Steal My Game Idea!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ElBueno, Oct 20, 2010.

1. ElBueno

ElBueno Member

May 13, 2010
    Game developer
    Philadelphia
    Hey everybody. Ray Merkler here, long time lurker, first time poster. Founder, proprietor, and official Only Guy Who Works Here of Hindrances to Progress, a game studio like no other, for you see, I'm the only person in it and I work on my games in my spare time to grow my business when I'm not at my day job! How novel!

I've been working on my first game for a few months now, and I recently decided to try a little experiment. I just replaced my "company"'s placeholder page with a blog a couple weeks ago, and on that blog (www.hindrances.com), I'm going to talk about absolutely everything that goes on over the development of my game, with as much transparency as possible. Will it be fun to watch every detail of the game dev goings-on of someone who's never actually f inished a game before? I think YES, because I have the optimism!

This week in particular, as a kind of long-winded opinion piece, I'm taking on the issue of fledgling game devs who refuse to talk about their projects or ask people to sign ridiculous NDAs for fear of having their ideas stolen. To show that they're worried about nothing, I'm posting detailed descriptions of all of my favorite game ideas that are in my queue for future development, and issuing the challenge: "Steal my game idea. Go on. Bother to do so."

That's just this week, though. There's more in store. I'll be putting myself completely out there, talking about everything that's going right or wrong, where my weaknesses are, how I'm getting around them, what's getting done, what's not. If nothing else, popular culture has proven weak to narcissism, so at least I've got that working for me. :D

The Steal My Game Idea series will be collected together here: http://www.hindrances.com/category/steal-my-game-idea/
    And the whole blog itself can be found here: http://www.hindrances.com/

Plug plug plug, whore whore whore. Hope some of you will check it out!

2. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    can I steal your "steal my game idea" idea?

3. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Our own game queue is already too long to worry about stealing other people's stuff :eek:

4. ElBueno

ElBueno Member

May 13, 2010
    Game developer
    Philadelphia
    My point exactly! :p

5. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    In my experience, people who try and steal ideas are too lazy to actually see the ideas through to the end.

That being said, I applaud your bravery it takes some guts to do that which I still don't have. I'll be reading your blog!

6. ElBueno

ElBueno Member

May 13, 2010
    Game developer
    Philadelphia
    Thanks, BravadoWaffle!

7. ElBueno

ElBueno Member

May 13, 2010
    Game developer
    Philadelphia
  8. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Interesting. I'll also be following the blog.

9. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    as much as I laugh at the idea I'm still reluctant to post my own game ideas.

Because I happen to think my ideas are pretty good and you just know there are people lurking waiting to steal something.

In the spirit I'll post one of my lesser ideas:

How about somebody make a doodle jump style game where you're in a helicopter flying up.

10. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Yeah, I have a head full of thoughts that I am apprehensive about putting out there as well. In my experience, other people have actually had the same ideas as me to whatever degree (and to large, or not, coincidence).

I do agree, for the most part (and depending on one's level of profile) the danger of doing so is relative. Also, so many of us have ideas that never come anywhere near fruition anyway.

Interesting idea though, and I admire your bravado! You really do need to make some kind of bold statement these days to register on the radar (although lately, it's looking more and more like it needs to be of the "standing naked on top of a bus" variety)

11. ElBueno

ElBueno Member

May 13, 2010
    Game developer
    Philadelphia
    I am so making a game about that.

I'll call it It's Not Normally So-- Gah, Look, It's Cold Up Here, All Right?

12. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    this is a lesser idea? lol.. this is sad.. and sad is that something like that is what most people try to "hide".. their geniuos idea.. lets make game x .. just in pink!

13. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I'll steal my own idea right back from you, and call the game "Shrinkage"

"...with Friends"

14. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    you clearly don't follow the trends of the appstore :)
    it's not about what is "interesting" and novel, it's about reskinning the hell out of what works. For crying out loud, Doodle BOAT is featured on New and Noteworthy. Have you any idea how much that makes me want to strangle &*%$*%^&*%^#

15. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    what has the one thing todo with the other?

do you know what it means to be featured? it means someone of the review team liked the game and put it into consideration to be featured.. then someone else liked it too and then it landed there..

this is purely a matter of personal taste of the reviewer, so i can't see anything wrong about it.

