Improving iOS Rage

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Nov 18, 2010.

1. John Carmack

John Carmack Gaming God

Jul 24, 2009
    Now that a lot of people have had an opportunity to play iOS Rage, let’s have a discussion about what we can do to improve on it. I’ll say up from that the game isn’t going to turn into a free-roamer. There are a lot of technical and design reasons for it, so if you really can’t stand the play style, we will have to do without your purchase. I would like to do a more open game, but this isn’t going to be the series for it.

We are planning a point release that will fix bugs (I am mortified about the crash with non-english language settings), localize to the major languages, add GameCenter support, make the external monitor support more playable by also drawing the buttons on the device, and possibly tweak a few more things. The real opportunity for changes would be on the next game. There is lots and lots more in the Rage world for us to explore, and the team is just hitting its stride for what to do in this play style. We might even be able to squeeze two more mobile games out before the big games hit store shelves next year.

We haven’t hit all the things that were mentioned in the previous “TCRs for iOS games” thread, and we will review the general comments there again. Bringing the time / battery status bar up on pause was a direct result of feedback from that thread.

The current restricted view angles can be expanded. We had them off and on through the development, but when you could look completely behind the movement path you often saw us cleaning up the bodies or bringing monsters in when we didn’t want you to. Future levels can be designed and scripted with that in mind, allowing us to take out the limits. Doing a 180 is awkward with both tilt (upside down) and touch (requires a quick retouch during the snap-back), but it is satisfying to grab an item that you almost missed like that.

We will probably try look-around gyro aiming control as another option in addition to tilt / touch.

So far, downloads of the HD version are crushing the SD version, so people don’t seem to care about downloading huge apps, which was a significant concern of mine. We might push this a little bit more in future releases. I heard that there was a 2GB app size limit enforced by the App Store, but it isn’t clear if that is compressed or installed size.

John Carmack

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #2 drelbs, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    The HD version isn't that much bigger than the SD version - I'd have only gotten it if I had to..

Regarding the engine, in addition to action games, it would be perfect for adventure gaming, maybe even a hybrid. Kinda like Myst on steroids.

As for Rage HD, I'd love to have an unlockable mode that just lets me look around! (Put a few baddies in there standing around and call it Museum mode...) More levels would be a huge plus, as would a "randomly generated" level - at least randomly generate the baddies. You could use semi-random level "chunks" as well (see Necromancer Rising for a good example.)

EDIT: For ~2GB sized games, please include some sort of method of saving your game, as the current method offered by iTunes (backup your device) is all or nothing. There are a few apps that have started to use iTunes File Sharing (best example: The Quest - savegames are even compatible with the PC version!) and some apps use Wifi or savegames on Plus+

This forces a lot of people to keep an app on their device until they've finished it, and with devices as low as 8GB floating around out there, it's difficult to keep as many apps on as they start growing in size to match the display.

3. Gavaphone

Gavaphone Active Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Please, block menu/pause button when using the D-pad... is frustrating! Make it only works when finger release D-pad.

Also a walk-free mode will rock!

Thanks.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    You would vastly improve this game simply by having a free demo to try. As it stands I haven't played it, so it has zero value to me. I know it's not an expensive title, but for me I'm skeptical of it, so I need to try before I buy anyway. I don't understand why all app don't have free demos, and available from day 1. See Xbox Live Arcade. That's how it should be done. Demos and full versions shouldn't even be separate, but it will take a change in the App store to do it right - games should be listed together as a free demo and noted price to unlock the full game, and unlocking shouldn't involve a separate, large download. Why NOT have a free demo?

5. ChrisMayer

ChrisMayer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Developer / Designer
    Chichester, UK
    Thanks so much for Rage, it's the coolest game I've ever played on a phone!

If you're looking to improve:

More levels would be awesome, maybe some randomly generated ones, piecing together environments from the existing levels.

Maybe some variety in the mutants behaviour? have them appear in places where they didn't last time the level was played.

But seriously, wow! I love Rage on iPhone.

6. zosarade

zosarade Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Regarding Rage release..

I don't want to post this question here but it seems no one can answer this so far..

In order to be constructive about how to improve Rage.. A lot people have to be able to buy it first.. From reply I have read so far in the other post.. Still no Rage in Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, India, Hongkong, and of course.. Where I live which is Taiwan.

So Mr. Carmack, is Rage going to be release internationally or just in US&EU?

7. nariusseldon

nariusseldon New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    couple of ideas ...

BTW, the graphics is awesome for iOS rage. It is great to see the iphone4 is capable of doing xbox 360 quality graphics.

What i really want to see is a tactical RPG based on the rage universe & the graphics you can pull for this game.

