Drop7 addict needs to find a new game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by headcaseGames, Jan 4, 2012.

1. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    People around there parts who know me, realize that I've got quite a long-standing addiction to this game.

I scoffed when it was in vogue, thinking it looked boring and limited. At last I gave it a chance and got completely sucked in.

Now it's been a couple of years and I still play the damned game several times a day. I've passed some sort of threshold beyond "enjoyment" to "constant IV drip" where Drop7 has rewired a small part of my brain and the way I process math and the pacing of things. Seriously, I play this game way more than anything else on the phone, and at this point probably more than I've played any video game period..

I am not sure what it is, between the super-simple presentation, the fact that no game session in hardcore mode (the only mode worth playing!) will ever really go past 7 minutes or so, the perfect adaptation of the touch interface, the quickest "launch app -> start into fresh gameplay" I've probably seen anywhere, the unique but very simple grounded-in-reality rules that the game expresses (very simple math) - probably a combination of these things at least.

As I said, I play this game way too much, and I think it's time to find something else to help me break the habit. I am looking for something along the same lines, with all I wrote above. Not simply a rework of this game's formula, but something easily as approachable, but also infinitely deep and enjoyable on so many levels.

I am sure many people love to jump in and say "cut the rope, angry birds, etc" but that's not what I am getting at - those games are finite, eventually you can "solve" each level and exhaust the entire game, even if there's technically different ways you can play them depending on what you do.

Let me know what you think! I've seen a couple which have captivated me for brief periods, but not much which has stuck around anywhere near as long..

BTW My high score (hardcore) is 784,223

2. MrOstrich

MrOstrich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    You tried something like SpellTower? Theres a couple modes in it and its pretty interesting, there's a mode that's like tetris and its really addicting....

The most addicting games to me on the phone are word games...W.E.L.D.E.R. owns DAYS of my life already (PRE UPDATE!) and spelltower is really awesome as well....for what its worth....my GF is addicted to W.E.L.D.E.R. with me, we play together on one device all the time hahaha

Another really addictive game to me at least is Monsters Ate My Condo...that game is impossible to put down when you start playing but you can and resume later

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well... I was going to recommend 180 when I saw the title but...

I hear Pathpix is good.

4. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Try iCombi10. It's pretty much taken almost all of the time I spent on Drop7.

5. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

This is blatant self-promotion but try out IncrediBlox.

Drop7 was an influence on the development so it may be something that will work for you. It has a level progression but the Endless modes are the closest to Drop7's playstyle.

Let me know what you think!

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    #6 pluto6, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    I would recommend Hexius and Fractals: Make Blooms Not War as 2 puzzle / games that are deep, and have you going back for higher and higher scores. The games don't typically last as long as a really good round of Drop 7 does, but at least for me, they keep me coming back for more, and trying to increase my scores. Certainly some element of luck for how things crop up, but also a significant strategy and tradeoffs for risk vs ease....

If you do find something that captures your interest the same level of Drop 7 please PM and let me know what you found... It truly is a remarkable game.

Edit - one more to look at - Fade by Morey Entertainment. Very challenging.

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Do you have a link for this? I can't find it in the App store and even Google it, there is one German d/l site...

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I also very much enjoy playing Drop7 on a daily basis, I'd recommend these, I don't like them as much as Drop7, but they're good:

DropSum
    Hard8

9. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    looks like this one

10. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    <-- FYI iPad only

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Seconding Hexius. It has the same kind of deep thought, in its own way.

Jump Maze?

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Thanks... the "i" threw me there... I'll give the lite a try. Sorry about the Fractals - I pretty much only use an iPad these days for gaming. My phone has become, well, a phone again...

Hexius and Fade both work on the iPhone though - so, I'll be curious if you find anything... may not though..

13. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    would be cool to have one of the best games whcih has something to do with numbers Swing on iphone too.

14. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Async Corp maybe?
    or are you looking for something with math?

15. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Both have already been mentioned, but here's another mention for Hard 8 (which is really similar to Drop 7) and especially Pathpix. There are three Pathpix apps and I've spent at least 100 hours on them.

I think that despite age, Mondrian remains my favorite puzzle game, however.

16. topGamex

topGamex New Member

Feb 8, 2013
  17. ExK

ExK Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Founder @ http://cks-studio.com
    Singapore
    I've made a game which is inspired by Drop7. It's called Numerous. You can find it here. The basic mechanic is similar to that of Drop7, but it has a unique twist to it.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=195687

[​IMG]

The iOS version is coming out in a few days.

18. ExK

ExK Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Singapore
    #18 ExK, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  19. Sciuridae

Sciuridae Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Never played Drop7, but I'm a sucker for enthusiastic devs who post tastefully in these forums. 0.99, universal and no IAP? Instabought Incrediblox without having to try the free version. Free and no IAP? Downloaded Numerous and can't wait to play it.

Mysterious Castle and Tiny Thief also got full-price purchases from me recently due to polite devs who were bubbling with pride and excitement and couldn't wait to share their brainchild. I also tend to spread word of such games to friends and family, who then have a greater than 50 percent adoption rate. Thought devs on here would like to know that pride in workmanship also sells apps, and not just paid reviews and shill posts. :)

20. ExK

ExK Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Singapore
    thank you for your kind words, sciuridae. :). I'm a young developer, so I'm still trying out what works in order to put food on the table. Most of my games are ads-supported. One of them has IAP. I'm also trying out various genres to see what I excel in. I hope you like Numerous and do give me a good rating if you think it's decent! :D