Is app localization worth it?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arkanigon, Aug 30, 2009.

1. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I was initially leaving text and graphics independent... so that I could localize easily... but I think incorporating the text into the graphics would give our app a better look. Plus looking on the app store, I'm seeing that a lot of the biggest selling apps only use English anyway...

What do you guys think?

2. yas

yas Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Rōnin developer
    #2 yas, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    I don't know what your app is like, but if it's text-heavy, you might want to look into localization. Otherwise, probably not.

We didn't localize v1.0 of our app because it's (hopefully) intuitive enough for most people to figure out.

Although it's is old, check out the sales data that the guys at Firemint published on Flight Control sales. That should give you an indication of the kind of international sales you can expect for that type of game.

At a minimum, you could localize the App Store description for your target countries.

3. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks yas. :)

4. lws

lws Active Member

You can localize your graphics just the same. It's no problem to prerender the text into the graphics, but you have to do them for every locale you want to support. Thus, it would be quite some work, depending on how many graphics with text you got.

5. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

So not actually the same then.

I would recommend not localising version 1.0. - we localised our title Turbo Duck into French, German, Italian and Spanish. We used a professional localisation company (not too costly as not too much text). We didn't do a Japanese version yet the game sold 5 times as much in Japan as in any of the countries we did do localisation for.

I would suggest launching the app and if there is any significant sales in non-english speaking territories then consider localising.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I had generally good results having the app store description translated. The game itself, hard to say...probably not so much. But the description, for sure, especially Japan...sales went way up there after the description was translated, though the game itself has no Japanese in it.

--Eric

7. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I could find useful info about this topic here.

8. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the responses. That thread is very useful Spotlight. Thanks, appreciate it.