day where freemium is the rule, but it seems are are already almost there. At some point the model has to collapse on itself though.

Sorry, I got ranty!

16. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    For what it's worth I think the console game publishers are killing that market with their ridiculously high prices.

iOS prices might be a bit low, but with prices like that people are actually willing to spend money Nogales they otherwise wouldn't consider. Selling twice as many copies at half the price makes exactly the same amount of money.

That said I really don't like the IAP trend that's prevailing at the moment. I will pay IAPs for unlocking games or extra levels (as I've done for Magic 2013 and Highborn and will probably do for Ace Patrol), but consumable IAPs are insanity.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You have to pay if you want quality. Console titles are expensive, but some of them still struggle to break even. We're talking tens of millions of dollars in development. I get how low prices work on the App Store, but I don't think the same applies throughout all business. Selling a console game at $10 would be a massive risk and could put a company out of business and in serious debt within months.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #18 awp69, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    I buy games I want day one unless it's something totally insane (like a few misguided IAP laden Square Enix releases). BUT I certainly don't buy everything and so I make no claim to say that I don't take advantage of $.99 or free deals but it's almost always for a game I wasn't quite sold on at release. I rarely "wait" for a sale. If it's something I want, I get it.

Like I'm not entirely sure about World War Z, but if it goes on sale, I might consider it. That said I don't get games that are crap even if they're free.

19. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Good to know! You are on the same boat too :)

And I will add that wherever I take advantage of games that go free is mainly (other reasons still apply) to see if I agree with TA users who reviewed them on threads just to know how they think and whats their taste on a game and how we differ to each other. A matter of knowing who to trust here.

20. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    • It's a ridiculously cheap price
    • It's a massive brand name
    • It's just been released
    Regarding the niche comment, any game with this many pre-existing fans elsewhere will sell hard for some time. And then in a month or two, check the charts again and your niche thing will be answered.

If every decent game sold like this for this price then the store will go back to premium only. But they don't. And they never will. And using something like this massive brand launch to try and prove otherwise is moot at best.