FYI Lima Sky Copyrighting Doodle!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by laxking97, Jan 11, 2011.

1. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I don't know how they can because it's a way to describe a game, and there are literally thousands of 'Doodle' apps.

2. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    You mean they're trying to TRADEMARK Doodle I assume. They're free to try, but I don't see that working out.

See Tim Langdell's "Edge" case.

3. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Oh hahaha sorry :)

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    well, "Tower Defense" was successfully trademarked, so I'd say anything is possible. You never know, especially when a company is in good with Apple in this case..

5. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Having spoken to the Lima Sky folks at GDC last year, there not trademark trolls... They wont be trying to copyrighting the word "doodle" as a whole.

It'll be "doodle jump" and in relation to iPhone games + their similar branding... Which is fair enough as the amount of clones and duplicates with similar sounding names and very closely resembling icons is arguably damaging their brand, so I think it's fair enough them trying to prevent that...

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  7. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    "Tower Defense" is waaaaaay more specific though. But go ahead and try to trademark "Tower" for use in games, or "Defense". It's not gonna go all that smoothly I guarantee it.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well even trademarking TD is wonky. The erm has been used for eternity and you've had a good chance against it in court.

Fact is the hand out trademarks like cherry pops, and if you are a trademark holder you have to enforce it else you might loose it.

As for lima sky going after everything doodle. Thats just stupid and you can see what happens if you listen to the wrong people. He should have picked his targets more carefully, but at the end what do you expect, not everyone becomes nice when they become rich, they just get stupidly greedy.

9. flaming-mitten

flaming-mitten Well-Known Member

>>>As for lima sky going after everything doodle

well it's deffo happening.
    we just had an email from them via Apple.

10. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Good for Lima Sky,

This free for all attitude of copying every concept that is doing well on iTunes needs to be looked at closer. Calling something doodle this or doodle that is one thing, but copying the style, execution and concept really is something entirely different. It also clogs up the store and originality doesn't get rewarded. It is time originality is rewarded not harvested.

11. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Tell that to the makers of papi jump.

12. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    papi what?

(kidding, but it is the sad reality, the irony is lost on most people who'll read this)

13. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Major story... so why haven't Touch Arcade covered this? Most of the other majors have...

14. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Nobody is talking about copying the style, execution, and concept of Doodle Jump. This is about the word "doodle" as a trademark. They do not own the trademark, thus they have zero right to force anyone to change the name of their apps.

And, as someone else said already, Doodle Jump is a clone of PapiJump.

15. Syndicated Puzzles

Good to know that Papijump was first. Ouch, that puts a new spin on this discussion. i didn't know. The only chance Lima Sky has to defend this if they grabbed the word " doodle " on its own.

16. Syndicated Puzzles

#16 Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    So it is the word Doodle they trademarked.

Here is the mark filed by Lima Sky. The first in use date is January 15 2009. Probably the first app they sold on iTunes. The application has probably moved along in the process giving Lima Sky enough energy to ask Apple to remove all apps with the name Doodle in them. There you go. Wrong or right remains to see.

I think all apps with the name doodle in them will have to be removed in the mean time until this gets settled.

Word Mark DOODLE
    Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game programs. FIRST USE: 20090115. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20100402
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 85079944
    Filing Date July 8, 2010
    Current Filing Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Owner (APPLICANT) Lima Sky, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY NEW YORK 447 W. 22nd St. #3 New York City NEW YORK 10011
    Attorney of Record Gary A. Laurie, Esq.
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

17. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    You're mistaken. They only have Doodle Jump. They were denied Doodle. Your reference is their initial attempt to get the word. They failed. Go read this thread, especially Acceleroto's account of it, as they are personally involved with the issue:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=80441

18. Syndicated Puzzles

Thanks for the link.

19. flaming-mitten

flaming-mitten Well-Known Member

Yes. Their previous attempt to trademark the word Doodle failed.
    They DO have "Doodle Jump". Just not Doodle on it's own at the moment.

I have heard that they are going to try again, with a different tactic, as the character in the game is now called "Doodle" apparently. This might give them more leverage to get the trademark, but it feels like a long shot.

Apple legitamised the term "Doodle" to mean a graphical style for a game, when they had a section on the App store called "Best Doodle Games" a while ago.

I 100% see Lima's side, but they are sending out requests for name changes without anything real to back it up.
    A certain %age of devs will be worried enough to change their app's name(s) regardless.

As for there being a lot of apps called Doodle this or that.... How many do you really remember other than Doodle Jump? I'd bet pretty much none of them ;)

20. mean_monkey

mean_monkey Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Indonesia