Why No Historical Wargames ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cts125, Jul 15, 2010.

1. cts125

cts125 Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Just wondering why we haven't seen any 'classic' style (hex-based) historical wargames....

Like the Panzer General series, Steel Panthers, Civil War. Seems like a natural for the device.

It's seems like all the turn-based strategy games are fantasy/future conflict style. Is it no market anymore for those?

Just wonderin'.....

CT

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Have you seen Nectaris?

Now if only VASSAL could be ported to HTML5 or iPhone binary...

3. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Historical wargames don't fit that well small screen, wargames rather detailed match much better large screen because they tend multiply number of units.

Myself I'd like some less hardcore game like Battle Isle and few other similar but I forgot their names, perhaps A Certain General too but not sure. They had a less serious approach to wargames but RTS destroyed this turn based genre and took this more fun place for wargames and those turn based games quickly disappeared. I hate so much RTS.

But games like Battle Isle would fit much better the ipad not really an iphone.

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  5. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Woo wargame card game? I never played a card game and that it's a simplified wargame is even more alien for me. Thanks a lot for the link, it's been instant add in wish list and they made more than one and there's demo, perfect!

6. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
    Ooh, historical wargames would be nice. Perhaps someone could port the old SSI titles, such as the Civil War series to the iPad? Or Computer Ambush? Or just about any of their WW2 games.

Yes, I'm an old fart. :)

7. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    not my type. but i do feel there are too many tower defense games. guess some dev could consider making something more serious.

8. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Because the userbase is waay to casual to actually learn or know how to play such games. Those gamers play on the pc and stay away from the ultra casual idevices where every game csn be learnt under five minutes. Same reason you dont see final cut or any complicsted programs on there either. Spple wont sllow it csusemit would destroy the "me too" userbase.

9. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
  10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    No, I never called it a hardcore war game. The guy wants a historical war game, he never said it had to be hardcore.

11. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Ok then. The game may be fun but i dount there is much deoth in there.

12. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
    Tower defense games are definitely not strategy nor wargames.

13. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
    If I read that correctly you say that Apple would not allow a really hardcore strategy game on the iOS platform? I do doubt that as long as the game otherwise is fine and in line with guidelines. Sales would perhaps be rubbish, but that's another issue.

14. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    If ghenghis khan for the original nes is mkre complex and hardcore than any idevice wargame what does that tell you? Heck even the ipad doesnt have anything like it yet.

15. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    as I told in another thread, we definitly plan making at least one "real" war/strategygame (most likely napoleonic era). but it will be out by the end of the year (2011) at the earliest.

I also think you can't make much money here, but the few thousand fans would love you (and buy other games from you) if you deliver good stuff.

16. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Why cant sega just port one of the total war games and charge what koei is doing a high amount due to all the content?ni thinknkoei charges like $18 for the ipad and it is gimped compared to other console versions as well, of romance of the three kingdoms.