Closest thing to Pokemon on iPhone/iPod Touch

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by hawks12thman, May 26, 2009.

1. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

What is the closest thing to Pokemon on the iPhone and iPod Touch? That is if there even are any clones or semi-clones out right now. Obviously, Nintendo's not going to make any Pokemon games for the iPhone and iPod Touch anytime soon seeing how Nintendo and Apple are now competitors, but are there any notable clones of the famous RPG out right now or in the making?

2. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I wish there was.

3. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

wolfenstein 3d

4. DAV!DiOT

DAV!DiOT Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    ???
    lol random

epic pet wars :D

5. hawks12thman

lol yeah i guess but i'm honestly kind of tired with these type of MMO games, as in the imafia and undead live stuff...i've never been a fan of them and never will

6. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    i played imob for a short stint. Once you achieve your goal of getting money and stuff it gets really boring

7. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    kyle's quest II has some monster capturing but it really isn't on par to pokemon.

8. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    The closest thing would have to be Iron Fist Boxing.

9. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Move along.

10. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Touché

11. Baloney

Baloney Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    Might as well jailbreak and get a gameboy emulator. >.>"

12. hawks12thman

lol yeah, unforchunately

13. SomeRandomGuy18

SomeRandomGuy18 Active Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Well there is always emulators... but I'm sure we aren't allowed to dicuss that on this site. Plus the GBA one doesn't work very well. But yeah otherwise I guess epic pet wars.

14. Man of Mystery

Man of Mystery Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2008
    texas
    ^gpsphone works just fine o_o it's very playable, full speed on most games and the golden suns even work now

and why wouldn't you be allowed to TALK about emulators? not being allowed to share roms i can see, but i've never heard of a forum that doesn't allow discussion of emulators (which usually means the games for whatever system it's for)

15. Albo

Albo Member

May 8, 2009
    I don't see how it would be hard to make even a crappy Pokemon clone, and I'm sure whoever did would make a decent amount of cash considering the number of people itching to play one. Hopefully whoever does decide to make one first will actually make a decent one though (I could see a good Pokemon clone dominating the iTunes store).

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I think that the problem is that games like pokemon are fun because they want you to catch them all...

So even a crappy port would have to draw plenty of monsters to catch, animate them at least a bit, name them, give them unique stats, balance those stats, give them unique abilities, and then animate those abilities

If you don't do that then it would be like getting the same monster 50 - 100 times.

Then you have to have a back story, a means of acquiring the monsters, etc.

That is a pretty daunting task. Especially when you consider the fact that you could submit it and have something wrong that means it doesn't get to be on the appstore at all.

It's a big risk

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Closest thing to Pokemon right now is a game called Piecehunters.

It's a match 3 puzzle game, but it's more of a puzzle/RPG, ala Puzzle Quest, except not nearly as deep. But it does involve saving/capturing/taming animals by matching colored pieces, and fighting poachers by doing the same. You can upgrade your character's stats, and each animal or poacher has a different combination of gem colors that can hurt or heal them (adding a bit of strategy).

Paid version ($0.99) can be found here:

Piecehunters

and a lite version here:

Piecehunters Lite

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Also, hope upon hope that Sega finally gets their heads out of their asses, remembers that they are, y'know, Sega, and are therefore fully capable of better than releasing a rom of a two decade old game running on an emulator that isn't really optimized, and can, y'know, release new games even if based on already in use IPs.

And hope that, if you really want a Pokemon style collection RPG game, that among Sega's "new" iTouch/Phone games is one that uses their Dinosaur King IP.

Dinosaur King arcade game:

[hqyoutube]0012eiiUbqM[/hqyoutube]

BTW, the arcade game runs on Sega's Aurora arcade board, which uses a PowerVR MBX GPU.

Guess what else uses a PowerVR MBX GPU?

The iTouch/Phone platform. Actually, iTouch/Phone uses a PowerVR MBX-lite, but...still...it would probably be just as easy if not easier for Sega to make an iTouch/Phone version of Dinosaur King as it was for them to make this:

Dinosaur King for Nintendo DS:

[hqyoutube]3h_J7LegD7w[/hqyoutube]

Sega...c'mon now...get with it. They could be ruling the app store charts! And yet...I dunno...they forget that they are...y'know...Sega. :(

19. SSJGohan3972

SSJGohan3972 Member

May 6, 2009
    Make one, doesn't seem that it's been done and if you make a good monster collecting RPG (don't rip off Pokemon too badly or you could get in trouble) you could do pretty well.

20. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I would pay $10 for a game that the company Nint3ndo came out with Pokemon Pink, a full port but Pikachu is pink, but I get the game in the 2 days before it's dragged from the App Store