"Angry Birds"- Lost its position from No. 1 Paid game! Whats the reasons may have?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Santillo, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Santillo

Santillo Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    The best iPhone paid game "Angry Birds" which dominates the appstore for a long while by holding no. 1 paid game position. No other game can hold this position for such long period of time. I think it will take place in World Guinness Book record as the best iPhone paid game for all time.

But Recently it is seen that its lost its No. 1 paid game position after a long period of time in USA appstore.

My point of view of this thread is -"Whats the reasons may have behind this situation that 'Angry Birds" have Lost its No. 1 position?"

Thank you very much for your comment.:)

2. jandujar

jandujar Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Because everybody played this game?

3. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's a year and a half old. Given how many versions and other os'es it's available on, it was only a matter of time.

4. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

The deal that Rovio made with the devil has now expired :p

5. best

best Well-Known Member

All the new great games coming out simple as that

6. Santillo

May 3, 2011
    Yes May be it happened! But I think that there are some thread for Angry Birds as well as rovio.:)

7. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I think you're celebrating a little too soon!

8. Santillo

May 3, 2011
    ha ha ha

That is a great joke.:)

9. jpang

jpang Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    it'll be back in #1 in a few days :D

10. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Actually, it has been going off #1 for a while now...

11. SimonTag

SimonTag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland
    I am just curious as to how they are going to get it back up there at #1/what new title they (must?) have in the bag!

12. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Cut the rope has over 25 million downloads, it's pretty simple to figure out why the sequel landed on the no.1 position!And it will stay there for a while , until Rovio renews the deal with the devil:)

13. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    AB has slipped from it's peak position several times before. It's sure to happen again - but it always returns. This is part of the phenomenon. Here's what some people may not realize: Angry Birds has become the poster-child for mobile gaming across platforms, pretty much the "Mario" of it's day. The two are synonymous. You still have soooo many people purchasing iOS devices for the first time every day (probably less than 100,000 worldwide, but that might be close) and, though only a percentage of those new buyers will log onto the App Store and actually purchase something, that percentage is high enough that they will grab the thing which is the most-talked about (and reinforced by the ultimate visibility as the chart-topper). It's the ultimate stickiness.

So what we have here is a pretty solid, repeating situation which will cycle for some time (another year?) As the game has taken over Android as well, it only strengthens the brand power and the massive word-of-mouth (the potency of which really must trump everything else at this point).

This is the same reason why other high-placing games (Tiny Wings, Fruit Ninja) have maintained such unbelievable chart dominance for so long, and why they will not be exiting any time soon.

As for "what knocks something off the number 1 spot?" There's a myriad of reasons. Something else can charge up the charts like a bull with ease if it has "the right formula" to power it, but of course this often involves a good deal of money and marketing (the old standbys). Once in awhile something will pop up there as a fluke, and if it sticks around for awhile then it's even larger of a fluke - but really apps that don't match the proper "formula profile" (ultimately, casual mass-market accessibility really, plus some depth) won't maintain a high position for very long.

14. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    It still hovers around the top 5, got a level of consistency most people can only dream of. Everyone that buys an iphone downloads it first day. Simple as. :cool:

15. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Hahahahahahahahah!!!!

16. IndieApp

IndieApp Member

Jul 11, 2011
    London
    I thought Angry Birds was still published by EA?

17. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    ordinary fluctuation.. there is always some titles who rush to the top charts only to dwindle down very fast.. only a very few titles keep their positions for ages in the charts.. so the bestseller are always surrounded by a few newcomers here and there but usualy not too long..
    the same happens if publisher do their mega sales and drop huge amounts of titles to tier1.. that also pushes down the oldies.. for short

so thoose are just ordinary fluctuations.. don't worry , they will be back up soon.. you can always help out with a purchase or two.. or gift it around..

18. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Most purchased =/= best. Not by a long shot.

19. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Yeah. Pretty sure almost everyone has it, hahaha. If you can go out and buy a stuffed animal in a short time, you know a lot of people have it.

20. bouglibougla

bouglibougla Member

Jul 14, 2011
    got the lite version and 5mn i deleted it.
    Would rather ask: why Angry Bird has sold so much :)
    that was my 2 cents answer (dont throw birds in my face please :)