Home-Made Fling!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ajx, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Ajx

Ajx Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Hello TA!

Since I first laid my eyes on a Fling (http://tenonedesign.com/fling) I wanted one. However, I have an iPhone and after reading countless reviews saying that the Fling would only be in the way on the iPhone I decided to make one myself. I mean, how hard can it be?

Now, before I go any further, this is my absolute first "prototype" and was made using household materials in about an hour. I've decided to hard-test this thing to see how it works, and then create another using a lot better materials and tools (read: I'll actually buy materials and perhaps even order the plastic).

I thought it would be fun to share my progress so far and see what the community thinks.

[​IMG]

Information:
    - It was made using a plastic bottle (PET?), a piece of cloth, a piece of foam, glue and some rubber bands.
    - The rubber bands are just temporary, but work pretty nice. They allow for the "joystick" to be placed almost everywhere on the device. Placing it is however not that easy.

[​IMG]

Oh, and before you say anything, I'm aware that it cowers the "shoot" button and that the rubber bands as well as the "joystick" itself covers part of the screen which of course is very annoying. My plan is to attach it to the right short-side of the device, as well as the bottom side/edge.

It works as well as you would assume it to. In it's current state I'd say it doesn't really improve the experience of playing FPS on an iPhone, but it definitely improves my aim. It's a bit bulky still, and because the glue sort of soaked the cloth (I got thick fingers) it's not that comfortable to use.

I tested it while playing NOVA. The joystick returns to the center when released, but it still takes about 7-8 "drag and release" movements to do a 360 spin.

Tell me what you think :)

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Very brilliant. I hope you're able to get all materials you need. Good luck. :)

3. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    it looks ugly, while the iPhone is beautiful

4. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Don't listen to the haters. Did you even read his post? All the materials are in their first incarnation.

5. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Kudos to you. I'm interested to see how it develops. Keep us up to date with your progress
    :)

6. Ajx

Ajx Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Thanks for the replies!

In it's current stage I wasn't really aiming for looks, but I'm aware that it isn't that appealing. Quite honestly, it looks like a piece of junk, but for a first "prototype" looks isn't the primary focus.

I'm already working on a next version. I hope to improve the range at which the "joystick" can move, and also make it more comfortable. Instead of making it a spiral, I'm going to make an outer ring as well as an inner ring and then attack it using semi-circles. Not sure it will improve the range, but it will solve the issue of it being unstable (right now "center" can change because the plastic bends in different ways).

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Clever idea... from the pictures it's not clear what the underside that touches the screen looks like. Could you post additional pictures/details? Good luck...

oh... ummmm... the iphone is beautiful... agggh... don't tarnish it with custom modification... errrr... consume high price gadgets... ohhh... that!

8. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah, this looks like an awesome project, I'd love to know this to!

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Well, it's definitely worth a try! Looks like it might work!