Worth continuing making game updates?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, Aug 2, 2010.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

my first game 'Vector Rally' gone into oblivion after few months and now selling 0-2 copies a day.

I had big updates planed like adding tournament mode, track editor, but because of poor sales I haven't done anything.

Do you think it's worth putting extra effort and add these features perhaps together with lite version? Can this potentially revive my game?

Or better forget it and move on?

2. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

My gut reaction is to say probably not. However if you can balance a concerted marketing campaign to run alongside your planned additions then perhaps you can pick some additional sales. The marketing and update needs to be well timed though and hit the right areas to maximise its potential. Whether those additional sales make up for the time taken to make your updates and make time (or indeed pay) for marketing is another thing. A call only you can make really.

If anything, you have a sale from me today! I've worked on over 20 racing titles over the years and designed many racetracks so this really ticks all my boxes. Look forward to playing it.

3. My gut feeling would the same as TheTinMan.

But it really boils down to how much work you are willing to put into the game and the marketing. If you believe in your game enough try doing a smaller update, see how many users update it (that gives you a indication of the users you have right now, if no one updates it, there is no one currently out there who talk about your game) and use the 50 new promocodes for a little PR push and maybe give freeappaday a try?

Don't be afraid to try out different strategies, it will help you alot when you move on to future projects.

4. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I really think you should move onto another game. Unless it didn't make enough money as it took to make it. But I'm sure you had a big amount of sales when featured in News & Noteworthy section...

Anyway, I say create a new game.

5. bcarbone

bcarbone Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    iPhone Developer
    Estero, FL
    Hey there don't give up on it yet. Making other games is good but you have a perfectly good game sitting there. I say release a lite version. I was in the same position as you with my game Police Chase, but then I released a lite version and that really helped. You have nothing to lose releasing a lite version, right? so why not.

6. dijster

dijster New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    IT Manager
    Sheffield, UK
    Maybe make a sequel and include all those things in it.
    It sounds like a major update

7. Jack Shiels

Jack Shiels Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    You could always release an iAd supported free version alongside it. Our game Sick of Santa currently also makes about 0-2 a day, but when free 3000+ :O

We are going to be releasing a free iAd version - I'll let you know how it goes.:)

8. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Definitely release a free or lite version before you abandon the game, at the least. Take it one step at a time... start with the least amount of work with the biggest potential payoff, and that is typically making a lite version which is generally the only thing that will have a direct impact in your sales.

There's another game which just recently had massive success with a free version: "Hungry Shark." Definitely keep your eye out on the AppAnnie charts to see which games are making huge leaps and bounds and try to find out how and why. For that particular game, they just released a new update (a bunch more levels or something), and released a free version with just the original levels. In 3 days the new version of Hungry Shark is now ranked in the top 10 after holding steady at only the ~800-1000 rank overall :eek:

9. DevL

DevL Active Member

Even though it's an update do consider if the new content will be good enough to create positive word of mouth from your existing users. Word of mouth can have a great impact on sales - even a short spike can move you back up into the charts gaining exposure to those who've not heard of it. Some websites (including TA) re-feature apps with good updates too so that's free re-exposure.

If you do the updates would they be free or delivered as an IAP? If you're looking to do a track editor and offer a way of users' sharing their creations with others I guess you'd be looking at a lot more server side development so the feature could be worth charging extra for.

Always nice to bundle something for free to an update to increase it's life - the tournament mode might do that. Not that you have to add it for free, it could be used to make the IAP better value, but it all depends on how big the user base is and how you present it to them.

The lite version will help regardless so long as you get the balance right so they're enticed to buy the full version.

I'd say at least do the lite version. Then if you've had enough of it move on and expand your portfolio...

10. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thanks everyone so much for your suggestions!

I'm seriously started thinking about releasing all those updates as a separate game, because the way I want to do it now will be very different from existing version ( will also target iPad this time).

I guess as some of you suggested I can still update current game a little, also release lite version. This way I can later cross promoted my two games.

11. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    putting my two cents in (even though you seem to have made up your mind)

things are very different than they were even 6 months ago, even considering your game which has already been featured. You really need to maximize your marketing effort during any phase of a game's life (the sooner the better, obviously) and really these days it will come down to how much money you are willing to spend, and how aggressive/savvy you are about targeting people to help you spread the word.

For your app I'd say doing an iPad version will definitely help, a Lite as well, but only if you support them as mentioned above.

I'd consider the best thing to do is make a whole completely new game and link to "more games" from inside that app, and try to upsell Vector Rally from there. That's still never a guarantee of anything, of course.

Good luck!

12. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks mate! Haven't decided 100% yet, but leaning towards new game as well, at least this way I can get more visibility, where big updates probably would go unnoticed.

13. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I just want to see a vector-style remakes of old arcade games. Vector Pacman. Vector Galaga. The mind races :)

14. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    just checked it out it looks like that game reached it's potential

it looks like a complete game so if I were you i'd either try doing a marketing push or spend the time working on something new.

15. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Please release an iPad version of Vector Rally! :D

16. DavidHolliss

DavidHolliss Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    London, UK
    I was a buyer on the day of release, thoroughly enjoyable game I still fire up now and again. Shame it's dropped in to oblivion in a few short months but I suppose that's the market we live in nowadays :(

Would you be willing to share any info eJayStudios about how well it sold overall etc etc.

Cheers.

17. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    I'm thinking about it, but only problem is, if it sold poorly on iPhone, what can I expect on iPad?

No secret here mate, sold over 1000 copies, majority while it was featured,
    now selling between 0-2 copies a day.

I can't blame market alone, I could of done so much more with this game.

But as I mentioned before, this was my first game ever developed, so I have a lot to learn how to make polished and enjoyable games.

Maybe Vector Rally 2 will be the game I wanted to create in the first place :)

18. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    #18 ghostdogstudio, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    Completely depends on your business strategy. My decisions would be based on if I'm trying to build an IP or if I'm trying to make one-off hit. For building an IP? Update same app and find ways to market it. Swinging for the fences? Make as many as different apps as possible. Never to late to change strategies as well. But definitely decide what strategy you are going to take and go all in. A hybrid approach is an exercise in frustration.

It may not be completely applicable to indie development (although I would argue with you ;P), the vast majority of worth in the games industry comes from IP ownership. It's always been the dirty trick publishers traditional pull over new developers. "Sure, we'll publish your game. We retain all rights to the IP (even though you created it)." It got to the point where publishers wouldn't even consider working with you unless they retained ownership. Check out these recent comments by THQ-head concerning some former coworkers of mine and note what he values:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/thq-talked-to-west-and-zampella

19. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    #19 99c_gamer, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    Your gameplay concept looks pretty fresh I think it would be worth putting out a sequel.

As someone who hasn't bought it yet I'd probably be more willing to buy it as a full blown sequel than if you just added some new features.
    A once over on the graphics would really lift it to the next level.

20. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    The flip side of this is that creating an IP and selling it to the publisher might be the only way of getting your game made, or at least getting the up front money you need to survive during development and the commitment from them to actually spend money on marketing. It's all very well to talk about retaining the IP but why would a publisher spend money generating awareness of a franchise they don't own?

It's also worth remembering that the chances are actually quite slim that
    the IP will be worth anything at all beyond the release of the first game. In all probability you'd be fighting for the rights to something that will be worth nothing going forward and getting less money and publisher commitment for your trouble.

It's entirely possible to hand over the IP but retain the rights (in some sort of first and last right of refusal clause) to develop any ports or sequels or at least retain a percentage based royalty.

Sure, your game could be a huge hit and you'd be kicking yourself if all you got at sequel time was the chance to do it all again with more resources or pick up a royalty while some other team did the work, but believe me, that's a nice problem to have.

I would however try to negotiate so that if the publisher pulls out for any reason (other than the dev not delivering) the IP rights revert to the developer.