Mac App store! Why the silence?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Really surprised that no one seems to be excited about the January 6th launch date of the Mac App Store . We worked right to the last minute to get YOU ready on Dec 31. But now it seems like no one is really hyping the launch.

Is this going to be a big success? Is there money to be made?

2. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    this isnt really mac arcade.......it is TOUCH ARCADE

there may be hype......but not here

3. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

flash games

In a word flash games. Why pay when you can download emulators,and play flash games for free? Dont get me wrong there is money to be made , only if you spending 6 months to a year developing your game. Its a huge cost for us indie developers.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    hmm well the mac app store is nothing new.. on desktop pcs it will be just another store.. you can buy your mac games directly from the developers, or retail from dozen stores..

on the iphone its the only way to (officialy) get new apps..

on the mac.. well its just another one.. with alot of stupid rules for desktop applications..

and like krehol said.. there is tons on competiton on desktop .. where there is none on the iOS devices.

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Macs already have apps so the launch isnt hyped up. But I'm pretty sure it'll be a success. Atleast for paid apps. Right now I dont really feel comfortable buying apps from a bazillion different sites. MacAppStore will definitely make me buy atleast 5X as many apps (i bought One app last year :p).

6. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    #6 Fleabag323, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    You can touch the screen of your Mac... it just doesn't do anything. :p (except maybe cause smudges)

I bought Photoshop... Does that count? :p
    Also, it's because there's no promo codes on the Mac App Store!
    It's all those greedy devs!!!!111!!1!1! There's not even retina support in the Mac App Store!
    The one thing I am really happy about involving the Mac App Store is that I can use the iTunes gift cards I've saved up for something other than iPhone/iPad apps, like iWork, that I wouldn't be able to use them for before. (I don't buy music) I would hate the Mac App Store though if you couldn't use iTunes Gift Cards or money on your existing Apple ID.

7. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    All Realtech games are going to be released on the mac AppStore.
    Our coder develop our games on mac 1st. And I always make all my textures in HD... So the port is real easy for us... We just need to adjust the control, load the hd datas and boost up the shader and post process.

8. TheBunny

TheBunny Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    MMO Mac Lead ZeniMax Online
    Baltimore
    Plaid World does exactly the same.
    It happens are engine smartly scales down to iOS.

On bad note I got 3 apps rejected from MAS submission last night.

One comment was that they looked like iOS ports... sigh

Which is amusing if we weren't going to miss the launch now.

( apps were all mac first )

9. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I think you're right on the money. A PC/Mac game would have to be damned good, free, or featured by Apple for people to consider buying it. There are just too many free and good emulators and browser based games readily available.