iPad Wacoon Jump! - 2D Platformer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Toad In The Hole, Apr 16, 2012.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    At least the developer seems to be paying attention. Hopefully any control issues can be addresses via update.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #22 TheFrost, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    Game Impressions

Okay I played a while now

Controls: Remember the game Candy Boy? Controls and movement is very similar to that game, but a bit better. Also comes to mind Cheeseman and such games where your character needs a second to run at full speed or turn around on land, on air seems good. The longer you press jump the longer it jumps, always to the same height. Buttons are responsive though.

Menus/Others: No GameCenter or similars at all, just Facebook and Twitter. You can mute the music. A little touch and you are bigger room with several doors that correspond to each of the 8 levels the game has right now

Gameplay: Mario like, which isnt bad at all. Power ups like Tornado Hat which is at the very beginning. There are checkpoints and levels seems big, you have to collect purple things in order to get 3 stars on each levels. There is also some bonus levels where you can collect coins to gain lives and purple things too, so you have to seach the levels in order to get 3 stars... each world is a level and each one so far is different from each other, you can already guess that on the images...

IAP: There seems to be none. You collect money you find on the levels to spend it on a shop where you can buy lives and wallpapers. No IAP to be found here :)

3. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I'm getting it as its only 69P and it looks the biz, but I hope to god that music in the trailer is not within the game.

4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Just in the menu screen.

5. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Game looks good, but the control issues mentioned here are keeping me from trying this one. Also why no Game Center? Should be standard by now I would think...

6. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Tried the game for a bit, the controls feel a little floaty. While that is something that reminds me of Mario those games felt sharper. Im only played the first three worlds but im guessing that if the difficulty spike is high then the controls might be a tad imprecise.

Having said that I think that with a little tweaking to the controls, maybe using arrows instead of the d-pad this game could be truly great, and even without them im sure I'll manage because theyre not that bad, just feel imprecise sometimes. The visuals and animation are top notch and im diggin the mario-esque theme, nice buy!

7. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    This game has serious potential but the controls need a major overhaul.:(

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I'm really not having much of an issue with the controls -- it's just a tough platformer. I'm not usually a fan of inertia (Mario style), but here's it's beautifully implemented. In fact, pretty much the whole game is beautiful: it has that level of detail that you expect from a Nintendo game, all delivered at a buttery smooth 60 FPS. It may not be retina, but it looks really good on a 4S screen.

My only real complaint about the controls is that the special power button is a bit too close to the middle of the screen -- I would prefer for it to be closer t the jump button (or better yet, customizable).

9. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Control take a bit to get used to, a little floaty and the physics are an adjustment but I will say it is consistent and once you get the hang of it, the extra effort is worth it. Beautiful large levels with lots of hidden stuff to find and explore. The graphics alone are eye candy. I would love to see a floating joystick or a traditional d-pad but the one provided is functional and that's my only gripe. The controls are not the tightest around but not bad either and the game is so much of a visual joyride that your dollar is not going to waste. I say give it a chance, definitely recommended at this price with the updates promised. A lot of fun!

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Don't confuse controls with inertia. The inertia is "floaty." The controls affect the degree of success with which your intentions translate into the character's movements. Floaty controls would mean noticeable lag between when you issue a command and when your character follows it, and that isn't the case here; the problem in this case is the ease and consistency of hitting the required direction on the d-pad, and an action button that's inexplicably placed almost in the centre of the screen.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Considering how much I was looking forward to this, the controls and lack of retina are disappointing. Like others said, there's so much potential here, but it needs a little bit of work.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Agreed. As I mentioned earlier, I have no real problem with the d-pad, but the action button is in an uncomfortable place, which makes it difficult to achieve some of the very cool special moves. For me all it needs is a tweak, not an overhaul.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I only really have a problem with the d-pad for vertical movement. Try doing a slide while running for example (press down.) If you can do it consistently 4 times out of 5, you're doing better than me. 5 out of 5 should be a cinch with good controls. Now imagine doing it when under severe pressure in later levels.

I do agree not a lot is required for a fix, but by the same token not an inordinate amount of common sense was required to place the action button elsewhere in the first place, so I don't really know.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Yep it amazes me when theres some ridiculous errors of button placement etc, didnt anyone who beta tested this mention it to them ?

Saying that as other people have said it wont need much of a tweaking to become a really good game. Graphically it looks great, the controls are a bit bizarre specially for anyone with fingers bigger than a 3 year old.

Played the first world and did enjoy it i admit but could be better if the controls/buttons were improved. Good start though and for 69p its great value, just needs a tweak !

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #35 TheFrost, Apr 17, 2012
    Yes its a great start, 1.0 needs controls tweaking: the way he initially moves and the floatability too.... just look at League of Evil 2 for inspiration, control-wise is perfect.

And now on to the good side as this is a lot of fun... digging all the power ups

EDIT: So what is PlayFripp thinking about all this?

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With all the complaints about the controls, I was expecting the worst. They're pretty floaty, but far from being gamebreaking and I've still found the game quite enjoyable.

Sure, they could use some tweaking, but overall this is the kind of Mario-esque game that iOS needs. Sure, there's a few others that try, but few have succeeded. Really liking the level design, power-ups and graphical style.

With there being so many micro-platformers like LoE and the like, the more longer-level format 2D platformers, the better.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Level 1-5 has been kicking my ass, but I can honestly say that it's all do to 1) the Mario-style inertia, and 2) my own damn greed. None of my deaths have really been control related. This is one of the more hardcore 2D platformers in the App Store, and even though the controls could be improved, the game is very much a ridiculous bargain at the current price.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Gotta agree about the control placement, and size of the d-pad. Especially in 2x mode on the iPad. Also the inertia. It feels like you're running around a Mario ice world.

But as others have also said, the graphics, level design, enemies, power-ups, everything else is top notch. My wife's really enjoying it, and I'm sure my kids will as well once they get home from school.

I'll keep playing with the hopes that the controls and movement will grow on me... But for a buck, gotta agree with Gabrien; it's worth checking out for yourself.

Sorry I can't add anything new to the conversation... It's all pretty much been covered.

19. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #39 retr0spective, Apr 17, 2012
    Greetings,

I started playing Wawa eagerly last night. Something that has not yet been mentioned is the graphics and animation - it is gorgeous! There is a remarkable attention to detail and aesthetics. I felt the same way about the inertia at first (not the controls themselves which work fine for me) but then I remembered that this element was deliberate and adds a certain idiosyncrasy to the character not unlike Yoshi in Yoshi's Island or Luigi in Super Mario Brother's 2. I Think that Yann was really successful in the implementation of fun powerups, something that is lacking in many recent platformers. The diversity of the level design is also excellent which prevents the game from becoming repetitive. This really is a hardcore platformer wrapped in a cutesy package.

Concerning the D-Pad Yann mentioned that a customizable D-Pad would be included in a future update:

http://bit.ly/Iutb1u

20. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    A lot of potential!
    Lower inertia (it is Mario on ice) + have a normal d-pad and fix button loactions + add extra heart (or an easy mode) = WIN!