A tactical RPG (grid based?) allows you to limit viewing angle just like this rail shooter does but it opens up for much deeper gameplay. Controls would less be an issue for a tactical RPG than a FPS.

Oh, for this game, i would like to see a gyroscope control. I use that on Black Pegasus and it feels a bit better than using the accelerometer.

8. lordbom

lordbom Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    It would be awesome if you could use the money you earned in-game for buying new guns, upgrades for guns, new maps or even new game modes!

9. razi139

razi139 Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Please, even if not totally free-roam, some kind of Nazi Zombies style mode? Move around and survive in one level for as long as possible. Oh and fix the bug where moving the screen and sliding over the pause button pauses it, that bug really annoys me..

10. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Thank you Mr. Carmack for taking time to hear our opinions. I love the game so far so here are some suggestions to consider:

* Please move the pause button to the top or somewhere out of the way. It's far too easy to accidentally swipe when facing a hoard of mutants
    * Potential for multiple stage paths - maybe setup predefined targets that appear for very short periods of time that would open up branching paths
    * additional weapons - Chainsaw or Chaingun come to mind. Maybe a BFG (as an homage to FPS roots?)
    * Game Center - I know that this was already mentioned in one of your previous posts, but maybe co-op play as a team or against one another?
    * Additional Enemies - Mutants are great, but the addition of "brute" mutants or other types would add some variety to the mix
    * Use for the cash accumulated - MiniGore comes to mind where kills equates to new characters. Maybe something more can be done with the cash to buy new weapons or unlock non-game extra's (art galleries, bonuses, different sound tracks)
    * Survivor mode - Take an existing scene or small subset and "loop" around multiple times and gradually buid up the difficulty

You have an amazing engine with spectacular assests that compliment it well. I hope that this becomes more of an expansive project with new Season's and more content.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to hear my thoughts! :)

11. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I keep touching by mistake the Pause button (I'm using the touch mode). Please move the button out of the way. Also, add some kind of achievements to add replay value, and online leaderboards would be nice.

12. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I have limited space available (16GB Ipad) but was more than happy to make room for quality game like this. As for future games I am not too concerned with size if the quality is there but my preference would be no more than 1GB.

As for Rage, I purchased the HD version and love it. An expanded view would be nice but I would really like to see DLC in the form of new levels which I would be more than happy to pay for.

Other things I would love to see:

Offline leader board with name entry after a round. This is the type of game that you show your friends, it would be nice to have a leader board.

More weapons.

I love on rails games, so I would love to see more games like Rage but maybe with different settings. Also, please increase the price of your future games so the people that don't appreciate quality, won't buy the game and bitch about it.

13. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #13 Ezak, Nov 18, 2010
    It would be nice to have a HUD display indicating which way the hit came from (common in many fps games, like a transparent circle that has a side turn red depending on where the hit came from).

Something I noticed on the iPhone version of the game:
    With touch controls active, if you turn right by sliding your finger on the screen, you eventually hit and activate the pause menu.
    I would suggest "disabling" the pause menu event if a finger is already on the screen, or allow button placement customization (but i think placement is fine).

Regards

edit: well others beat me to the swipe/pause issue ;)

14. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    I have to say the damn pause button is so damn frustrating. I have no other problems. The game is quick to finish but has replay value due to all of the targets you can shoot. Although no way to get them all, it just moves to quick for that. I would try to turn to get targets then I would accidentally pause the game, when I would un-pause, it would move more anyway. The game was $1.99. Good price for graphics and replay value so there is no concern there. With out a fix for the pause button, not sure if I will play it too much more; was simply to frustrating; especially if I am working on trying to beet my own score.
    Leader boards would be cool, Co-op mode would be cool; one person getting the targets and extras and one taking out the peeps. Slowing the rails a bit so you can actually attempt to get all of the targets would be nice. The best part about the game is this forum; A developer that wants to improve his game. With commitment like that, I would have paid more. With that my suggestion would be in-app DLC; Maybe new levels.

15. elton182

elton182 New Member

Nov 17, 2010
    System Analyst
    São Paulo - Brazil
    I would like to see an open world too, and some more weapons, maybe a melle one, skills and weapon upgrades (like Borderlands and others).

It would be cool if could be a mode for sniper, you get a scope gun and shoot from a distance.

Thanks.

16. Thechansen

Thechansen Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Agreed, although the random generation of levels with this type of game might be a little tricky. It would certainly add replay value. Varying the mutants (left4dead I guess would be a good example) would help build the atmosphere as you would never know when you have some down time or if you are rocking the level, spawn some more mutants.

