Nameless: the Hackers by BoxCat

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SteveAtBoxcat, Mar 8, 2013.

1. SteveAtBoxcat

SteveAtBoxcat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Los Angeles
    #1 SteveAtBoxcat, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    Hello Touch Arcade!

My name is Steve and I'd like to present our first indie game release, Nameless: the Hackers.

[​IMG]

You may have seen our giveaways (located in the giveaway forum! http://box.cat) but if not, please let me show you what we've been working on for the past 10 months...

[​IMG]

Nameless: the Hackers is a hard game to describe entirely. It is an RPG but does not follow exact RPG elements. We looked back and thought how we could design an RPG made specifically for the smart phone. Something that you could play easily while waiting in line at the supermarket or while you were jogging at the gym.

It is a full fledged hard-core rpg that is bite sized. What does this mean? The game can be played for long stretches of time, or you can play it for a minute or two. All of these are possible without losing your pace or being punished for it.

About the Game
    [​IMG]

Nameless: the Hackers is a mix between several genres. We have RPG style gameplay mixed with visual novel cutscenes (heavily influenced by Phoenix Wright and the Tales series).

The gameplay entails the following: You go through the story line and find out what your objective is. The objective is laid out on a world map. You have to beat the objective to progress through the story. But the objective is not that simple. You will have to do random missions laid around the map, or go into towns and seek out new information.

Information is given as an "Infocard". By collecting information, you gain stat points which will help you become stronger. Also, there are skills which you can upgrade, and you can upgrade as many as you'd like, or as little. The skills all have a unique purpose which can be used in multiple battle scenarios.

[​IMG]

The battle system is a bit unique. It borrows from the traditional turn based battle system, but with a twist. You can choose one move from any of the characters you control. The enemy also chooses a move. Then the moves play out at the same time. Some moves will have different results depending on the move that the enemy has done. For example...

If you were to attack with KILL9 (A move that acts as a counterspell), the enemy's attack may be canceled. Alternatively, if the enemy casts "disconnect" and successfully disconnects the player you have chosen, your move will be canceled.

You can also lay viruses into the enemy which deal damage, and then cast another skill that causes them to explode instantaneously. Or the enemy can cast virus on you and you can wipe them away with data recovery.

There's actually a little bit of strategy involved including elemental damage which are effected by protection walls that can be casted and other stuff I'll leave for you to find out.

[​IMG]

For the towns and cutscenes, you are able to make dialogue decisions that will give a different conversation. The main story doesn't really change, but sometimes you'll find out more about the lore that you may not have if you had chosen a different story.

Anyway, there's a TON of other little systems in this game that form Nameless: the Hackers.

A few things: we will provide free content updates occasionally (depending on how well the game does) and always try to fix all and every bug. This will not be some kind of abandonware.

And we currently have no IAP. We are planning some in the future, but I guess we'll just wait and see what people really want and get some feedback first. So have no fear, you'll be able to beat the game without having to spend any more money than the initial purchase (EVER).

There are also 30 songs that I wrote in the game, custom artwork, and tons of dialogue to explore.

ALSO
    I'm giving away about 50 copies in our giveaway thread. Or you can just enter here at http://box.cat

Enjoy!!! And I hope you will find the time to take a look at our game. BoxCat is made up of a few guys who quit their day jobs to make passionate games.

Our indieDB page is here: http://gdc.box.cat

If anyone's going to GDC, feel free to drop by our little kiosk at K21.

If you have any questions at all, please message me or you can post here. I would love to hear from you!

RELEASE DATE: March 18, 2013 Worldwide on the iOS

Sincerely,

Steve
    BoxCat

(Wrote this on a whim, excuse my crappy writing style)

2. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    It looks really interesting and relevant to my interest...a shame that there is no support for iPad resolution/interface.

3. SteveAtBoxcat

SteveAtBoxcat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Perhaps in the future... never know.

And thanks!

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I've had a chance to put sink some time into this (I recieved an advance copy) and let me just say this is probably THE MOST ADDICTING ios game I've played since Punch Quest. It reminds me of Phantasy Star meets Uplink meets a Roguelike.

Let me put it this way...I bought Dungeon Plunder the day before I got my copy of Nameless, and quit playing Dungeon Plunder immediately after starting this game. This is a freaking rad game and I'll be DAMNED if it goes overlooked.

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    ...and don't let the boobs fool you, this is not a game for immature audiences. It isn't a silly Hentai game. well, I'm going back to play some more :)

6. JamesAtBoxCat

JamesAtBoxCat Active Member

Dec 6, 2012
    We hope you'll enjoy our game!

We'll be doing a sale too!

Psst! It'll be 18th somewhere in the world!

7. lyace21

lyace21 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Cant wait for the 18th! >.<

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You guys are going to LOVE this. Greyskull's right...this is just something else. Can't recommend it enough and highly suggest you get it when it launches on sale. That's all I'll say for now. ;)

9. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    I just wish I could play it in full retina glory on my iPad.. X2. Doesn't do a game justice... Crossing my fingers for a quick universal update!