Any good RPG games out there?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by catomax, Jul 5, 2009.

1. catomax

catomax Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    When I talk about good RPG games, I'm thinking of the classics like Chrono Trigger, Sword of Mana, and Super Mario RPG.

The only decent RPG game I found so far is Zenonia, which is an awesome game.
    I'm on the fence with getting the game "Vay". I played the lite version of Chronicles of Inotia and I wasn't too impressed.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any others out there that are like the classics or any that are soon-to-be-released.

2. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I've heard that Chillingo's coming with SEED soon, and it's a similar RPG type to what you're looking for.
    I personally haven't been watching updates for it though.

3. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Underworlds, what is a similar style to Diablo, but it just doesnt offer a lot of content. Not even half of Zenonia. First time playing through will take you about 2 hours, maybe longer, but soon after you can beat it under 1 hour.

A content update is coming out maybe in a month or two what should add 2.5x more content than the original game (claims the dev)

4. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Vay and Underworlds are horrible. wait for Hybrid and Seed.

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    What is Hybrid?

6. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Another gamevil game, Hybrid: Eternal Whisper

7. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    ahhhhh.. I remember that! I thought that's not really a classic RPG like Zenonia? Isn't it more action based?

8. catomax

catomax Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Thanks. I just checked out Hybrid and Seed and they both look promising.
    I wonder when square enix is going to release an RPG for the iPhone.

9. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Zenonia and Underworlds are recomended. Vay is pretty good but has some sloppy controls, I find Zenonia to be much better. But Vay is a really old game that was ported so you can't really critisize it for having lousy graphics.

10. sdragon

sdragon Active Member

Jul 16, 2008
    It's a classic jRPG ala Dragon Quest. If you're into that sort of thing, it's quite fun.

11. Slightly different question:

Any RPGs that are not jRPGs, or in the style of jRPGs? Like, a more traditional RPG either in the top-down Ultima style or first-person Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beyolder style?

12. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
  13. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I liked Dungeon & Hero which is an action rpg but I recently grabbed the Arvale ones and they are pretty neat in a classic type way with good old fashion turn based gameplay :)

14. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Try Temple of Arkadoom, there is a lite version too

Full

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=314134448&mt=8

Lite

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316209900&mt=8

And Dragon Bane

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291878202&mt=8

I have Dragon Bane and II on my Palm, and they were fun there, kinda bards tale-ish. Haven't tried it on the iDevices yet.

And dont forget The Quest:

Full

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305553708&mt=8

Lite

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309333114&mt=8

Good luck!

Rixx

15. dalfiuss

dalfiuss Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Describing Zenonia as a classic RPG makes me laugh. Zenonia is a HORRIBLE RPG. It is a port of a barebones non-smart phone mobile RPG.

The OP listed Sword of Mana among classics, and I really hope you were referring to Secret of Mana, the amazing SNES game and not the actual Sword of Mana, a miserable GBA game.

Chronicles of Inotia is just like Zenonia, it is a mobile phone port and plays out in just about exactly the same fashion. In both Zenonia and Inotia the game is about 2-3 hours long, extending out to great lengths by the need to sit in a zone and grind for cash/exp for the next equipment tier.

Vay is an actual turn based RPG ported from the Sega CD, and while the game is by no means a great RPG, it certainly has much greater depth than any of the other RPGs available on the iPhone.

The inherent problem with deeper action RPGs is that the controls do not convert to the touch screen in any acceptable way. Zenonia, Inotia, and Underworld all have the most basic of setups, allowing you to move and attack (and do a couple of skills, which the control setup makes nearly worthless.) Each of them is basically the same experience.

Developers need to realize that western RPGs do not translate to well to the iPhone because they have their control structures based on the PC, and the iPhone simply cannot handle the amount of inputs required. Traditional turn-based RPGs work exceptionally well because they are entirely menu driven, something the iPhone can handle with ease.

16. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Zenonia isn't western, it was a korean mobile phone game. with that in mind, the controls are forgiveable. imagine playing it on a small keypad on a traditional phone instead.

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah, lol. If anything, it's a jRPG wannabe.

Have you actually played and finished Zenonia in 2-3 hours?? WOW!

18. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA

DON'T get temple of arkadoom, it's a big messy piece of crap. Horrible, horrible, horrible. He promised updates, no updates! The game is unplayable now.

19. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    and did u even read his comment xD, the game is 2-3 hours. BUT the only reason is longer is because u have to spend a whole bunch of time grinding. the grinding aspect is what makes the game so long

20. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    If you don't like grinding, don't get eastern style rpgs (rpgs from Japan or Korea). They are mostly, if not all, like that. Grinding is part of the game. It's pretty stupid to say that Zenonia last 2-3 hours and exclude grinding. The game is about grinding for levels, building up and takes 20+ hours on average to finish the story with one character.