Tower Defense game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gsxr824, Mar 22, 2013.

1. gsxr824

gsxr824 New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Hey guys,

Just want to see what everyone's opinions are with tower defense type of games. Do you all feel that TD type of games are strictly male and play in landscape mode only? How can we create a TD game possibly appeal to female audience along with a relatively casual gameplay? :D:D

2. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Pick and properly execute some widely appealing theme. Girls don't dig swords and lasers too much. It doesn't have to be Unicorns vs. Care Bears, but animals in general or some other cute characters could do the job.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Look at Bloons TD (1 through infinity) for inspiration on a TD that appeals to males and females alike.

4. Nathan-Drake

Nathan-Drake Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Spain
    Hi!

I think the Tower Defense Games isn't the best type for female audiences, but i agree with the other opinions: with an attractive and colorful visuals (and casual gameplay) this can be different.

5. reinjooo

reinjooo New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Yeah I love this game. It really changes how I play tower defense games. This game is made by ninja kiwi and its on their 5th version. I hope they'll do another one. See some strategies here if you're having a bad time with special missions.

6. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    I wonder how a brainstorming session would go if you substituted the idea of Collection in place of Destruction in the form of a tower defense game. Something zany like a petting zoo, where each animal has to be hugged/loved a certain amount before it passes by, or else it will be sad when it has to go sleep in its cage at night. (Just throwing out whatever ideas...) Good luck reinventing this genre, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

7. abbas_basil

abbas_basil Active Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Technical Co-Founder
    Supercell did notice this early on with Clash Of Clans. I think this is why they launched Hay Day. I know for a fact that this appeals to the women of my family!

8. superhippo

superhippo Well-Known Member

We released Pirate Legends TD in August this year and the demo was around 90% male. Definitely a genre I'd stay away from if your looking for a very broad market but there are a lot of real gamers in there so you can make money.

Pirate Legends

We don't regret doing a game in that genre even though it is niche enough, Apple were pretty good to us and gave front page main banner featuring in over 100 countries. If the production values are high enough on any game and you innovate in some areas then you can unlock a lot of doors.

9. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    I agree that the destruction has to be replaced. Could also be kids or packing lunchboxes or serving coffee to clients. Good luck and tell us what you decide in the end :)

10. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    I'm kind of surprised that no one else mentioned it before, but plants vs zombies is basically a tower defence game, and that seems more aimed at women than men. Basically, a game concept does not limited gender, it is game content that starts to control the market segment.