iPhone BADLAND - atmospheric action adventure from Frogmind!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Johannes Vuorinen, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Programmer & Designer / Co-founder
    Finland
    #1 Johannes Vuorinen, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    BADLAND is an atmospheric side-scrolling action adventure located in a gorgeous forest full of various inhabitants, trees and flowers. Although the forest looks like it’s from some beautiful fairytale, there seems to be something terribly wrong. The player controls one of the forest’s inhabitants to discover what’s going on. Through his journey he discovers astonishing amount of imaginative traps and obstacles.

BADLAND takes side-scrollers to the next level with its innovative physics based gameplay combined with the extremely beautiful atmospheric graphics and audio.

BADLAND has been designed specifically for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch and uses one-touch controls to give the player the best possible control mechanics. In addition, the graphics have been designed to fully use the retina Retina Display of these devices. The result is an highly immersive, addicting gaming experience.

More info coming later this year. Meanwhile, subscribe to our blog, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about BADLAND. Stay tuned! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We (Johannes Vuorinen and Juhana Myllys) are two game industry veterans who just recently formed a new two-man indie game studio called Frogmind. Our latest projects before Frogmind were Trials Evolution (Xbox360, metascore 90) and MotoHeroz (Wii/iOS, metascore 82) both developed by RedLynx where we were both working before. Johannes was the lead in-game editor programmer of Trials Evolution, and Juhana was the lead artist of MotoHeroz. We love to develop and play games, and our vision is to reflect this feeling in BADLAND.

2. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    This art looks awesome!!! Can't wait for more stuff!! Wish you good start guys!

3. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    From the blog on their website:

Sign me up! I love a good side scroller.

I do have one nitpick, though:

I think "announce" would have been a better way of putting that, since there isn't much of anything actually revealed of the game. All we know is that it's an atmospheric side scroller, and we have what looks to be the title screen artwork. Not very revealing, if you ask me.

Again, that's just me being nitpicky... Don't mind me. I'm actually looking forward to what this game turns out to be, because "atmospheric" and "side scrolling" are two elements that definitely peak my interest.

4. Juhana Myllys

Juhana Myllys Well-Known Member

Hello!

Good point there Mike! But about that artwork...

I currently work as an artist / designer at Frogmind and let me assure you that every artwork we have revealed from BADLAND will be in-game graphics.
    It looks ok now but it will look even better in motion :) So stay tuned and follow our development at:

http://www.badlandgame.com

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Nice start, can't wait to hear (and see) more!

6. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    From my experience when you hear a lot of things and see almost nothing about a game it is either a total fail or a big success. Nothing in between. Sooo will be watching this closely and hope for the best.

7. multiplang

multiplang Member

May 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Seriously good piece of artwork. Very interested to see where this goes.

8. Juhana Myllys

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

We here at Frogmind are also truly excited about BADLAND. We are really aiming high with our first game and our goal is to create as immersive gaming experience as possible.

There's still a lot to do but we'll keep you regularly posted!

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    How is a two man team funding this game of such apparent high quality? Do you have a big publisher like Chillingo to back you up? Are you going to start a kickstarter for funds soon?

Game looks amazing! :eek:

10. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Well... We know they have a ass-kicking artist on board.

11. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the same!

12. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Finland
    Thanks! :)

We are really dedicated to the project, and we use all the possible available tools to speed up the development in addition to our own tools. I'll write a blog post about the tools we use in near future in our dev blog.

We are 100% independent - no publisher is involved. We haven't considered kickstarter funding yet as we strongly believe we can finish the project in reasonable time.

13. Juhana Myllys

14. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    #14 CygnetSeven, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    Tease! :D

Which iPhones will this be compatible with? (please say 3gs)

15. Johannes Vuorinen

May 30, 2012
    Finland
    All iPhones starting from 3GS :)

16. Numba One

Numba One Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    This game seems front page worthy!

Why isn't there a post on the front page of TA?

17. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    With threads here and in upcoming iPhone I assume it is not universal? Not that I care much, the iPhone gets less and less gaming love from me since I got the iPad.

18. Wow the graphics look great!

19. Juhana Myllys

We here at Frogmind are game developers but most of all we are gamers. It means we would like to make games that we would also like to buy :)

I've never seen any point on buying the same game twice.

So BADLAND will most definitely be an universal app!

20. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    Great!!!
    So this will be a platformer with puzzles (like Limbo) or something else? Any clue for the gameplay...