Your words wound me!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Photics, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I read this on the main page today...

Those words wound me! I'm in the process of writing a GameSalad Textbook, which shows how to make quality games with GameSalad. Also, I made Arcade Action and Commove... I think both are good games made with GameSalad.

Does Touch Arcade accept promo codes? I think that this discontent with GameSalad games is not entirely deserved.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The words "Made with GameSalad" used to make me cringe - not for the reasons most people would expect, but for the fact that it guaranteed that if it was a landscape game, it would be upside-down for us iPod Touch users. Seems that has been fixed.

Favorite GameSalad games are An Impossible Game and Danger Cats!

3. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    Heh, I am saving up for the pro version of GameSalad. I'm looking forward to removing the loading screen from all of my GameSalad games. It can be retroactive, as I'm planning to launch updates to all of my previously released games.

Although, their logo is cute. It's going to be tough for me to create something better.

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    #4 MasterChief3624, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    I think it's completely deserved, to be honest. The ratio of games made with GameSalad that are genuinely fine as opposed to the ones that are utter crap is realistically somewhere in the realm of 1:50, from my personal experience, at least. Your games may be fine, Max Vector is fine. There's no denying that if the right person is behind it, they can actually work with GameSalad and make a decent game. But the general population of GameSalad developers is, quite frankly, horrendous at making games, it seems.

But there is that very tiny tiny fraction of folks that do have talent with making games, and know how to make GameSalad work. It's just a shame that the majority of GameSalad developers don't get the clue :p

5. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yea GameSalad is definitely er..Not my favorite. I don't think I've played a GS game I've kept on my iPod for more than a day.

6. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook is finished. The feedback from the developers is great! You can see the GameSalad Forums for yourself...

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=9300

Also, there are two new GameSalad games that you might like...

• Bumps
    • Attack of the Kracken

The community is new, but it is growing and it seems to be getting better.

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I really like Bumps but just this morning I was playing it, waiting for a loading screen and thought to myself - darn this Game Salad, this game is better than that.

For sure Bumps is good but Game Salad just creates long load times, detrimental to squeezing in a level or two of a game quickly, among other limitations.

It's great that the community is growing and all but will the quality of the engine and therefore the apps? They are only as good as what they are given to use and some of them just don't know their own ability enough to trust making the same game with a better engine.

8. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    Yeah, the loading times are terrible. Although, it seems that they just raised a million bucks. Maybe they'll be able to invest more in their software.

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Game Salad is fugly.

10. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    There are some pretty GameSalad games... like Bumps...

...and I think the cover of my Textbook looks sexy! :)

11. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

Yes, the problem isn't with Gamesalad it is with the developers. Once you put "game development" into the hands of the masses, you end up with a lot of "ideas" - nothing more than that.
    Gamesalad can be used to create good games, it just takes a bit of fine tuning. However, you are also constrained to what the engine itself can do. So, you get a ton of games (in general) that have the unfinished and similar game play.

Gamesalad unfortunately simply lowers the difficulty of making an app, but at the cost of poor quality (since the developers know nothing of actually what MAKES a game).

12. Sucker Punch

Sucker Punch Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Okay, okay. We get it. You wrote a guide.

Now put it in your sig and let it go.

13. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    Hey! That's a good idea! :)
    (...but my signature has my website and people can find the book over there.)

I was actually wondering if I should go with Unity instead. Yet, I see some negative comments about Unity that are quite similar. Just as GameSalad has brought development to the masses, the Internet has brought game reviewing to the masses too.

I was wondering if I should get away from GameSalad to get away from the "it's probably a lousy game" stigma... but then I realize, there's no escaping that in iTunes land.

Person #1: The iTunes App store has over 250,000 apps
    Person #2: So what?! Most of them suck!

14. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Bumps is amazing, I agree totally.

Weyheyyy @ the textbook!

15. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bumps and danger cats are excellent games but extra loading times that come with game salad are very noticeable. If you play bumps and then play iblast moki the difference is astounding. In iblast moki if you want to reload the level there is no waiting time at all. These days game salad game has to be really special for me to want to spend any money on it.