Universal Age of Rivals (by Roboto Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, Jun 22, 2017.

1. vmyneni

vmyneni Well-Known Member

May 25, 2017
    Do you mean the icon for the app? If so, you're probably right that I should refresh the icon from time to time. Thanks!

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    you welcome! yeah, i mean the app icon... that knight is is charming!

3. hustlertwo

hustlertwo Member

Sep 2, 2017
    I’ve enjoyed this one quite a bit. Recommended it to a friend who loves Civilization, hopefully he’ll bite too.

Will any more cards come out? Having bought them all, it kinda left me a little short on reasons to keep going. Still, even if I never played again it was more than worth the purchase.

4. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    #264 baconcow, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Does this game still have the issue with the aspect ratio, on iPad? Where there are black bars showing at the top and bottom?

5. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Yes, they are still there, though I think that's probably by design, rather than a technical issue.

6. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    #266 baconcow, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Thanks for the answer. I feel that unused real-estate (i.e. through black bars), in any game, is bad design (also with Darkest Dungeon on iOS). In this game, where all of the elements are so tightly packed, it seems like a missed opportunity to better space out the game's elements.

7. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Yeah, actually I feel the same way. I guess the devs just don't have enough resources for a new design right now, which may involving some extra artwork.

8. vmyneni

vmyneni Well-Known Member

May 25, 2017
    Ya, that's basically it unfortunately.

By the way, Age of Rivals is on sale for one week starting today on iOS.

9. MulDeR

MulDeR Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    Does this game have enough depth for a single player? Like a campaign or something?

10. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    The AI is strong, and there's actually some campaign levels there (some challenging single-player levels with some special conditions). Not many though. But the general opinion from most players is that the AI is strong enough to offer decent offline play itself. I think there's even an article somewhere explaining the AI design by the devs IIRC

I am mainly playing offline myself, and I still lost a lot now. RNG is a factor, but I think the AI also play quite smart.

11. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Hi dev!

Is it possible that you guys implement some kind of "log" feature into the game? I think not being able to check the cards you've bought so far anytime is a bit inconvenient. And if possible, allowing the access to the card codex will be good too, 'cuz there are some effects which restore ruined cards, and without knowing what those ruined cards originally do (it can be hard to remember when there are several of them, or if they are ruined early but are not redrawn until the final round), these cards can't be fully utilized.

12. Aslaksen

Aslaksen New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Male
    I recently bought Age of Rivals, after reading many good reviews of it. It looks very good, but I am disappointed that you have not paid more attention to the needs of color blind players.

Ideally, you should not have anything that is only distinguished by color.

Let me give you an example. The first Edition of Ticket to Ride, was not playable for color blind players, but then they added small icons in addition to color, and then it is OK. Players with normal vision probably don't even notice the little icons on the map, but for me they save the day.

And if for some reason you cannot or do not want to add non-color distinguishers, then you can use colors that less problematic for most color blind players. Short version: Stay away from red or green.

I have two problems with your game. First of all it is hard for me to distinguish the red and green frames that distinguish rarity. Anyway, this is not that important for gameplay. However, the thing that makes it unplayable for me is the red frames that show whether I get a discount or have to pay tax. First of all, the icons are unclear. Is it the circular frame or the background color? You could have used something else than color, or used another color than red.

I realize that you don't want to make too much changes. How about if you keep the red frame, but also make the frame thicker, or make it look like a star or anything else that is convenient for you, but that adds a non-color distinguisher?

I hope you will be able to change this in a future update. The game seems very interesting.

13. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    The new update removes the online functionality. I have not played in a while so i wonder if online games will still work without updating it.

14. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Got this from steam:

“Due to our data backend provider discontinuing their service, AoR will no longer have online (cloud) accounts. Your data will now be stored on your device only. All content (card packs, cards, rivals) will always be fully unlocked. Coins, quests, and campaigns will just be for fun. Multiplayer games will continue to work as normal.”

So its just the cloud service. Online will still work