Football Heroes - (Run Games LLC)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MMarzola, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMarzola

MMarzola Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    What iPhone5 features would you like to see in Football Heroes?

2. dannnboy

dannnboy New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Hey this game looks pretty tight!

I'm not a huge football fan but the RPGer inside of me says must play.
    How much football knowledge would you say I'd need to know to comfortably play this game?

Who knows maybe I'll learn something and end up enjoying the real thing, though I may get some confused looks as I'm yelling OIL SLICK OIL SLICK at the tv.

3. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Defense and Customization

This game looks awesome! If you guys nail the "feel" of the game with responsive controls and fast animations, this game should be a hit. If you nail the the RPG elements and team customization, this game will be legendary!

That said, the gameplay videos I've seen are light on defense. Are there any defensive perks and special moves? Can a dominant defense shut down a good offense? Or is the gameplay skewed in favor of the offense? Will there be more tackling animations beyond the basic dive shown in the videos? I'm asking these questions, generally, because so many football games overlook defense and make it impossible to consistently stop the offense. But more specifically, I want to build a powerhouse defensive team and I'm wondering if Football Heroes will let me do that.

Regarding Customization, will I also be able to change the appearance of my team's gloves and shoes? Seems like a little thing but I want to make my team as unique as possible. Please don't hold back on customization! Go crazy with it and it'll pay off :)

4. Idiomatic

Idiomatic Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Big fan of Tecmo as a kid. Looks great! Are you guys doing more of an elemental thing with power ups? Cuz I see "fire bomb" as one of the moves. Is there gonna be an "ice bomb"?

Here's what I want:

- Voice chat or, at the very least, keyboard chat during game
    - RPG elemental spells (fire, water, ice), that way you get a paper-rock-sissors thing going on
    - Full screen spells (everyone gets damaged)

Obviously, I'm thinking more RPG here. But it's fun to throw it out there.

5. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    HAHAHA! Thanks a lot, we set out to make a game that appeals to people who are not fans of Football games or Football in general, hope there are a lot people like yourself out there.

Having a basic knowledge of Football should sufficient for example: You have 4 tries to gain 10 yards or you turn the ball over, or that you alternate between playing Offense and Defense. And if you dont have any knowledge about Football at all, maybe we can provide an opt in tutorial on the Main Menu to get you going and explain the basic rules :)

6. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Thanks! We are really excited about Football Heroes and we can't wait until you get to play it so you can feel for yourself how tight the controls are. We spent a lot of time on the controls!

As far as defense is concerned we have just as many Defensive Perks but people tend to not be as excited about Defensive Play (but it sounds like you and I are) so we focused on Offensive perks first for the trailer. Don't worry, you'll be able to build the ultimate Defensive powerhouse team and shut down your opponents and sack the crap out of the Quarterback :)

If you want to play Football Heroes please head over to the Kickstarter page and check out the cool rewards and help us finish the game and help make the game better. Thanks

7. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    #27 MMarzola, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    These are great ideas and the game team has definitely talked about and explored some of these RPG elements. We will keep you update about countering possibilities as we announce more Perks throughout development.

Full screen spells SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!

- Voice Chat / Keyboard chat is a super cool feature that we want to get to. Not sure if it is going to be there at game launch but we would love to implement this.

8. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Backed

Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear! I've backed Football Heroes on Kickstarter. I'm looking forward to working with you to create my own team, which will be "seen by millions" ;) I've got my Team's city, name, colors, and offensive and defensive strengths and weaknesses all worked out. Can't wait until the first beta!

On a related note, will your beta be restricted to iOS? Or will you also beta test on Android as well? I'd like to volunteer to be an Android beta tester if possible (I use a Galaxy Nexus, and will likely purchase the new Nexus this fall). I do have a new iPad, however, in the event that beta testing is iOS-only. Either way, I'm going to give you my best efforts to help you refine Football Heroes into a diamond!

9. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Yes, the iOs Beta will happen first and the Android Beta version will be available later in development.

10. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds good. Sign me up for both iOS and Android betas :) I'm grateful that you're making this game. I've literally dreamed about an updated Tecmo Bowl-styled game like this for years! I really think you have a potential hit on your hands...

When will your forums be going live?

11. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    The Football Heroes forums are going up on October 10th when the Kickstarter is over.

Although we have an announcement about a cool new community feature so make sure to check back tomorrow. I think you are going to dig this :)

12. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Run Games Live!

We are incredibly proud to announce a new feature to our Kickstarter campaign Run Games Live! This will allow you to interact with us directly in real-time! Steam live video from our desktops, see how we make games, make comments and contribute ideas. We will be posting a schedule this week to make sure you know when things are happening such as: meetings, brainstorm sessions, Q&A sessions, etc. And I am sure this channel will get incredibly exciting when our Kickstarter comes to a close on October 10th 11:59 PST!

Please join us and let us know if you have any ideas on how we can make Run Games Live! the best that it can be.

http://run-games.com/#live
    [​IMG]

13. 3parkbenchhydra

3parkbenchhydra Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    This is sooooooooooooooooo SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

14. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    *Nervous Laughter* I am not sure if you liked or not, but I am interest :)

15. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Looks fun as ever....this may be my next online multi addiction, nothing beats kicking your friends azz in techno bowl redone with rpg elements and punching!

16. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Its awesome online, but Football Heroes is even better sitting next to one of your friends punching the snot out of them!

17. astropad

astropad Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Lol, I watched the stream

Pretty interesting. Lol Lots of comments were when that girl walked in O_O

18. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Game Development + Random Appearnces of human Females = Run Games Live! :)

Keep coming back we are just getting started.

http://run-games.com/#live

19. dannnboy

dannnboy New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Yes! A tutorial sounds like a good idea, for us football noobs out there.

Another question while I'm here, I'm a D&D'r and crunching numbers, comparing stats and having complete control over my characters gets my rocks off. You said when my team members level they get stats like health, running faster etc, I was wondering, do you get to control these stats?

20. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    You will be able to control these stats by picking which perks to unlock in the Skill Tree. An example of this is you will have an option between a perk that increases your player's health or a perk that will increase the damage your player deals when they punch. Both are valid tactics but its up to you to determine what is more important to you. Do you equally distribute points or do you Min/Max one over the other? Its up to you