Releasing a small 100% free game to increase popularity

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kamazar, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    So I was thinking about strategies for when I eventually release the two games I've finished but can't release yet (GS subscription), and then I remembered what happened with Backflip Studios and their free game Paper Toss. It was in the top 3 free games for a long time. So long, that they actually ended up making a paid sequel to it that didn't do too bad.

Say you release a small, free (not lite, but totally free) game that's actually fun and addicting in the same sense Cube Runner and Falling Balls is (or close, it's free anyways, it'll probably get some attention if it looks good), it ranks pretty high on the top 100 list of free games, it's gonna bring attention to your company, which'll increase the probability of people buying your other game if they recognize the dev.

Think it'd work?

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    No formula for success in AppStore :p

But I think it's a good idea to keep your game free from the very beginning instead of making it free once you realize it's not selling enough(which is happening to a lot of good games currently).

3. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I was actually considering doing this for a game I was doing. it would be simple and short, and with good controls and it being free of course. then if it has good demand, then i might make a paid sequel.

4. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    very difficult to say. there doesn't seem to be a standard formula that works for everyone.

How is Gomi selling? They made Trace for free which was a huge hit.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Not sure how to find out, but since Trace was really popular, Gomi did get a fair amount of attention.

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Sure, but only if you can get that free app to be crazy popular. You seem to believe that the chances of a top 10 free app are much better than a top 10 paid app. I'd say that's not necessarily true at all.

But, sure if you do get there, then there's a huge upshot. But you could also start your plan with "so, let's say I can win the lottery, then...."

arn

7. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    If you are doing that, don't forget to put ads in to earn money! Also, you could make a ad-free version!:D

8. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    From my experience, a lite version can really help. In my opinion, you have just as good of a chance to make it big with a lite version than with a fully free separate game. It does depend on the game of course :) If you make a lite version, the customer has an instant opportunity to buy the full game, where as if you make a premium version later, some of the customer (or free version downloaders) may have deleted the game thinking a full version was never coming.

So (in my opinion) you make a full version, get it released so you have a link to link to in the free version, make and then submit the free version. Now, if they like the free version, they can buy the full version. If you make a totally separate free game and a premium version later, you are in affect making a lite version and then a full version. Sure, you can get excitement up with the free version, but I think you should have a full game to link to.