What makes for a good RPG?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by semibored, Sep 22, 2010.

1. semibored

semibored Member

Sep 22, 2010
    A few friends and I are developing an iPhone RPG (nothing too major), but was wondering what we could do to make it even better. The most important factors for me personally are storyline, battle system, battle effects, graphics and extra factors such as item creation.

Any insight/inputs?

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    If you draw your inspiration from The Elder Scrolls IV or Baldur's Gate you'll do fine. Those are probably two of the best examples of a good RPG. Great graphics, gameplay, story, battle system, everything. I'm sure some here will pick some cheesy Super Nintendo example, but if you want to be progressive, and create a modern game that'll sell like crazy as Chaos Rings did, you should try to give the graphics more detail, and the character animations at least 6 frames instead of 2.

Good luck!

3. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    add:
    - Skill trees
    - Classes?
    - Sandbox world.

- the overuse of stereotype characters
    A, ... rather not but most RPGs are pretty flawed here.
    Xemone is pretty amazing here.

One of the most underrated RPGs on the iPhone is Imprisoned.
    It clearly set it´s own tone in character design and story.
    And the interface is well done yet simple, though gets crowded in the end.
    You are fixed in your character though but you can produce new items by combining other items, which is pretty unique from most RPGs.
    Also the Battle System is more tactical action, rather then turn based. I like it a lot.
    It´s still my fav.

Fallout is also considered among the best RPGs out there.

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  5. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Regular trees are important too. :p

I remember watching a video about the creation of World of Warcraft. A lot of work goes into making good trees.

6. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    Diverse quests, balanced skill set, branching storyline, etc.

7. Chuchichäschtli

Sep 9, 2010
    1. Fun and diverse combat. This means interesting class mechanics and dynamic encounters.

2. Character progression. This makes your game a rpg! As you play you should always have a goal in front of you. Be it the next level, a quest reward or an interesting new talent.

3. Balance! This makes or breaks your game. This one of the most difficult and time consuming aspects of game design.

4. Streamlined menues. Many developers don't see this but simple and polished interfaces are pretty important to games (especially rpgs). The most important (and challenging) interface is the equip interface as you have to display a lot of information on a small screen. Make it easy to compare items!

5. A fascinating storyline. Avoid the young farmer boy going up against an evil tyrant because an ancient prophecy foretold it so... Add some time traveling demons, mechanic dragons or a rainbow pantheon of frog gods. The player should be playing to see what happens next, he/she should expect the unexpected.

6. Cool art design. Tough one but it makes you stick out of the masses.

7. Achievements. Not THAT important but they can make people the game against their own will :p.

That's it from me. Don't bite off more than you can chew, have a ton of fun
    and better small and polished than endlessly boring!

8. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Don't forget a ton of grinding, at least one quest to kill rats (optionally giant rats) and loads of similar quests later on involving low drop rates of quest items.

Get all that right and you'll have a winner on your hands. For sure.

9. Chuchichäschtli

Sep 9, 2010
    Sarcasm much?

10. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I don't think it's sarcasm as much as exaggeration. I think Role-Playing games actually need some grinding. People don't play World of Warcraft because it's easy to get the best loot. It's a challenge. It's a long and hard journey. Players share stories about their struggles.

The trick is to break it up... some quests, some hunting, good storyline, exploring, give players the feeling that they're in another world. I think that's what's important in an RPG... and level grinding is part of that.

11. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Eeek what an anathema, Oblivion is just a shiny crap.

12. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Produce a RPG with a low production cost seems quite a challenge. I quote how significantly you forget two very important elements present in RPG of the golden era and most often very thin in modern RPG: Exploration and puzzles (riddles, puzzles, tricks to find, and more stuff like that). Now exploration is often just "follow the cursor", there's no more puzzles but very very few very easy.

But also you forgot another key element modern RPG try to polish or at least some, it's quests. And strangely but I'm sure it's the influence of JRPG, you also forgot classes design.

13. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Agree 100%, study Morrowind and you will have an excellent rpg.

14. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    If it will be `nothing major`you need to ask yourself: Why would anybody pay for this and if, how much?

When Undercroft (~20hrs) is free The Shining Force (~40hrs) is $3 and the whole The Quest package (LONG!) is $8. All of these are not so graphics intensive.
    And with J-RPGs you add. go against some the polished graphics & animation, too.

That´s some really tough competition for your project, it seems to me.
    Unless you deliver a really good twist.