The May 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, May 4, 2017.

1. borb86

borb86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    After countless started saves over so...so many years...I'm off Taris for the first time (I know) and feel super ready to tackle the rest of this game for the first time. I've only put like 6 hours I feel like I definitely need to catch up.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah.., i need to stay neutral (istead of evil) in this area coz i forgot to recruit jolee. If i get banned from the planet now i wont be able to trigger the jolee subquest.

3. Kainamor

Kainamor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Can't wait to get there. I have owned this game for over a year and a half and never got off Taris. I had to tune to catch up a little with you all this weekend. I made it through the race picked up Baristas(probably got her name wrong). Can't wait to see where I get this weekend.

4. borb86

borb86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Good luck! Now that everything I'm playing is legitimately new to me I'm having a blast. Press on and I'm sure you'll be rewarded in the same way :)

5. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Finished up Tatooine. Haven't decided where I'm going next. Maybe the Wookie planet.

6. matthewvanzandt

matthewvanzandt New Member

May 19, 2017
    My podcast, Square Roots, did a play along series on KOTOR a couple of months ago. I'm not going to link it because that's too self promote-y but you can find it everywhere. Maybe check it out?

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im still on manaan. I have progressed significantly though, but now im stuck in the races and cant beat the gamorrean's time.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow... the next minute i went in the game and run a race i beat the gamorrean. LOL

Looks like im leaving manaan sooner than i expected. Hahaha!

9. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Made it off Taris a couple days ago, worked through Dantooine. I chose "Sentinel" as my class - kind of a coinflip between that and Consular - but I figure I'll be pretty hard to kill. Given the choice on which world to visit moving forward, I chose Kashyyyk. Not enjoying the dark environments here, I'm having to crank the brightness and kill my iPad battery. But progress has been steady, and the equipment I've picked up recently has been pretty great.

10. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    This game sure has some interesting sidequests. Check out the text in this computer bootup screen.

Attached Files:

11. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    You know what they say about a woman scorned.

12. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Well Kashyyyk was fun. Me and all my pet Gizkas are off to Manaan. Currently level 7/7 Soldier/Guardian. Excited to get Force Push 3 on my next level up.

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Personally when i play Guardian i usually only go for buff powers. My personal preference for stat distribution is combat oriented, so i couldnt beat enemies' saving throws against my force powers, so they just fizzle or go through at hapf effect. Force speed and the one that increases saving throws are my usual go-tos.

14. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I started with 14 Wisdom and I've put 3 extra into it so far. With the Circlet of Seresh, I'm up to 22 so my modifier is +6 which helps with Force Push. I know I'm reducing damage output by not putting more into strength but I figured force push would be important for crowd control if I was going solo. High wisdom is also helping with mepacs which is nice.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nice... You should try the Insanity force power since your wisdom is quite high. Iirc it's the best power to get for its AOE stun.

16. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I would but I'm going full on light side. Insanity would probably be too expensive to use. My first time through I went full dark side and I have to say it was more fun but I wanted to see what light side was like.

17. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Well, after making plenty of progress, I appear to be stuck. I'm on an unnamed planet trying to get into a settlement, but there's a group of four young / wild Rancors outside and they melee my party to death in 3-4 hits each. I'm level 17-18, I really should be able to handle this, but I haven't been able to keep the silly things stunned long enough for me to pick them off, or separate them so I can fight them one at a time.

I really don't want to blow all my Thermal Detonators on them, but I'm starting to think I don't have much of a choice.

18. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    OK, after sleeping on it I decided to change strategy a little. Apparently I was either having some bad luck or the AI doesn't know how to use Carth. I switched to controlling Carth with dual blasters and Master Power Blast, and he cut through them like they were no issue at all. Sure, my melee people kept going down, but they were enough of a meat shield for me to get through.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Finished Manaan today, but didnt go to any new planets yet. Instead finishing up on the cross planet subquests like Jagi vs Canderous which i have already triggered. Thinking Kashykk will be next after the subquests

20. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Finished up today in 21:30.

My idea of sticking relatively neutral and veering light or dark at the last second technically worked out, but it actually worked to my disadvantage. Being in the middle of the light/dark spectrum kept me from using some of the best equipment. Before I made my final choice to go light right at the end, Carth was vastly outdamaging my tricked-out double lightsabers just by shooting stuff with his tricked-out blasters. I got overwhelmed by simple mooks several times in the last two dungeons, which was kind of frustrating. If I'd swung Light or Dark earlier than I did, I don't think I would have had that problem.

Once I swung Light, I redid my lightsabers with Light-only crystals and meleed the final two bosses to bits pretty easily. All I had to do was chain 2x Master Critical Strike, healing item, rinse and repeat. The only Force power I really needed was Destroy Droid for a couple of segments very late. Having that at a high level was super, super useful.

This was fun to revisit. I was surprised that the first planet was such a large percentage of my game time (6 hours out of 21.5). On one hand, you don't want to give players the keys to the Jedi Ferrari immediately; on the other, that first planet can get genuinely boring when it drags on and on. I knew it would get better, so I stuck with it, but I could see others getting bored.

As a final note, if you really enjoyed your time with this game, I recommend you listen to the podcast "Misanthroplay" episode 40. It's a 2-hour countdown of the hosts' favorite RPGs. Spoilers: they talk about KOTOR in the last 20 minutes, so if you fast-forward to that area, you'll get a lot of good discussion about the game, including some details on how the battle system was programmed. I thought it was neat.

I am very, very much looking forward to next month's Reload Replay. See you all there, even if you don't do the same gimmick I'll be doing!