Which Genre to choose?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by trex08, May 18, 2010.

1. trex08

trex08 Active Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Hey folks,

I do not know if this question has been asked before (did scroll the forum could not find the thread).
    Here goes, we(we means two of us :)) are coming out with our next game very soon (its in final beta) and we are thinking of our next game. We have already created two sports based game and we are thinking of what next?

We have a limited budget but, the questions really clouding our mind is should we go for a game for iphone (using iphone features such as accelerometer) or should we go for a generic game with controls designed so that we can easily port to other platforms with minimal effort. The answer sounds obvious but it isn't we do not want to be in a situation where we have games on 3-4 platforms but none hits. Also which genre should one choose (this is a subjective question but is there any data which says which kind of games are more likely to succeed)

Cheers
    Trex

2. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

My advice, which you probably have read quite a few times if you've researched your question at all, is to make a game you like. Trying to make "what the market wants" rarely leads to success, at least for indie developers.

As for your cross-platform concerns, I'd try to create a great experience for the iPhone, and not a generic one. I don't know what kind of experience you have developing for other platforms, but unless you plan very carefully and use cross-platform frameworks (which are in shaky ground at the moment with the new OS 4.0 clauses), there's far more than "minimal effort" involved...

3. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    There are basically 2 ways to succeed in the app store.
    1. Create an original idea that is fun and addictive, and market it well.
    2. Create a well polished game with lots of content.
    ArtCoder above, who created Silent Swords, had an original idea with kind of a lot of content. His other app Crunchy Planets is more along the line of No.1