"Resting on my laurels..."

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NickFalk, Mar 26, 2011.

1. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

As some of you know I just finished and submitted Squid Drop to Apple last week. As I'm another one of those one-man bands I miss having people around me who really understand what this feels like. So I thought I'd share here, as this is (in addition to Twitter) the only place I really meet other developers. :)

The last few weeks have been exhausting to say the least, and I thought I had the finished article on my hands several times just to find a fresh bug. (All down to some low-level memory plumbing I had to do). None of this matters now though, as no matter what happens I can enjoy the feeling of completing the game. It may flop completely but right here and now it really doesn't matter. There is just a sense of relief, pride and pure joy from finally reaching the goal-line.

I can't think of many feelings bettering this one and I consider myself lucky to be in a position where I get to experience this. :)

2. Your game looks very good and it's nice to see that you have such a positive outlook right now. I'm releasing my first game in the coming weeks and I can only hope to be as cool-minded as you once the time comes :).

I really hope that you have success with the game!

3. Thanks for posting this -- it's nice to see there's a light at the end of the tunnel. We're working furiously to release game #1 and it sometimes feels like this will take the rest of my life... :)

4. NickFalk

@Gutenbergn

Thanks, funny how your game seems to be very similar to mine both in theme and controls (from what I can see).

5. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

When you start with an idea and several months later you have the finished product, it's the best feeling in the world, you create something wonderful out of nothing!Even though the process can sometimes be dreadful, in the end it's totally worth it!

I like to believe that hard work is always rewarded in some way, so whatever happens with your game , keep in mind that you are winning much more than just money!

I hope your game does well!Cheers!

6. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    You've improved a lot since your Fumbers game. You've done an excellent job on the art this time, which I believe was the greatest suggestion from feedback from your first game. Let's hope any further feedback on Squid Drop—if itself doesn't turn out a great success—helps you strike the third-time-lucky bell with your next title. :)

7. NickFalk

Thanks Essential Paradox!
    I can't really see the improvement in the artwork myself, but that's probably because they both originated somewhere inside that great sponge I like to call a brain.

But really, glad you think Squid Drop looks better, especially as everyone detested the way Fumbers looked. :D Bracing myself for an overwhelming tide of indifference this time as well though. ;)

8. JFPro Games

JFPro Games Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    USA
    Squid Drop

It looks like a fun endless survival game. I like the style of art it has, and I'll definitely be picking up a copy when this one comes out.

Any chance a gameplay video will be added to this thread? I'd really like to see how this one plays.

9. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Congrats!! I definitely know the feeling of being able to release something out into the wild that you've been working on for so long. In my case, I had the idea 2 years ago but it seemed too complicated at the time. 5 Apps later it was doable and the feeling of completing it is a pure joy itself.

It really is great to see other developers here express this same feeling that we all go through.

Good luck and I hope you have much success when your App gets approved! Now starts the fun part of promotion.

Hmm...if only there was an App that rewarded me somehow for doing that scary and painful task of promoting my own Apps...then I'd find a way to get better at it :D

10. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Congratulations on completing your first game.

There's so much work involved in reaching that point. Well done!!!

(And I know what you mean about wanting people to share the moment with... partners just don't understand LOL)

11. NickFalk

@JFPro Games Thanks! Making an in-game video is my number one to-do for this week. Not sure if I should inform you though as you already told me you'll pick up a copy.

@TinyTechnician Thanks! Yeah, I've started the promotion-stuff so I guess those laurels aren't being put through too much strain after all. ;) Oh, and there's always Epic Win if you need additional motivation doing mundane tasks.

@Red1 Thanks! It's not my first game actually, but certainly my most ambitious project so far. :)

12. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

I submitted an update to Boom Boat that I've been working on since January. After I'm done with all the marketing materials I'm going to take a much needed week or so off from evening programming (I have an unrelated day job).

Time to relax and recharge... but damn it feels good to hit that send button to Apple. :eek:

13. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I can't feel you more on this one, in 6 monthes I'll be closing a 26 monthes long one-man-army development ...
    Therefore, many congratulations on your release :)
    Just take two weeks off now, partying more than ever :p

14. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Congratulations fellow one-person-bander!

Thanks for sharing the feeling. I'm just hours away from experiencing the Apple send button...for the first time. 5 months solid 12+ hour days and many all-nighters had me finally getting out of bed at 9pm yesterday, ready to go for it - on a mission now to join the club =)

15. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

There is - it's called money! ;)

Anyways, I too am a one-man show and that first release was an awesome feeling!

It's strange but I'm feeling more pressure now to succeed with my 2nd game than with the first. My first was pretty successful so now I guess I feel like I need to keep the momentum going. It is my main source of income now (I still have a part time job) which is very fortunate, but it's a bit scary knowing my "survival" hinges on this now, unlike the first game.

Good luck to you!
    :)

BTW your link in the first post is incorrect.

16. NickFalk

Money, you say? I have a vague memory of something called money, would you care to refresh my memory?

17. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

I think you buy stuff with it, i'm not sure though!:)

18. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    Congratulations! It's an great effort for a one-man team to pull a project with quality all the way to app store.

Good luck man!

19. hspain

hspain Active Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Best of luck to you. I will be on the lookout on the app store for the big release.

20. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    LOL, that response...is just awesome. Touché!