iPhone Dual Stick shooters

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RaptorF35, Mar 24, 2010.

1. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Dual stick shooters that I know are coming to ipad are:

Pirate's gold
    Abstract War

That's all I know of...any others?

I'd like to see:

Meteor Blitz HD(oh yeah!)
    Minigore(maybe this is why they've held the update back??)
    Guerrilla Bob..(same as minigore? Update is taking a while)

Feel free to add :)

2. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I'm still trying to figure out how they would work on ipad. Also when did they say Pirates Gold was going to ipad?

3. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
  4. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Checkout Coverfire iPad. Technically it's dual pad (think "Robotron"), but it's the same core idea. :)

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008

It's a little over a pound, so I guess we'll just have to see how light it is and whether it'll be strain on our thumbs :p Those screenshots seem a little off, though. The thumb pads shouldn't take up that much real estate. It looks like an iPhone game.

6. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    The sooner we can accept that the iPad is not the iPhone and that the screen size really does make a big difference to the way a lot of games will handle, the better.

Dual stick shooters as we know them really aren't suited to the iPad. Sure, it will work, and people will release them, but they won't suit the iPad as much as they do the iPhone and iPod Touch.

I really really hope both developers and gamers start to think about other genres, perhaps genres that don't work quite as well on the iPhone, that suit the iPad perfectly.

It'd be very disappointing if we see tons of dual stick shooters and FPSs for the iPad when their is so much more opportunity in RTSs, RPGs, dungeon crawlers, simulations and city builders etc. - genres which don't particularly suit the iPhone's small screen.

7. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Coverfire is designed and built from the ground up to be an iPad game. The controls are intentionally large to support good thumb movement. In my experience, the touchscreen does best when the user is allowed a large amount of play on the controls. (This is a nod to the fact that there are no button edges to provide tactile feedback.)

Having good play on the controls is the difference between Soosiz and Galaga. The former has absolutely perfect controls while the latter has had nothing but complaints. Yet technically they're the exact same control scheme.

It's also important to note that the game provides both portrait and landscape modes. The two modes are intentionally different to give players options on how best to hold the device. I'm sure many players will choose landscape to help negate the weight effects. ;)

Does that help at all? :)