17. Tharsman

Tharsman New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    The biggest deal: Game Center integration with Achievements. Please add Achievements!

Some form of cloud saving. I have an iPhone, iPod Touch and an iPad and have the game on all. Would be glorious to be able to put one down and pick the other one resuming where I left, even if I'm forced to provide my own ftp or network directory for the game to save to.

The HD and regular format was a bit confusing, I ended up buying both as I own an iPod Touch 4 and an iPad. When I saw the Universal icon on the purchase I just got the regular version (I didnt even notice the HD until later.)

Not sure what to recomend here, since it is sort of nice to be able to run old games in the iPad natively, but my gut feeling would had rather liked that the Regular non-HD version stay iPhone/iPod only with the HD being universal. Would had been much more clear for me what version to get.

Not a big deal at the end of the day, the game is well worth the 2.99.

Enemy positioning can be confusing. I have not played a lot, but another thing I notice so far is somethimes I am being hit with no way of knowing from were I'm being hit. Would be nice to have one of those classic FPS border glows (or splash of blood or something) letting me know i'm being hit from the left or right.

Hold/Proceed option or game mode. I understand the game design dictates "on rails" and free roaming is not an option, but it would be nice to have a "hold/proceed" option. Perhaps a new game mode where your progress is timed, the more you take the less off a score you get, at this point you allow the user to stay on a spot longer with the penalty of lower score at the end of the level. Sometimes it's just fun to stand there and admire the panorama, others it's about relaxing and "exploring without moving" (although I realize that may be agains the goal, why I sugest a time-bonus/penalty.)

18. ejjib

ejjib Active Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Awesome :D

hi there,

rage is awesome. it made me delete 2 movies, but it was worth it. i am from germany, and in the german app store the reviews mostly complain about the possibility to walk on your own, which is not there(yet). i hope fo it as well, because i woupd like to go back sometimes to grab a missed item, or to flee from an enemy right before me. dodging wouldnt be needed anymore, because you woupd be able to walk to te side. also, 3 levels is not much, but i like it more to have many different levels instead of a few which can be played very often. i also liked that i was asked if i wanted to leave the app an switch to the browser, that is the second app i have seen with that feature so far. well done.

the hd version runs without any problems on my 32 gb ipod touch 3rd gen with 4.0 jailbreak, even tho my hard drive is nearly full. i have set my default language to english anyways, because i like to have the original text in games, so im not having an idea bout the bug.

thanks for stopping by and reading users reviews - awesome.

19. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I would love to see a RageRPG in the tradition of WolfRPG or DoomIIRPG.

20. baartlebooth

baartlebooth Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #20 baartlebooth, Nov 18, 2010
    First of all I will quickly auto quote myself from the previous topic if you may let me so )

- next season please
    - move that fraggin pause button somewhere else !
    - Boss. Huge ones. WITH BIG CHAINSAWS )
    - Maybe implement something to use those dollars, beside the score mechanic
    - Have you and all your devs cryogenized so that when the nuclear blast kills anyone we will be able to keep on playing such incredible games

Beside all of that maybe you should consider improving the level design variety somehow in the future (I certainly do no want to be patronizing I am pointing these things out precisely because of the love I have for you game and what it may become ^^) :

- strong rail shooters offers a lot of enemy variety, and the different challenges it oppose to U, this is crucial when you want to comeback to the game (and coming back is what arcade rail shooters are made for !!), especially when u tune the difficulty up.

What makes the game more difficult is not how long an enemy gets to be killed, but how the patterns change, how different types of enemy are mixed together etc ...
    That was my biggest reproach to Doom Res. by the way, I thought twitching the difficulty up was kind of inconsistent as the enemies still pop at the same places, a rail shooter relies a lot on memory it is when you trick the memory that it gets juicy ^^

- Level design variety . For instance a level where you climb stairs, jump into a car, survive to the crash of the car, then suddenly being surrounded by tons of pop corns enemies etc..., this is the kind of stuff that really works in a good rail shooter (look at HOTD overkill etc...)

- The score system as it is is good but it could be better, for instance when you manage to keep your combo bar up to 50 enemies you double the score, triple at 100 etc ...

- HUGE BOSSES WITH BIG CHAINSAWS ;)

- Different paths available : easy one and hard one is a terrific mechanic regarding those games

- Please don't change to much the tilting method, I don't know if it was wanted as it is but I just love how you can combine in this method tilting + left thumb aiming.
    You should probably be more didactical about it, a lot of players seem not to have notice.

I hope those kind of things will be useful, I may be repeating myself as it is the game is in my top 5 IOS apps ever.

Keep up the good work and encore bravo !!!