i just checked the free version and its ok.. it it not a rushed product from a 12 year old.. the idea might be boring for you (for me too) but the execution is ok.. i can see that someone who likes doodle games in the apple staff would pick such a game.

what you don't get is that your game 180 is crap, no one care about it, get over it make then next one. i've read alot of your post on this board and it always returns to the same thing, failure of 180.

what you did good is the hole marketing.. i would love to have such an guy like you on my team. but! the game you developed is not good.. its generic crap in the mass of match3 games.. yes sounds harsh.. but thats the fact.

being featured is not a sign for the next angry birds, its a sign that someone at apple liked the game.. not more not less.

its the same with the approval process.. your judge is an individual with individual look on how to interpret the rules.. nearly identical products can go through and be approved or not..

so get over yourself and start your next game.

thinking your game is good gives you exactly one biased fan, nothing more.

and i know that no one knows how the appstore ticks.. not a single person on earth, else he would fill up the top100 with his products alone.

and the stellar success of cut the rope shows it clearly that interesting and novel can actualy work out..

@ray: i like your blog, but i don't like ure ideas.. but thats good, else i would steal them.. maybee..

16. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    alright mr. ugly - 1st thing, I have no beef with doodle boat itself as it is fine for what it is, the game presents nicely (it's the principle that irks me, and I am not talking the principle of that particular game!)

2nd, thank you for the kind things you've said about my marketing skills, such as they are (and for apparently taking the time to read through some of what I have written)

and third, regarding my game, much as I'd love to concentrate on it in every thread possible on this forum (see, there's another marketing tactic :p) I'll ask you to either PM me about (I'll send you one right now) it or bring it up in the 180 thread for the sake of not derailing this particular thread.

17. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

i'm not derailing anything.. we talk about ideas.. game ideas.. some work some don't but usualy just the idea is worth nothing, because the execution is the important part.

at the end of the day one can steal someone idea also AFTER! it is a finished product.. some of thoose "copies" are among the most popular games on the app store. angry bird is a copy of crush the castle, and doodle jump is a copy from papi jump..

so what? ideas mean nothing.. its their execution.. both angry bird and doole jump did a lot better execution of the same idea..

now take cannon cadets.. if a clone of angry bird and crush the castle..

so if it would be as polished or even better than angry birds, it could be a success..

clones can work, because if you like a game you'd want more.. either the original creator provides that, or one of its clones. both can work. if the cone is better it can be more sucessfull.. so it doesnt make much sense to hide your shiney guranteed not new idea somewhere and hope that someone sign an nda with you so you can say you want to make a doodle jump with a helicopter.. whoohoo..

not every game, even if its polished to a shining star can be a success.

i'm developing games for bit over 10 years now.. and the biggest team i've worked with was a hundred men strong.. we succeded because we shared our ideas, not because we hid them.

as long as you develope from youre pocket money, take developing games not too serious.. if someone invest some millions you can change youre mind and try to hide some of the ideas youre 10 men strong game design team came up with :)

18. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    well, at some point I guess it becomes art/philosophy/culture vs business. And even then there will be some bleed still.

Cloning is no big deal, ultimately, the entire industry is built on clone after clone after clone, to a degree (this industry, the film industry as wel, and so forth). But there's a noticeable difference between "clone" and "iteration" or improvement.

Pac-Man and Ms. Pac is a very easy way to see this. Some prefer one, others the alternative, one is very clearly a rip of the other in many ways and yet it's different enough to stand on it's own merit (and facilitate their being two camps). Same, in a way, with Crush the Castle Vs Angry Birds, one is clearly a rip (almost shamelessly) of the other, although the latter has much nicer production values (or execution) and it does have enough feature differences to feel like an iteration (well, almost). Though we are starting to get into apples vs oranges territory here.

Anyway I think the bigger issue is that with the App Store, there's such a surge, in general, of shameless rip-off content on such a large level, that it does really affect the entire landscape/player's attitudes. It does make "that novel idea," especially one that could be well-executed, that much more valuable.. or at least worth a try.

19. ElBueno

ElBueno Member

May 13, 2010
    Game developer
    Philadelphia
  20. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    I think I'll cry when someone rips off Scrambleface - when I began I didn't even know if the iPhone would stand up to that type of video manipulation nor whether it would get approved.

Can't be doing with clones or cash ins. They just crowd the appstore so the good, innovative apps can't be seen.